The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Miller paying early dividends for Canucks with production, leadership

Rate this topic

Chickenspear

2 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

So much whinging was done about the pick when some of the most optimistic outcomes for a mid-range first are JT Miller.

And that player would take another five seasons to develop into a guy who might be as good as Miller is now.  Crazy move by Tbay to move out their best Playoff body.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We are making the playoffs, and Tbay will get our first at the 2020 draft.  (20 to 31) is where I believe the pick will fall.  TBay should have kept Miller. He's a playoff body and hard to play against.  They did change the dynamics of their fourth line, by going to bigger guys, who play a hard game, but they were foolish to move Miller.  They should have moved a Smurf like Johnson or Point.  LIkely though, they tried that and JB said NO WAY.  The Lightening's loss is our gain.  Stupid TBay.  Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good the simpsons GIF

• Haha 3

I wasn't super happy with the trade when it happened given JB's prior trades and the fact that the 1st was unprotected in 2020 (potentially). However, it looks great so far. I hope he has a long and successful career with the Canucks and that the pick we gave up doesn't end up being super high.

Never knew much on miller before ..i saw him on highlight reels scoring and playing tough solid games...what i like about the guy is he plays smart tough hockey..he has great attitude as a  hockey player..he is a hockey player not just a guy that plays in nhl for big bucks...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We are making the playoffs, and Tbay will get our first at the 2020 draft.  (20 to 31) is where I believe the pick will fall.  TBay should have kept Miller. He's a playoff body and hard to play against.  They did change the dynamics of their fourth line, by going to bigger guys, who play a hard game, but they were foolish to move Miller.  They should have moved a Smurf like Johnson or Point.  LIkely though, they tried that and JB said NO WAY.  The Lightening's loss is our gain.  Stupid TBay.  Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard TB management really wanted to keep him. They had cap issue so really had no choice but to trade him for something in return.  

Apparently, they really liked him there and it was very tough for them to split from him.  xD

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

I heard TB management really wanted to keep him. They had cap issue so really had no choice but to trade him for something in return.  

Apparently, they really liked him there and it was very tough for them to split from him.  xD

I'm glad TB did trade us Miller.  I'm surprised they didn't try and move one of those smaller forwards, and keep Miller though. Clearly they were way too small for playoff hockey.  

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Tankers were always begging for Benning to take on cap dumps... 

To be fair, they wanted to be getting high picks or whatever for taking on those said cap dumps rather than giving away 1sts to do so. The problem is they equated a Miller "cap dump" equivalent to say a Lucic cap dump.

• Cheers 1

How many trade deadline deals for 1st rounders have we seen over the years for rentals that didn't even pan out? Miller-Petey-Brock is dominant on possession and producing like a legit 1st line. And we've got Miller for a great term and contract. 

I guess people can pine over the 1st, we'll see who that is and what they become in 3 or 4 years which when this trade can be fully assessed, but for now its paying off nicely. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

When the trade was made nobody here knew that JB was going to be out buying his way out of trouble to supplement this trade with.

So any early bitching about the trade didn’t have the benefit of knowing the team was transitioning from the R-thingy to win within a weeks time. 

Miller plays a game I enjoy, but I wouldn’t have guessed, no matter how much I wanted it to happen, that the Canucks abandon their “rebuild” strategy and go after all sorts of quality UFAs on July 1.

Lots of players get off to a great start every year. Usually around 25 players rock a PPG average through the first 20-30 games until the grind catches up. At game 82, there’s typically, what, 5-10 PPG players left? 

Lets see where Miller ends up.

Either way, I’m glad JB traded for character and damn spine for the Canucks. 

They sure are more fun to watch of late. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3