The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers, Oct 2, 2019, 7 PM

Rate this topic

KyoNami

14 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yep, I’m sure they have a plan to get Gaudette into the lineup early and often... otherwise kinda silly to have him here.  Had a great preseason.. hope he carries it over!

Depending on how things go I’m pretty sure he won’t have to wait long.  TG won’t have his lines set probably until sometime mid-November.   And AG definitely could sneak in there and steal a spot - and won’t have to wait long to get some games (not because I’m assuming there will be injuries- but because TG also wants to see what he can do and add to the team, otherwise he’d be waived already). 

• Cheers 2

How will Markstrom and Demko do this year? None of the goaltenders looked very good in the preseason IMO, maybe Demko made some big saves in one of his games. But without an elite puck stopper, getting into the playoffs might be tough, let alone having much success. Markstrom played really good last year, or so it appeared, but he still had his worst GAA since the 2014/15 season. He did face a lot of shots, so hopefully the improved D can cut those shots down.

Just now, IBatch said:

Depending on how things go I’m pretty sure he won’t have to wait long.  TG won’t have his lines set probably until sometime mid-November.   And AG definitely could sneak in there and steal a spot - and won’t have to wait long to get some games (not because I’m assuming there will be injuries- but because TG also wants to see what he can do and add to the team, otherwise he’d be waived already). 

Green talks about playing faster.  One thing Gaudette does well is play fast.  He skates fast.  He moves the puck fast.  He thinks the game fast.  He's in the fore-check fast.  When he's on the ice our team plays faster.  

58 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Me too.  I’ve suggested he’s TG Megna...and the minutes are their to prove it - first line, first PP unit etc - yet his production isn’t better then LEs when he’s given the rare opportunity.   And JV continues to get nothing...not that he’s necessarily earned it - but maybe if he was given the chance he’d actually do a lot better.   Key the Leivo lovers replies ... 

Agree completely

• Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

You advocating giving Petey a night off?   Beagle is a fitness nut; he doesn't need extra games off.

I accept that Beagle is a fitness nut, and that Petey is a phenom.  However, we travel a lot.  Maybe it's a good idea to rest some of our higher minute guys the odd game?  We have (clearly) five NHL caliber centers.  Let's take advantage of that , no?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Canucks are in trouble, how do they match up with those physical guys? They have to play Hughes and Stecher at some time and I don't think Eriksson or any of the bottom six are asking for a dance card with any of those guys. If Jake does there goes his shoulder again.

Yeah, Granlund will really have the boys heads on a swivel

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr.BRR said:

I don't want to be devil advocate here but I think if we are hoping for 84 goals from those players who will see hard minutes against teams top lines then I think we will end up disappointed. I think the biggest upswing in goals will come from our defence.  This bottom 6, if healthy, does have the chance to produce and I like leivo, Sutter and beagle a lot, but to fill the net like that when I think our whole team scored 219 last year is shooting for the stars. I hope I eat my words but I would be happy with 55-60 goals from these players, an extra 10 from the back end and an extra 20-30 from our top 6!!

Go Nucks Go. I'll see you guys on here tonight!

also I think if gaudette gets in he has a better chance of boosting the bottom 6 goals. cheers!

The entire Canuck defense core put up 27 goals last year so "an extra 10" would be 37

The current top 5 (not including QH) averages a combined 22 goals a season over their careers.

Edler 8

Myers 7

Tanev 2

Benn 2 

Stecher 2

So basically QH and whatever depth D that draw into the lineup over the course of the season have to score roughly 15 goals. Might be a tad optimistic. And no need to point out the obvious "this player could remain healthy" this player could take a step up" "this player could have a bounce back season" because the opposite of all these arguments is just as likely to happen.

Also considering Miller and Ferland are both new to the Top 6, i'd say that if the Top 6 only scores 20-30 more goals then both of them would have had rough first seasons in Vancouver as most expect EP, Brock and Bo to hopefully score 20-30 more just between the 3 of them this season.

Just now, Alflives said:

I accept that Beagle is a fitness nut, and that Petey is a phenom.  However, we travel a lot.  Maybe it's a good idea to rest some of our higher minute guys the odd game?  We have (clearly) five NHL caliber centers.  Let's take advantage of that , no?

We can, by putting one on the wing to give Green more flexibility with deployment.  Having the ability to put two centers out for a defensive zone faceoff is incredibly useful.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Well 50% of teams don’t start at home ;)

It is actually logically possible that every team but one starts on the road. Thirty teams could all play their first game on the road against the thirty-first team.

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

We can, by putting one on the wing to give Green more flexibility with deployment.  Having the ability to put two centers out for a defensive zone faceoff is incredibly useful.

Sutter is great in his own zone, but he's terrible as a center beyond that.  I think he would make an excellent winger.  Have Sutter take the D zone draws though, and play the center role defensively on D zone starts.  All other starts, or changes on the fly, Hockey Gaud is the center.  

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. J. said:

It is actually logically possible that every team but one starts on the road. Thirty teams could all play their first game on the road against the thirty-first team.

Oh and now you go bringing Advanced Analytics in lol

I don't think the Oil are going to be nearly as bad as people think they will.  McD and LD can win games on their own and their d is a little more experienced and a little better, imo.  Their weakest spot is going to be in net and that's going to cost them wins.

I expect McD and LD to be flying tonight, whereas the Canucks are likely to have a growing period with new players coming and trying to build chemistry.  Of course, if they lose, the sky will be falling.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3