The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The overreaction to the first game was stupefying. They played an overall solid game. Mistakes were made by both teams that led to goals. Players are still shaking the rust off, some getting used to new linemates on new teams. The first game of the regular season is just that.

How dare you! Reason and logic have no place in these forums sir.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Totally, Bo's line was a bright spot. Once they click and start anticipating where to find each other..  !!

So why is it the nucks have such sluggish starts? It's consistent and bothersome. I might be wrong, but it would seem that the coach staff can implement a different pregame routine which might better prepare them for puck drop

Once back, start every game with Motte and Gaudette, two players whose motors are never idling, with either Leivo or Jake as the 3rd 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Once back, start every game with Motte and Gaudette, two players whose motors are never idling, with either Leivo or Jake as the 3rd 

people need to temper their expectations on gaudette. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Green doesn't have a ps4 controller on the bench.  All coaches want their teams to come out of the gate flying, it's up to the players to do it.

I agree that lack of chemistry was the problem last night......first period was frantic, for sure, but they settled down after that.  I know one thing, teams are going to have a hard time handling Bo, Pearson and Miller........big, fast, skilled and physical down low.

Having watched a few Ducks games on local TV (my winters in the south)   Bo's new line reminds me of Getzlaf's line of a few years ago when he was in his prime. - heavy, fast and skilled

Well coaches usually don't tweak the lineup if they win.  So I hope TG gets a tweakin:

Ferland- Petey - Boeser (Man Brock looked off hopefully its only rust and this line can gel)

Pearson - Bo - Miller   (They earned another game together)

Leivo - Gaud - Virtanen   (Sutter on RW only if TG thinks he needs the security blanket)

** Motte/Schaller - Beagle - Sutter   (Virtanen if TG won't play Sutter here see above)

** This line gets all of their starts in the D zone.

I find it perplexing that Virtanen can't/hasn't killed penalties.  It is very telling and not in a good way if TG won't trust him.  With his speed he would be a break away machine if given the opportunity.  

Once Rousell is back. 

Ferland- Petey - Boeser  

Pearson - Bo - Miller 

Roussel - Gaud - Leivo

Motte/Virtanen - Beagle - Sutter/Virtanen  

If Baertschi can get back up he is my 13th forward and comes in and out depending on the opponent.  He slides in on the 3rd and Roussel moves down and Virt or Sutter sit or are shipped out:

They are really gonna have to make some moves come December if there are no injuries and Roussel is back.    

Edited by Borvat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The overreaction to the first game was stupefying. They played an overall solid game. Mistakes were made by both teams that led to goals. Players are still shaking the rust off, some getting used to new linemates on new teams. The first game of the regular season is just that.

Ain't it great to have Canuck hockey back?!!

We waste no time here on CDC.  Its all in, from the get go!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

people need to temper their expectations on gaudette. 

I agree.  (I was going to add to the original post that Jake's role was to staple the incoming forward on the boards after Gaudette inevitably lost that first draw. - although he did have good faceoff numbers in his final 2 games)

Or add Boeser to the two and call it the Hobey Baker line  - a winner flanked by 2 finalists 

• Upvote 1

650 concensus seems to be that Gaudette replaces Virtanen, Sutter moves to wing and Leivo drops to 4th line.

Green likes his duos, and as long as Motte and Roussel are out, he will stick with Sutter and Eriksson on pk1 and Beagle with Schaller on pk2

Here are my takes from the game.

1) Overall the canucks had a good game, and probably should've won or at least got a point.  They were outplayed for 10 min. in the first, but the better team for the rest of the game.  1st goal against, Marky should've played the rebound better, but it was a great play by Kassian to push out Edler, get the rebound, and make a nice pass to Draisatl.  Draisatl was the best player on the ice for either team, by far.  

2)  The PP was pretty decent in my opinion.  In reality, the PP pretty much scored a goal, Edler's was 1 second after the PP had ended.  Both units looked good with controlled play in the zone.  Probably should've scored another goal but Smith made some nice saves.  

3) The PK held the Oilers off, but a bit lucky.  Markstrom made some grade A saves, but as the saying goes, the goalie has to be the best PKer.

4) In my mind the Canucks lost the game on the 2nd goal.  Not only do they get scored on, but it was only like 1:10 after they scored the go ahead goal.  There should've been a holding the stick penalty on Mike Smith, but the cause of the goal was a bad line change.  The canucks didn't get back in time to cover Kassian.  Draisatl made a great play for this goal, and it was a great shot by Kassian.

5) The 3rd goal was again a good play by the Oilers.  Sutter was a little unlucky as he tried a bank pass off the boards, and I believe it was Draisatl again who intercepted the puck after it banked off the boards (great hand eye).  A little lucky too since after the puck was intercepted, the puck hit the ref/linesman giving a little bit more time for the oilers to get the puck to McDavid.  Just a good goal by McDavid, showing why he's pretty much the best player in the game right now.

6) The Canucks second line was their best line today.  They should've had more than just the 1 goal.  Miller had a breakaway, Pearson had 11 shots.  Bo i thought was a little off, but all in all it was a good game.  The top line though was the deciding factor.  Your best players have to be your best players to win.  The Oilers best players were better than the Canucks best players.

7) Overall, it was a good game for the Canucks.  They just need to get more timing together, and shake off a bit of rust.  If they continue to play like this, they will be in the playoffs.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You can play great every game but if you don't win then its all for nothing. Need to win games against division rivals to make the playoffs in the new format, its a four point swing. 

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

650 concensus seems to be that Gaudette replaces Virtanen, Sutter moves to wing and Leivo drops to 4th line.

Green likes his duos, and as long as Motte and Roussel are out, he will stick with Sutter and Eriksson on pk1 and Beagle with Schaller on pk2

To be fair Virtanen I dont think is the problem, he played 9 mins and had 3 hits and a takeaway. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

To be fair Virtanen I dont think is the problem, he played 9 mins and had 3 hits and a takeaway. 

I thought he had a decent game too. I don't understand why Green won't try him on the PK.  His speed would intimidate their power play. (I guess Green hasn't seen any video of the Bure/Courtnall duo on a penalty kill -  at times the opposition were wary of crossing the blue line, fearful of conceding a breakaway)

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I would argue Smith stole that game. He made some stellar saves.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

you do realize we lost to the Oilers right?

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

You can play great every game but if you don't win then its all for nothing. Need to win games against division rivals to make the playoffs in the new format, its a four point swing. 

I'm sure the team was disappointed in the outcome of the game. Having numerous posters scream about the sky falling is redundant.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm sure the team was disappointed in the outcome of the game. Having numerous posters scream about the sky falling is redundant.

Ya still lots of hockey to play but with Calgary and LA up next they better figure out their sh*t. Maybe put a hungry guy like Gaudette in. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ya still lots of hockey to play but with Calgary and LA up next they better figure out their sh*t. Maybe put a hungry guy like Gaudette in. 

Need better goal-tending too.  Marky can't leave big, fat, juicy rebounds like he did on that first goal.  

• Upvote 1