The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers, Oct 2, 2019, 7 PM

Rate this topic

KyoNami

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Didn't like Hugh's on the Mc Jebus goal. He is fast enough to stecher that play across the crease. Tanev gave Hugh's a look after that one.

Sutter with an awful pass  to start all that while the d were thinking of changing. 

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

This was his 6th NHL game and McDavid is the best player in the NHL.

I'd probably just cut Quinn some slack.

As much as defensive lapses should be criticized, I thought Hughes was dangerous all night. It's a shame that happened to him, because other than that he had a pretty damn good game.

4 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I guess it's totally cool for Smith to yank Pearsons stick from his hands and throw it to the corner.

I guess it's totally cool for Kassian to cross check Pettersson into the boards.

Just a couple exceptions I noticed in the final minutes.

So who should take care of the fast big guys? like Kassian, McDavid

Just now, oldnews said:

and yet he's mobile enough to get himself in position to get a stick on the puck.

there's a difference between being a rookie with work to do - and being "not NHL ready" as you're suggesting - which is getting carried away.

People are going to have to live with the imperfections that come with rookie/underage defensemen - particularly a pmd like him.

But overall he actually had a decent game without the puck.

Bolded for secondary importance.

He had a poor game with it. 3 clear giveaways from the eye test, one neutral zone was tape to tape for an easy skate in. One defensive zone Lumme style right into the middle and one O-zone bad read.

He's got speed and shifty hands, absolutely. Wouldn't argue that, ever. But "today" he's not ready. Put him in the A for 10-15-20 games. Let him get his crash course in "how to defence against actual professional hockey players and not just college guys you're a lot better than" down there. I'm certainly not suggesting bury him for the season, but his training wheels shouldn't be on the 2nd pairing of a pro hockey team whose objective is to fight for points at the end of the season.

It's not as bad as that.  33-22 shots.  Hughes with 23 mins.  Myers comes as advertised.  Miller too.  Ferland looked like he was sick for a good chunk of the pre-season.  And....Tippett teams are as annoying as he!! to play against.  

It's clear that a few players were pretty quiet Virtanen, Schaller, Leivo......I can think of a couple of players who would up the speed like Gaudette and Motte (out for 2 weeks)

Welp I'm signing off tonight.

All that's left in this thread are a bunch of people picking their 19/20 whipping boys.

Looks like Louie/Tim/Jake are in the lead so far.

No mention of the big guns who's jobs are to put the puck in the net though,  

Powerplay was 0/4 tonight.

But yes.  Tonight was ALL Jake Virtanens fault with his 9 minutes of ice time. :rolleyes:

You know it's one game.  And you know  people have hacked on him before. And you know he's still alive so anything is possible.  

But for the love of God how can Virtanen bring so little energy to start the year? It's the first game and he has no fire.  

Oh jeez. It's just sad. 

5 minutes ago, The Aquamen said:

Honestly our PP killed us tonight, enough. No more excuses, we need our PP to take us places. Why is this still an issue? I don’t care if the pick gets moved this and that. Score man

I don't understand what they are doing. Why is Leivo on the first unit?? I don't hate Edler as a PP guy, but they should put Hughes with Pettersson.

Hughes can create offense himself, it'll take some pressure off Pettersson. If they are cheating to Pettersson that creates space for Hughes to skate into & dish/shoot.

Load up the first unit more. Take Leivo out, add Horvat or Ferland. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1