The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 12, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Myers and Hughes have been outstanding the past few games - and they fit nicely in the mix imo.  Also couldn't help but notice how many really timely, aggressive defensive interventions Stecher has made - the guy's timing and hockey intelligence is superb.   Each pairing is looking well balanced - not bad this early in the season with so many new faces.

I've also been happy with Schaller - he's stepping up in the absence of Roussel and Motte - providing some good pk/role minutes - but I am looking forward to getting those guys back - the bottom six looks outstanding when you factor those two in.   Hard to see LE touching much ice again for this franchise.

Hughes seems to always have the puck, or when he’s on the ice we have the puck.  Is there a statistic that tracks that?  

I hope we extend Tanev.  He’s a great partner for Quinn. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes seems to always have the puck, or when he’s on the ice we have the puck.  Is there a statistic that tracks that?  

they don't really track true puck possession - or at least what they call 'puck possession' are actually shot differential metrics (puck possession may be tracked 'privately' by teams for their own purposes, but the 'analytics community' misleadingly refers to 'puck possession' as represented by 'corsi' or 'fenwick' - which are shot metrics.  If they tracked true possession, guys like Hughes - and the Sedins for that matter, would have some impressive numbers imo.   Would also love to see pass attempt/completion numbers - but whatever - they're just general indicators (more useful for teams you don't actually see too often).

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, stawns said:

Peteys biggest issue, imo, is fan/media expectations.  People are portraying him like he's Crosby or McD........he's not, he's probably going to be a ppg avg player over his career, which is fantastic, but he's not likely to be the player fans are building him up to be

Ha ha, you're right but I don't think that fan/media expectations are Petey's issue, those are the issues that fans and media have to deal with.  Petey is seeing attention like he hasn't had before and he's going to adjust to it.  In interviews he has said that he wants to get his shot off more quickly because he has less time.  He also wanted to get stronger.  So, he knows what he has to do.  Now it's a matter of execution.  Obviously it's not easy.  Boeser is going through the same adjustment period just like all the players listed (Crosby etc) have done so before them

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

had a great setup off the rush last night - backhand to the crease - just missed by - I think it was Leivo on the receiving end...

If it was a miss, there's a pretty good chance it was Leivo on the receiving end!  He missed a few last night

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

If it was a miss, there's a pretty good chance it was Leivo on the receiving end!  He missed a few last night

agreed.  he's the one guy that has been a bit out of sorts / somewhat annoying to watch at this point - but it's hard to get annoyed with a guy that keeps working, keeps his feet moving, keeps getting into the right areas, just squeezing the stick/with a few braincramps - that are hard to miss when he's playing with Horvat...(whose line has been dominant - so the frequency of the missed chances are a bit more underlined.    Still, realistically the team has a couple forwards out - Schaller imo is the 14th man - and Leivo may be in tough to hold his spot if/when Roussel and Motte return = nice problem to have / the guy is excellent, versatile depth imo.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

CF%.- Percent of shot attempts for vs against

xGF%- Measures the likely of shots going in

SCF%- Percent of scoring chances for vs against

CA/60- Amount of shot attempts against per 60 minutes of ice time

PP CF/60- Amount of power play shot attempts for per 60 minutes of ice time

I stole this from reddit :)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

agreed.  he's the one guy that has been a bit out of sorts / somewhat annoying to watch at this point - but it's hard to get annoyed with a guy that keeps working, keeps his feet moving, keeps getting into the right areas, just squeezing the stick/with a few braincramps - that are hard to miss when he's playing with Horvat...(whose line has been dominant - so the frequency of the missed chances are a bit more underlined.    Still, realistically the team has a couple forwards out - Schaller imo is the 14th man - and Leivo may be in tough to hold his spot if/when Roussel and Motte return = nice problem to have / the guy is excellent, versatile depth imo.

I don't like that Green gives him breaks while keeping Jake down, but that's not Leivo's fault.  He works hard, has good instincts and I like him, but just doesn't have the consistent skills to play the role he's been given.

5 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

B7C465B4-483F-4A7D-AC3F-5F2BD05116F4.gif

Haha...exactly what I was thinking reading that ridiculous thought.

JB:  Hi Vancouver Canuck fans. We drafted you a puck moving very skilled skater for our defense named Quin Hughes.

Fan: Derp....I gotz an idea....letz move him to forward.

JB:  (sound of a shotgun getting racked)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

We’ve won back to back and, IMO, outplayed Edmonton in one loss.. but everyone sure has a lot of material for the old suggestion box.  

The group looks pretty solid to start the year.  Pretty huge that Markstrom has continued his strong play.  On the back end, Hughes, Benn and Myers are light years ahead of what they replaced in the lineup.  Virtanen looks effective. Pearson and Miller have been great up front and I’m not worried about Ferland - he’ll recover.  Nor am I worried about Petey and Brock - they’ll figure it out.  Their talent level is at a level where the minutia some are nit picking shouldn’t have a huge bearing on their play.  

I can’t remember the last time so many things went right for this club.  We’re one breakout game from the top line or first power play unit to looking downright dangerous.  

Well said.

It was only last year when our D consisted of pouliot, hutton, and guddy in the top 6 with Biega playing a lot of games also.  What a tire fire!! Our D is light years ahead of where it was last year. 

I only wish we could somehow add Risto to the mix. Risto and tryamkin coming over at the end of the season would be awesome.....some major size and bite on the back end. Probably not likely for Risto though.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Well said.

It was only last year when our D consisted of pouliot, hutton, and guddy in the top 6 with Biega playing a lot of games also.  What a tire fire!! Our D is not light years ahead of where it was last year. 

I only wish we could somehow add Risto to the mix. Risto and tryamkin coming over at the end of the season would be awesome.....some major size and bite on the back end. Probably not likely for Risto though.

Would you trade Jake for Risto?  Kind of a risky move, and we would have to dump cap elsewhere but I think Risto is going to be amazing.  

• Cheers 1

Petterson 1st year:  .93 ppg

Kucherov 1st year:  .35 ppg  2nd year  .79 ppg   3rd year  .86 ppg   4th year  1.15 ppg

McDavid 1st year:  1.07 ppg

Draisaitl 1st year:  .24 ppg     2nd year  .71 ppg   3rd year  .94 ppg

Crosby 1st year:  1.26 ppg

Ovechkin 1st year:  1.31 ppg

Pettersson is an excellent player with a strong work ethic and crazy level of competitiveness.  A poster here compared him to the best players in the NHL and complained about Petey not getting huge points 4 games into the season?  What a donkey.

Look at how Pettersson compared to those best players. Petey had higher points per game in his first year in the NHL than Kucherov, and Draisaitl. In fact it took 4 years for Kucherov to have a higher ppg and Drai 3 years than Petey did in his first year.

Hell, McDavid's ppg in his first year was not much higher than Petey's!!!

I think Petey will be just fine. None of us have any real idea of what he will max out at.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

CF%.- Percent of shot attempts for vs against

xGF%- Measures the likely of shots going in

SCF%- Percent of scoring chances for vs against

CA/60- Amount of shot attempts against per 60 minutes of ice time

PP CF/60- Amount of power play shot attempts for per 60 minutes of ice time

I stole this from reddit :)

That is crazy considering he has played 9 NHL games. Good times ahead for us Canuck fans!!