The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 12, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why?  Many thought Hank and Danny had a ceiling, but they proved the naysayers wrong.  We are fans; we want our guys to be great. Petey is a 100 plus point guy, who (along with Norris trophy winner Hughes) will lead us to three Cups this coming decade.

He very well could be a 100pt guy. But do you want to put that pressure on him right now.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm starting to question whether our guys are your guys.  Hmmm.

I'm only being realistic.

I'm a huge Pettersson supporter. I bought his jersey last November. But fact of the matter is i don't like people slapping the McDavid/Crosby tag on him and saying "oh well if McDavid/kucherov/crosby can figure it out then why can't pettersson?" 

Fact of the matter is he is not that player right now and he may not become that player in the future. But if he does prove me wrong and break through ceilings that we didnt expect then that would be amazing.

Edited by buddyguy

6 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Alot of people ripping on Leivo but watch him go out and score 2 the next game.

Everyone has off nights and this was one of them for him.  He's still a good all around player

he is a nice depth player for sure. But I dont think he is a long term top 6 fixture on our team with the players we have now. Could be a solid 3rd line of:

Roussel Gaud Leivo

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

I'm a huge Pettersson supporter. I bought his jersey last November. But fact of the matter is i don't like people slapping the McDavid/Crosby tag on him and saying "oh well if McDavid/kucherov/crosby can figure it out then why can't pettersson?" 

Fact of the matter is he is not that player right now and he may not become that player in the future. But if he does prove me wrong and break through ceilings that we didnt expect then that would be amazing.

Why insult our young star players?  You do realize we need our young stars to be stars for us to win a Cup, right?  

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

He will be a great player, just needs to fill out that frame of his more over the next couple years. I have no doubt he can be a dominant player in the league but I am not putting "X" pt total minimums for him to be hitting in his SOPHOMORE season...Let the KID continue to adapt to the NHL as they have adapted to him.

Also, might not be a bad thing to move Brock to Bo's line for a bit and maybe put another speedster like Jake up with Elias for a bit to see how he can do with 2 GOOD players.

I have more expectations for EP and the entire team over the next 2-6 years vs this season and next. Got to grow together and develop chemistry, team toughness etc etc 

Well said

2 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

I wouldn't do that. This will kill Virtanen's growth. 

How so its year 5 of being a Pro? Time to give him that chance and see if he takes it and runs or if he flounders it. If he doesn't show he can do it then, most likely we are stuck with him being a bottom 6 player.

But not to worry, I don't see Coach Green giving him a long leash in a top 6 role, if any. But on a 4th line, thats a waste deployment of Virtanen in my opinion. Don't draft a guy with scoring, speed and hitting ability to be a 4th liner

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I haven't seen anyone slapping a label on but I have seen people (you) comparing him - and that's unfair at this stage in the game.    Now you're saying "he's not that player RIGHT NOW" and used "may not".  Which also has a flip side..."may".  That's my point - "too early to tell".  

Besides, this new stance of yours is slightly different (softer) than:

You're making definitive, bold statements.  How do you know what he'll be in his prime?  None of us do.

And of course he's not at the same level right now....they've had a head start. 

We're not slapping a label on him but I think you are as you're assessing things in advance and even projecting into his prime that "he will be below".  And I'm disputing that because I've yet to see the crystal ball to confirm things.

In your opinion is only that and we have opinions too.

Deb, here is the post I was referring to. Please read it over and let me know your thoughts. Thanks

4 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

Petey being a ' known scorer ' is not a legit excuse. Kucherov/McDavid/Draisaitl/Crosby/Ov etc etc are all ' known scorers ' yet get it done almost every night. Why can't Petey figure it out? He's been in a massive slump.. sure he is young but still not an excuse IMO. 

Edited by buddyguy
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

Deb, here is the post I was referring to. Please read it over and let me know your thoughts. Thanks

4 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

Petey being a ' known scorer ' is not a legit excuse. Kucherov/McDavid/Draisaitl/Crosby/Ov etc etc are all ' known scorers ' yet get it done almost every night. Why can't Petey figure it out? He's been in a massive slump.. sure he is young but still not an excuse IMO. 

I understand that.

My point is:   just as this guy has slapped this label on and is expecting him to "figure it out"/be in that league, your post argues that he won't be.  And that's a label in itself.

It's too early to tell/panic.  But Petey's already shown us his greatness and won an award based on it.  So it's leaning in that direction.

• Upvote 2

I like that we saw EP shouting/ranting at himself. Everyone brace themselves to see this kid, as he goes stylish beast-mode.

& Leivo? WhaddyaGUYZwant? Freeken'Carcone?! Can't anyone appreciate they're back playing, & for once we have some flippin' depth?

NO Replies, but I'll keep ranting me'self..GIVE BAER a FEW WKS to get some GD confidence!!! That's such a serious health matter, does no one have a F*cking modicum of patience in these GD times?

Snowflake, self-entitlement issues? Whatever it is..are some folks trying to turn beautiful CDC into a sabotaging-extension of HFBoards? Good Lord...

• Like 1