The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

For real? He looked really good end of last season and should have been a lock with Bo. He's been consistent with him, though often injured. He came in at a modest cap hit and put up. A healthy season of Bo Baer Miller could have been special. I'm a Jim Benning fan but the f***ing fact that Eriksson Goldobin, Schaller, Motte, Gaudette, and Leivo are on the team still and he's not blows my mind. He was a middle 6 winger who was reliable and went to the dirty areas.

Unless Schaller has become some 40 point player, this is a stupid decision

Just now, 5Fivehole0 said:

Like Loui Eriksson and Tim Schaller?

Baertschi must be having PCS symptoms or something...

No.  That's what Benning explained:

"He’s been one of our skilled players the last four years around here. He had good chemistry with Bo, and they played well together. But (Tanner) Pearson plays well together with Bo, too. It’s kind of the evolution about where we’re at as an organization, where we have better players now and we’re going to have to make these hard, tough decisions.”

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

The guy is a physical freak, if he was a good defensive player he would kill penalties.  He's meh

He should strive to be better defensively. If he turned into prime Jannik Hansen on roids he'd be really effective. Could be an elite forechecker with some finish he if actually pulls it together. He has the tool set

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

For real? He looked really good end of last season and should have been a lock with Bo. He's been consistent with him, though often injured. He came in at a modest cap hit and put up. A healthy season of Bo Baer Miller could have been special. I'm a Jim Benning fan but the f***ing fact that Eriksson Goldobin, Schaller, Motte, Gaudette, and Leivo are on the team still and he's not blows my mind. He was a middle 6 winger who was reliable and went to the dirty areas.

Goldy actually got waived too

I'm on the fence over this Baer move, but still have faith in JB to call the shots here

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

And got concussed repeatedly for it.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Like Loui Eriksson and Tim Schaller?

Baertschi must be having PCS symptoms or something...

Eriksson's in the press box according to today's practice lines with Roussel still to return at some point. He's a sacrificial lamb barring further injuries/trades IMO. Not exactly a role I'd envision for Baer...

Schaller gives them another body to PK and better fits a bottom 6 role until Roussel gets back.

Ferland, Pearson and Miller acquisitions bumped him out of the top 6. He requires top 6 usage top produce, wouldn't get that in the bottom 6 and doesn't suit a bottom 6 role.

55 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

I am curious what others think about Pearson. Watched him closely in the 2nd Ottawa pre-season game (not a strong opponent) and he was almost invisible. Several times lost puck battles right in front of where I was sitting and turned away from the play. He seemed to trail the play rather than making it. Horvat left alone at times to fight for the puck. Anyway... maybe just a bad night...... there must be more to him than showed that night.... I guess.

It's preseason as well. Don't invest too much stock into it.

I'm pretty pumped to see Gaudette stay up.  I like the Horvat quote on it about playing in the NHL is the best development.  Nobody gifted Horvat ice time and he had to earn it the hard way and Gaudette is doing the same thing now.  These are the guys who end up being core players for years when guys like Goldobin are possibly forgotten - unless they learn the lesson of hard work and earning it every single day.

I'm really happy for Gaudette. He did have some good chemistry with Baer, but his two scoring passes for goals and his goals in the preseason were so impressive. Elite stuff. He deserves a spot. I have to say that I'm glad they aren't babying Goldobin anymore. He's had plenty of time to work on what they wanted. I wonder if Jake is next under the gun (no pun intended). I'm sure they'll be watching how Eriksson does, but I think Jake has an even bigger audition. He has a spot for now though.