The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Sens @ Nucks Sept 25 2019 - 2 minutes for cross checking edition -

Rate this topic

xereau

Jake's 5th game I believe.   Most regulars have played 3.  

This means 3 things .

1.  They are showcasing him for a trade. 

2.  They have no clue where to put him in the lineup.   3rd or 4th line .they are trying to see which role works best for him.  

3.  He is really really out of shape and they are trying to get him caught up. 

1 minute ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

This means 3 things .

2.  They have no clue where to put him in the lineup.   3rd or 4th line .they are trying to see which role works best for him.  

or 4. Jake is fighting for a spot in the lineup, similar to Gaudette. 

Even if he is a lock, Green probably wants him to think that he needs to bust his butt out there or he's going back to Utica.  Green has shown he can get through to Jake.  Jake suffers every summertime when it's just himself because let's face it, he just isn't mature enough to put in a good offseason.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

I don’t like that enforcers turned into goons - there is still a place in the game for them.   Not sure they will ever be back, hockey has changed, and guys no longer know that they can fight their way into the show and then learn to play the game, it’s literally being ruled out of the junior levels (too much fighting).  Concussion suits did that.

SO IF the DoPs is to successfully police the game with the rule book - maybe it’s time they took a more radical approach.   That is for certain plays like the one on BB, the guy that commits the crime gets automatically suspended for the length of time his victim is injured for.  Only do this for certain plays.   Ugh.  Ok that wouldn’t work either as it would further pansificate the sport.   Just bring back the enforcer.  There are still a few around start with those and play him as the 13th forward and on the fourth line.  Ferland is the closest thing to it we have now and it’s better then nothing - I just hope he knows what side his bread is buttered on and won’t look away when things like this happen.  I suppose we will find out in the rematch ...but he can’t do it all either - Horvat, JV, Beagle, Miller, Benn and the entire team needs to buy in.   

Enforcers put themselves and their targets at high risk for brain injury, so this kind of solution contradicts itself. Also, do you think guys like Ferland should be treated as cannon fodder?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

This means 3 things .

Or to get him going. It’s no secret Jake has trouble getting his intensity up. Throw him in a bunch of games let him get going. Also with all the bottom 6 competition probably wanna get a leg up on chemistry and who works well with who.

And the obvious conditioning troubles he’s had. Helps to get him in shape quicker with games. Watching him play I don’t think he is “really, really” outta shape.

As a Virtanen fan I’d welcome a trade. Not so sure the fit here is good anymore. And maybe being a hometown kid isn’t helping. Personally I want the Canucks to hire Bert in player development and hand Jake over to him. Green got Jake to be better defensively, Bert will teach him how to use his tools in the most optimal way.

24 minutes ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

This means 3 things .

The answer is: Yes

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Or to get him going. It’s no secret Jake has trouble getting his intensity up. Throw him in a bunch of games let him get going. Also with all the bottom 6 competition probably wanna get a leg up on chemistry and who works well with who.

And the obvious conditioning troubles he’s had. Helps to get him in shape quicker with games. Watching him play I don’t think he is “really, really” outta shape.

As a Virtanen fan I’d welcome a trade. Not so sure the fit here is good anymore. And maybe being a hometown kid isn’t helping. Personally I want the Canucks to hire Bert in player development and hand Jake over to him. Green got Jake to be better defensively, Bert will teach him how to use his tools in the most optimal way.

The things people complain about with jake are the same things people complained about with Bert, not sure that would be a good fit.

I wouldn't be upset about a jake trade, for his sake.......the team would regret it immediately, I'm sure.