The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers, Oct 2, 2019, 7 PM

Rate this topic

KyoNami

Sutter bad giveaway on the GWG with Eriksson blowing the zone. Rookie mistake from Hughes. 

Frustrating game. Canucks outplayed EDM and lost on a bad play. Then Edler hits the post. 0/4 on the PP. Exc.

Atleast its just the start, but we were the better team & there's areas to improve. Starting with personnel/lineup decisions. Need more offense in the forward group & revamp the PP units. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Blunt, mixed-bag of a game. As expected. 

Well Fig. I’ll give these guys more time to get there collective crap together. Hell it’s game one. Boeser hasn’t had much of a preseason. 

Myers and Edler killed it. Hughes made some gaffes but then did his best to win it back. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

My only concern after seeing Draisitl manhandle him is that he really, really needs to bulk up.  We need to be careful who we're giving him as a partner to shelter him.

He doesn't need to bulk up. Hughes will never be able to push 200 pounds of muscle of his skates. What Hughes needs to do is recognize people who are bigger than him and to use his stick and skating to knock the puck off which he has plenty of times in the game.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

Oh yeah, and this. Diluting the power play units is hot garbage. Load up on 1st unit dip$&!#. 

So stupid. We have a depth advantage & what do they do?? Send it down to Utica & park it in the press box.

I said when this roster was set, if Loui Eriksson is on your third line your probably not a playoff team, and there he was tonight. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, brownky said:

About 2 seconds prior Hughes adjusts position about two strides "skater's left" outside of Mcdavid's lane inexplicably during the transition, putting him out of range to make a more effective poke check.

A player makes their own luck.

and yet he's mobile enough to get himself in position to get a stick on the puck.

I think that play was actually as much on Tanev as it was Hughes.

there's a difference between being a rookie with work to do - and being "not NHL ready" as you're suggesting - which is getting carried away.

People are going to have to live with the imperfections that come with rookie/underage defensemen - particularly a pmd like him.

But overall he actually had a decent game without the puck.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

Ah, f$^%& it, can't win em all, glad we got that over with. Defense looked like it was starting to gel, same with forwards, good goal by Edler and assist by Myers.

This is what happens when you don't use the pre season to practice as a team with starting lines. Bo's line looked tight, Pearson played well.

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Didn't like Hugh's on the Mc Jebus goal. He is fast enough to stecher that play across the crease. Tanev gave Hugh's a look after that one.

This was his 6th NHL game and McDavid is the best player in the NHL.

I'd probably just cut Quinn some slack.

• Cheers 1