The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone care to tell me why the SABERS are playing so DARN GOOD ( Discussion )

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

23 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It was inevitable that the Oilers and Sabres show some improvement with good coaching. There's no way a team with McDavid/Draisaitl and Eichel and Dahlin should be bad.

Maybe not deep enough for a cup run. But they should be dangerous enough to make the playoffs. 

Didn't the Sabres storm out of the gate last year too?

They were ok in the beginning but hit a 10-game winning streak in November.  The nice thing about this unbeaten streak is that the goals are coming from every line, not just the Eichel line.

The two problems that I preached about last year was the Sabres being a one line team and the goaltending.  Between Krueger's coaching and the new guys that Jason Botterill brought in, they're now getting secondary scoring.  They only addressed the goaltending problem by bringing in a new hotshot goalie coach so I'm still skeptical when it comes to the goaltending.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Risto is only a -1.  That is the main reason.  As well as the fact that Dahlin looks to be a franchise defenceman...

Not the main reason, but it helps that Ristolainen has decided to actually play defence this season.  It also helps that Krueger has cut Risto's minutes so that he isn't constantly on the ice.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

Management. 

Buffalo was really stable under GM Darcy Regier 1997-2013 and Coach Lindy Ruff 1997-2013 and took the team from a peak in 1999 when they made the SCF, through a renewal period and another peak in 2006-07 when they finished 1st in the north east with 113 points and made the conference finals. This was followed by missing the playoffs 2 years, and then making the playoffs with early exits for 2 seasons.  They led the Northeast with 100 points in 2009-10.  

The GM/Coach combo was let go in 2013 and the team has missed the playoffs every year since.  That's 8 years in a row which is eclipsed only by the Oilers in futility who missed the playoffs 10 years running and 12 of the last 13 years since making the SCF in 2006.  Who can forget the epic tank in 2015 for McDavid.  

Anyhow, the Sabres went with Jason Botterill in 2017 who was poached from Pittsburgh and was only 41 at the time and was considered to be a top hockey mind with a great future.  Botterill hired legendary Sabre, Phil Housley as his Head Coach and 2 seasons later, has hired Ralph Kruger.  Kruger has had success in Europe and is also a cast off head coach of our favorite Oilers (2012-13) and former Chairman of the Southampton English football club (2014-19).  He's a smart and talented guy but.....The club is on it's 2nd GM and 5th head Coach since 2013.

I think we know that what they need is good people and stability.  Here's hoping that they've found it.

Edited by Crabcakes

15 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

And because of the quality franchise that Edmonton is, they fired him over Skype. :blink:

@Nuck1991 What's confusing about the above statement or is it a faux minus because you're an Oilers fan? 

Edmonton actually did fire Krueger over Skype rather than telling him in person before he left for the off-season.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Sabres have some great young players on their team and it's nice to see them showing their stride; especially for he long suffering fans.

I like their team and think they will show a consistent improvement this season.  Sabres have a much more balanced team than the Coilers.

Go Sabres Go (except when you play your cousins of course)!

• Cheers 1

They had a 9 game winning streak last year and still finished 5th last in the league.

Up front they have 3 solid lines, but their goaltending is still questionable, even with the upgraded defensive core. 

At best, they’re a bubble team, much like us.

8 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

@Nuck1991 What's confusing about the above statement or is it a faux minus because you're an Oilers fan? 

Edmonton actually did fire Krueger over Skype rather than telling him in person before he left for the off-season.

relax dude i didnt even know i hit that confused button. Hold your panties

56 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

relax dude i didnt even know i hit that confused button. Hold your panties

Get a clue princess.  I was actually serious.  When someone puts a confused face on one of my posts, I almost always ask them if they need clarity unless it's obvious they're using it as a faux minus.  I didn't just decide to single you out for no reason.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Get a clue princess.  I was actually serious.  When someone puts a confused face on one of my posts, I almost always ask them if they need clarity unless it's obvious they're using it as a faux minus.  I didn't just decide to single you out for no reason.

when some one put confused i always ask..u cry baby. get a life 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

At this point Buffalo. Vancouver had their window in 2010/2011 but now Buffalo is far ahead with their rebuild

I don't think that is true.  They have 2 studs in Eichel and Dahlin.  They had to get the top 2 picks in the draft to get them.  We got Pettersson and Hughes without having a top 4 pick.  They have Reinhart, Olofsson and Skinner.  We have BO, Brock and Miller.  They have Johansson and Okposo.  We have Pearson and Ferland.  They have Mittelstadt, we have Gaudette and even Madden coming up.  We can pretty well match all of their forwards.  Our goaltending is much stronger and we have Demko and DiPietro as young prospects.  Buffalo only has Luukkonen.  On defence, the edge is to Buffalo but not by much.  Most of our young prospects are not on the team right now, Tryamkin, Juolevi, Woo, Rathbone, Brisebois and Utunen.  We also have a wild card in Virtanen.  We still don't know what he will become. 

But the kicker for me is last year's draft.  Podkolzin and Hoglander are two studs that are built for the NHL game.  Those two will take us over the top.  Buffalo drafted Cozens and Johnson.  I think Podkolzin is better than Cozens.  I think Podkolzin was the 3rd best player in the draft.  Maybe even equal to Kakko.  And I think Hoglander was a first round pick that we stole in the 2nd round.

Time will tell.  But in 2 years when all of our draft picks are in the lineup Canucks fans are going to get real excited at the team that Benning has built through the draft over the last 6 years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

LeBrun in the Athletic on Krueger:  [...] I don’t know how many times I need to repeat it, but there are few people I’ve encountered in 25 years doing this job that have left a bigger impression on me than Krueger. If anyone has a chance to figure out how the Sabres can take the next step, I feel strongly it’s him. It won’t be rosy all year, there are challenging times ahead, but this guy has the personality and acumen to handle it.

• Cheers 1

On 10/11/2019 at 6:06 PM, Snapshot85 said:

Ok I know were 5 games in..... but there's something diffrent about Buffalo this year.... I watched them lately.... it's like they all finally decided to get it at the same time. They certainly are not lacking   the talent. 

Are they really this good? Or this a optical illusion? 

Cheers

Lets wait and see. Remember Vancouver's start last year/