The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, stawns said:

How did the bottom six not play well?  That seems to be the mantra after that game, but I can't see what they could have done much differently.  Their job is, literally, to prevent goals, which they did.  Of the 4 lines, Petey's looked the worst, how about pointing fingers there if you need to point fingers at all 

Their play just seemed to lack energy and immediacy

Not disagreeing with peteys lines 

I will say I've never been a fan of Schaller or Leivo

13 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

That bottom 6 is pathetic, no way Baertschi and Gaudette shouldn't be in there.

I agree. A third line of Baertschi Gaudette Leivo/Virtanen would be much better. It's like we're scared to deploy an offensive lineup. In todays NHL you need three lines that can score. With that, I am still excited for this Canucks team. I think they have the capability of making the playoffs and probably deserved to win game 1.

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Watched the game on PVR, then tried to go through the PGT but what a disaster.  Clearly there were two very different pesrpectives on the game, and it's evidently not worth going any further (on page 9).

For the first game of the season and on the road, notwithstanding the first 10 minutes the Canucks looked GREAT.  They were clearly the d-zone and transitioning very quickly, and in the third period especially, I don't think I've ever seen a Canucks team throw the puck around that fast on the attack.  The Oilers were not one but two or three steps behind and were simply out-classed.

Apparently Hughes said he figured it's going to take them 30 games to get fully in sync and that's no surprise, but they are looking VERY good if this is indicative of how they're going to play this year.  All this crying and whining is absolutely laughable, and anyone posting "tank" gifs is doing nothing but mindless trolling.  For a moment I had to check the URL to make sure I hadn't accidentally ended up on HF Boards.

Bunch of knee jerk reactions immediately after a loss. Seems people are a bit more level headed today after being able to absorb it all.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, apollo said:

Yup. Married now and finally matured up and stopped partying. Exactly what Jake needs imo lol 

He's done partying and trained hard all year. Really happy for him. 

That being said sucks that he had to go beast mode VS our boys. Nice to see he's put his demons behind him. 

You can just see it on his face he stopped hitting the slopes so hard

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

For all of us who still route for Kassian...

Good to see him working and being effective in a gravy role with the big guns. 

C1202191-F5F7-48F0-A26D-623254F3029B.thumb.jpeg.b0a4c898c856cb9753552685260d8bda.jpeg

I’ll always cheer for this guy. 

Heart and soul guy. 

He’s a beauty.

one of the only players who actually looks like a hockey player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

For those on the 'we got screwed by the refs' train, I watched the game with my buddy who is an Oilers fan and he was whining about missed calls all night too.

Needless to say, every team's fans feel victimized by alleged shotty officiating. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

For those on the 'we got screwed by the refs' train, I watched the game with my buddy who is an Oilers fan and he was whining about missed calls all night too.

Needless to say, every team's fans feel victimized by alleged shotty officiating. 

That's because every team in the league suffers needlessly at the hands and whistles of the most incompetent officials in professional sports.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Yeah, not sure this makes it ok or us feel better?

There are missed calls and then there are HE THREW THE STICK missed calls.  There's a difference...some are subtler than others.

Also:  hope you showered afterward.  :towel:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Forget Kassian and McDavid, Smith won this game for them. The good news is that the Canucks generated over 30 shots and limited McJesus and Friends to 22 shots. Canucks should've won this game, but Smith played above his level on this night, while Markstrom was just okay. I still think once the Canucks get going, watch out. Hopefully they don';t fall too far behind trying to figure things out.

The Canucks basically have two years to get back to the playoffs. They traded a 1st, with the confidence they would get back to the playoffs. But, what if they don't? Should Green be held responsible instead of Benning?  

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Forget Kassian and McDavid, Smith won this game for them. The good news is that the Canucks generated over 30 shots and limited McJesus and Friends to 22 shots. Canucks should've won this game, but Smith played above his level on this night, while Markstrom was just okay. I still think once the Canucks get going, watch out. Hopefully they don';t fall too far behind trying to figure things out.

The Canucks basically have two years to get back to the playoffs. They traded a 1st, with the confidence they would get back to the playoffs. But, what if they don't? Should Green be held responsible instead of Benning?  

I dont think we can answer that right now. As of now benning has given green a great team to work with.  If green can make the show in the lowly west by next year thats on him. Buuuuuut you dont know what kind of moves benning will or wont make. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mll said:

Barrie Trotz questions the effectiveness of just shooting pucks on net.  He wants his players to learn how to create high percentage plays instead of wasting shots.  When the Capitals won they were the team with the least shots that season.  

Trotz says you 1st have to create a great scoring chance and then only you shoot.  He's basically preaching the opposite of the adage get pucks on net and good things will happen.

He talks of using advanced stats to adjust the way he coaches (*) - he is really focused on creating high percentage plays rather than improving the low percentage ones.  He admits that he doesn't have enough pop up front in NYI to execute (unlike Washington) but as they add skills their numbers should improve.

Holtby says the shots that are hard to stop are not what most people think and that a high volume of shots off low scoring plays builds confidence for the goalie.

If the goalie gets his eyes on the puck for more than 0.5 seconds, only 2.7% of shots turn into goals - not even 3 goals on 100 shots.  Yet between 60 to 70% of shots in a game are clear-sighted shots.  Trotz is trying to have his players limit taking those kind of shots.  You lose possession and there's too little chance of scoring.

(*) Trotz is very critical of Corsi and doesn't seem to think much of those advanced stat websites because they often paint an incomplete if not false picture.  Unfortunately so many still like to use Corsi and what not in arguing the worth of a player or how the team played.   The numbers he uses are not readily available to the public.  It rejoins what McPhee was saying that he trusts advanced stats more than the eye test but that the numbers in the public are pretty much useless.

When they met a year ago in the conference finals, Winnipeg outshot Vegas and had far more possession time yet they lost the series.  Winnipeg players felt they should have won because they had the puck more and put it on bad luck.  Vegas created more high danger plays while Winnipeg were trying to capitalise on low scoring plays.  It happened to Washington too vs the Penguins where they were outshooting them - that's likely when Trotz started looking at effectiveness rather than volume / possession time.

Ahh,

I agree with what you're saying. The crux of my "just shoot it" in this instance argument hinges on the statement preceding - defending team clogging up the lanes and collapsing to protect the slot and the net.

Use the defending teams' own players as your screen for the shot. It's absolutely true, a goalie that gets a good look at the puck is gonna save it easy in 99% of cases, but when you've got a whole team worth of players to look through, it becomes a lot harder for a goalie to pick up a puck in that traffic, much less if it kicks off a skate or a stick randomly. 

If there's no traffic in front at all... yeah, don't shoot it. But the Myers/Pearson and Edler goals were directly resultant from traffic (one being a tip). That's more what I mean.

The one thing about possession time that is critical is "the other team can't score if you have the puck" - but the counter to that argument is "if you never shoot it and are always waiting for the perfect time, you're not gonna score either. I remember many wasted Sedin powerplays where they'd just pass the puck around in the corner and try to draw the other team out to chase them around - if the defending team was 'well coached' to stay put and let them cycle forever, that pass and shot never came. That said, if they chased it was probably going in the net.

• Like 1