The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Rangers | Oct. 20, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Pears said:

43 shots in the first game after we move Hughes up to the first powerplay unit :emot-parrot:

And 39 shots vs LA when Edler was on the first PP unit.  So a 10% increase in shots, but 4 fewer goals.  What exactly is your point?

(And as an aside, might have been a season high 43 for, but also a season high 40 against)

• Upvote 1

If there is anything particularly encouraging about the start of the season for the Canucks, it's that they're finding ways to win even while Pettersson and Boeser aren't quite at their A games.  It's not even like Pettersson and Boeser aren't producing.  If the whole team can get going at the same time and keep it going consistently, then they definitely do look like a team to be reckoned with.

1 hour ago, Jayinblack said:

I just don't understand putting Petey and Brock on the opposites sides, taking away both of their one-timers :blink:

They both just sit there waiting for the one-timer. 

If they'd actually move around and create space it would work amazing. Kucherov-Stamkos light. But they've yet to figure it out. 

14 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I'd say it seems so stationary because of Edler.  I want to see Hughes run it but with Petey/boes still on their weak sides waiting for one timers.  One other thing is boeser needs to set up lower in his circles, instead of taking his one timers from damn near the blue line where almost every goalie will make the save unless you shoot like ovie.  

I'd say it's a fault of all three. Pettersson sits in one spot way too often and Boeser is lazy on the PP. Hughes will help force them to move as he moves so much but they need to understand that the PP isn't rest time. When they do is when they take the next step in their progression as players. 

20 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I'd say it seems so stationary because of Edler.  I want to see Hughes run it but with Petey/boes still on their weak sides waiting for one timers.  One other thing is boeser needs to set up lower in his circles, instead of taking his one timers from damn near the blue line where almost every goalie will make the save unless you shoot like ovie.  

Pete needs that Ovie mentality of idc if the goalie is in position I’m going to blow this puck by you, because his shots elite but he decides to defer way to much

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

I'd say it's a fault of all three. Pettersson sits in one spot way too often and Boeser is lazy on the PP. Hughes will help force them to move as he moves so much but they need to understand that the PP isn't rest time. When they do is when they take the next step in their progression as players. 

I think we should stay with the 1-3-1 setup but try Boeser as the bumper because he isn’t a good 1 time option based off his positioning on the powerplay but I see his score most of his goals from the slot middle-ish of the ice. Kinda surprised he hasn’t been tried at the bumper spot

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

I don't get the hate for Leivo, he creates multiple chances each game he plays.  

its not really a hate for Leivo, but if someone comes out of the lineup right now, he would be the obvious choice.

the 4th line has chemistry and playing a perfect role that Green wants, 1st line set right now, so now we look at the middle 6

Sutter is still our top pk , defensive center, Virtanen's play is improving every game as he's a pain in #@s to play against, Pearson , all though hasnt produced lately is still a staple on bo's line.

Since they're 5-1 over the past 6 with a crap sched this weekend I wouldn't pull anyone just yet, and see how Detroit goes.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

I think put Boeser on the PP 2 because EP and Boes can't decide who is going to be 'the shooter'. Their constantly passing to each other.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think put Boeser on the PP 2 because EP and Boes can't decide who is going to be 'the shooter'. Their constantly passing to each other.

Utilize Miller Boeser and Horvat on one PP..

and Ferland Peterson and Bartschi on the other..

The pp is another reason to get rid of Eriksson ASAP.  Spot taken.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

They both just sit there waiting for the one-timer. 

If they'd actually move around and create space it would work amazing. Kucherov-Stamkos light. But they've yet to figure it out. 

I would prefer EP is actually go closer to the net, just to draw in the defenders and putting more bodies around the goalie (with Bo and another defenseman he's already battling with), then have BB waiting for a backdoor play or pretty for cross-ice for a one-timer.  The PK collapsing will also allow for more opportunity for the Canucks point shot to pepper the net.  

The PP coach should be reviewing more of Henrik and Daniel's 2006-2011 PP tapes.  They stopped relying on the cycle and starting to fiddle around a bit more.  

8 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I would prefer EP is actually go closer to the net, just to draw in the defenders and putting more bodies around the goalie (with Bo and another defenseman he's already battling with), then have BB waiting for a backdoor play or pretty for cross-ice for a one-timer.  The PK collapsing will also allow for more opportunity for the Canucks point shot to pepper the net.  

The PP coach should be reviewing more of Henrik and Daniel's 2006-2011 PP tapes.  They stopped relying on the cycle and starting to fiddle around a bit more.  

Ya I said something similar a game or 2 before. More bodies in front of the net would be nice. I wouldn't mind Myers in front with petey, bo, boeser as the middle 3 and then Quinn or Edler as point man.

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Having Quinn and Ep40 on the same unit makes incredible sense.  They both distribute so well and have fantastic skating.  

Quinn's shot really surprised me.  Seems to find a way to the net with regularity.  

I think he just thinks the game so much better than a guy like Edler. Sorry Eddie. It's not only how hard to shoot and sneaking a shot through a lane but also the timing. He'll shoot quickly between the top passing lane where as Eddie is always trying to shoot it through someone long after he has run out of time and space, I noticed a couple times that we were starting to look like those good teams where we were getting deflections off deflections on Quinn's shots to the net. That's partially because the other 4 players are now going to the net looking for pucks instead of just standing there hoping his teammate will pull off a miracle play.

17 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

Ya it sucks we keep missing the net even our stars(Brock & Petey) who specialize in scoring, baffles the mind but I'm happy with the win considering back to back afternoon games on the east coast

Yup overall I think we handled both games really well

• Like 1