The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Totally, Bo's line was a bright spot. Once they click and start anticipating where to find each other..  !!

So why is it the nucks have such sluggish starts? It's consistent and bothersome. I might be wrong, but it would seem that the coach staff can implement a different pregame routine which might better prepare them for puck drop

He can tinker with pre-game routine, for sure, but most players have their own pre-game routine that they follow, as opposed to a team one.  I think TG is in a feeling out process with all the new faces and lines too........he has to figure out which lines work well together and which ones are the best to start games to set the tone.  Like others, i do feel he trys to match lines a little too much, rather than just rolling his 4 lines a little more than he does.  I'd like to see him being more proactive than reactive, no argument

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, luckylager said:

All I'm asking is for Green to have the team start the game like it could be won in the first 5 mins, because we've lost countless games in the first 5 mins over the years.

I like this idea. The Canucks can play with urgency, but we often don’t see it until late in the game. They need a fire lit under them right before the first shift.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

even with the mistakes that was one of the best looking d groups we've had in years. Hughes-Tanev is going to move up the pairings fast. 

I wasn't able to watch all of the game. From what I did see, Hughes was caught a few times. But he didn't let that stop him from playing his game, trying to cycle and move the puck in the offensive zone, and all-round try to emulate what we all want his game to be once he's reached his prime. I expect he won't be caught as much once he develops to the NHL game. :)

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

An Al Pacino like speech before the game couldn't hurt. Bo should take the starting faceoff for every game as well. 

I'm with you that Bo's line should start the games......they are, truly, the top line.

By the time players to this stage, rah rah pre-game speeches don't have much effect, imo.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I agreed with most of what you said, but not this.

He was gifted a golden opportunity and, as the superstar he is, made it count.   But he didn't have a glaring stand out game to me...I think we did fairly well to neutralize him.  I noticed Kass and Draisaitl the most.  

I agree....like I started in my original post... we did a good job shutting down connor and leon... they diddnt get many chances. Your absolutely right for most of the night we diddnt even hear the name mcdavid.

But I stand by my statement.... the game winning goal play, mcdavid turned it up... we made a bad play

.. and he attacked with full speed.... speed that in my eyes quinn wasnt ready for ( because he hasn't experiance it yet) and tanev wasnt ready and out of position for. Otherwise... why not take the body? .

Ether way I think we played a solid game and should have won. 

I mean if your gonna get stung.... getting stung by the best player in the world is nothin to be upset about.

Its gonna be a great year

:)

cheers

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

even with the mistakes that was one of the best looking d groups we've had in years. Hughes-Tanev is going to move up the pairings fast. 

All 3 d pairings looked a bit out of sync, but once they know each other's tendencies we'll have the best dcorps we've had in years.

Losing to the coil always burns my ass, but I think we'll be feasting on them once the guys start clicking, if not, it's time for a new staff / system.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, luckylager said:

All 3 d pairings looked a bit out of sync, but once they know each other's tendencies we'll have the best dcorps we've had in years.

Losing to the coil always burns my ass, but I think we'll be feasting on them once the guys start clicking, if not, it's time for a new staff / system.

4 minutes ago, 112 said:

I wasn't able to watch all of the game. From what I did see, Hughes was caught a few times. But he didn't let that stop him from playing his game, trying to cycle and move the puck in the offensive zone, and all-round try to emulate what we all want his game to be once he's reached his prime. I expect he won't be caught as much once he develops to the NHL game. :)

it was more just the ability to get out of the zone for me and the passing, I didn't feel like they were trapped for that much of the game even with the early season yips 

Hughes will be just fine, I think he actually learned as the game went on. Best guys don't need to be told what to do, he seems like a self-starter like Petey. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

To be fair last night if it wasn't for Drai, Edmonton probably would have lost. The team is playing two of the best players in the league. Those two can win the battles, but long term I think Edmonton is going to lose the war. Early season rust. If the team goes 0-10 then be worried.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it was more just the ability to get out of the zone for me and the passing, I didn't feel like they were trapped for that much of the game even with the early season yips 

Hughes will be just fine, I think he actually learned as the game went on. Best guys don't need to be told what to do, he seems like a self-starter like Petey. 

Watching Hughes and Myers actually skate the puck out of the zone is so refreshing. 

"Don't mind me, I'll just provide a clean exit on my own, back me up"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3