The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Jake Hate????

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

On 10/6/2019 at 10:48 AM, YummyCakeFace said:

The Jake hate is because he’s terrible. What a waste of a 6th overall pick. He does very little.  He has zero idea of what hard work really is.  It’s just not in his DNA.  Nice job mom and dad!

It was not Jake's fault he was drafted at #6, it is Benning's fault. You think Jake was holding a gun to his head forcing him to draft him at #6? There were 12 other players available that Benning could have drafted instead.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

There were 12 other players available that Benning could have drafted instead.

You, sir, are bad at math. There were 210 players drafted that year of which Jake was number 6, leaving 204 other possibilities, not including a wack of players that did not get drafted at all.

• Haha 1

Jake looked great again tonight. ....  I will continue to update in this topic Just incase this topic gets buried. Not trying to start a how important is burrows thread but.....For all the Jake hate to start the season. Just pointing it out is fun. I’ll probably get my  Ferland commentary thrown in my face this year at some point as I’m not feeling any love for him right now but as I predicted Jakes getting some ice time and it’s well deserved. 

Edited by Bertorama
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Bertorama said:

Jake looked great again tonight. ....  I will continue to update in this topic Just incase this topic gets buried. Not trying to start a how important is burrows thread but.....For all the Jake hate to start the season. Just pointing it out is fun. I’ll probably get my  Ferland commentary thrown in my face this year at some point as I’m not feeling any love for him right now but as I predicted Jakes getting some ice time and it’s well deserved. 

Oh my God is this going to be the new "Burrows, do we really need him?" thread.

• 2 months later...

This year's been this weird steady trajectory of improvement in his game. It's like he had an ephinany regarding all things he should have been working on over the past few years.

It's funny because he's on pace for 20 goals and I still find myself frustrated at his lack of finish. If he can put some work into that next offseason he's going to be a weapon. 

Honestly, I credit Roussel for a lot of it. He has that ability to drag other guys into the fight which is what Jake has always struggled with.  Roussel also plays a North-South style that when Jake emulates he has success.

12 points -3 in 27 games before Roussel

11 points +4 in 13 games since Roussel

The eye test difference to me has been pretty stark too.  Normally when Jake rushed the puck in the offensive he would get angled off by the defenceman and end up circling behind the net looking for a pass.  Now he seems to be fighting through the check and driving the net.  It is not only creating scoring chances for him, but Roussel and Gaudette have been able to snap up rebounds.

I still have too many doubts to commit any sort of real team or dollars on Virtanen.  There is enough history that it will take some sustained success before I am convinced this is a sign of a real upward trajectory and him finally “getting it” or just a function of great line mates and feasting on lesser competition on the 3rd line.  Players have career years all the time and then regress to the average.... development isn’t linear.

Having said that, if he can be a 20 goal, 40 point 3rd liner... I think anyone takes that as a win at this point.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

On 10/6/2019 at 3:48 AM, YummyCakeFace said:

The Jake hate is because he’s terrible. What a waste of a 6th overall pick. He does very little.  He has zero idea of what hard work really is.  It’s just not in his DNA.  Nice job mom and dad!

Wow. All sorts of wtf in this post. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

It's interesting to look back on Benning's quotes about Jake in this article from May, 2017 ...

https://theprovince.com/feature/canucks-top-10-prospects-2017/jake-virtanen

"What’s happened with Jake is that in junior he was a big scorer, so he really didn’t have to play a well-rounded game, because his coaches and the team would always count on him to get the big goal.

"What we tried to do this year, by sending him down [to Utica], and practising he learned how to practise hard. He’s transformed his body. He’s in good shape.

"You see in the playoffs, the guys who can get in on the forecheck and are physical, they get the puck and take it to the net. They stand in front of the net and get rebounds, tip-ins,” Benning said. “We’re trying to get his game to a power-forward-styled game. We are happy where he ended up this year. The scoring part will come for him; he can shoot the puck.

"Some guys take longer."

"But it’s getting him to understanding the details and what he’s capable of doing at his size and speed. It takes time. Some guys make the adjustment right away. Some guys take longer. We want to be patient because it’s hard to find power forwards. Unless you draft and develop them, they’re hard to find."

• Upvote 2

I think we have beaten the Drum long enuff with the Hate or frustration. Jake is now producing, and getting better as time marches on. A majority of CDC Posters are obviously the McDonalds children " I want it and I want it right F$#@ing NOW".

PATIENCE grasshoppers ! Shotgun Jake is coming into his Own, Watch & Learn!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2