The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Think Green is crippling Pettersson with a dump and chase style

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

I thought this was gonna be an over the top coach bashing post, but I actually agree with what you said. I have noticed that on the PP this year and it's definitely restricting Pettersson and Boeser in that regard. I think at the same time, I do like that we have this look on the PP as it gives us another style to switch up on. 

I think some could argue that our PP is clicking better this year, but that argument does not taking into account the fact that we have Hughes this year. I would like to see Pettersson and Boeser on their off-sides plus Hughes as well. That way we're a threat even if they're weaving and focus on getting garbage goals. If not, the opponent will end up giving either Petey or Boeser space to shoot.

• Upvote 1

EP40 has had his fair share of shots and eventually they'll find the back of the net, remain calm!

As long as he's getting shots off there's nothing to worry about. They'll come. Remain calm.

Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 3

I wonder if the play style change could be in response to how recent playoff series have gone?  

Seems like there's a lot more gritty, muck-it-out, garbage goal plays in the second season than free flowing pure offensive talent plays and scoring from perimeter shots as teams switch more to playing in the proverbial trenches (tougher defenses, better goalies), and unless the team's really that dynamic offensively (Sid, Malkin, Caps would probably be examples of that kind of team that found success - not saying Pete and Brock aren't but for argument's sake) there still has to be gritty play to produce, and maybe that's why Green is starting them in that early as checking only intensifies.  

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Petey has 11pts in 10 games.

Last time I checked, that's like really good. 

He's on pace for 90 some points under Greens "crippling system"

Awful.

Where are the goals?

And yeah, 11 points in 10 games looks ok... but how was he doing 10 games into the season last year.... (much higher)  and where did his points total end???

Green isn't crippling EP40, but I do think EP40 is doing what he's doing in spite of Green.  Green didn't know exactly what he had in Pettersson last year until he saw it first hand, and by then it was too late to get him to "fit in" to the system, he just worked with what Elias offered the team.  His point totals declined near the end only due to burnout.  However, Green has had a summer to "plan", and Elias has not benefited.  He will play the system he in in, because that is the kind of player he is, but you have to give talent like Elias some freedom to create, and in many ways, Green is doing a bit of a disservice to him by saddling him with Boeser in the hope of getting both of them going.  Right now, Boeser is an anchor on Elias in some ways (the back injury has slowed him down some).  Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen could be the way to go.  Jake deserves a shot at a top 6 role, he's paid his dues and done what's been asked of him, and his speed could be just what Elias needs to get some room, at least until Ferland gets up to speed.  Teams may not take Jake seriously as a scoring threat, but if he does nothing else but opens up the ice for Miller and Pettersson and also serves as a net and board presence, then the offensive output will increase, and we gain a stronger second line with Horvat playing at a speed more suited to Boeser's game right now.       

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

lol i don't think it's Green wanting them to play the dump and chase.. it's just this team in general have 0 players beside EP and Hughes that's capable of playing the style.. like who on this team that's currently on the big club that have the hockey IQ or the skills required to make those nice passing plays or setting up the 1 timers? none... literally everyone on this team is a shoot first guy... when EP and Hughes is not on the ice together really there's no one to get the puck to EP in the open area for a nice shooting chance.. hence they are just playing the way they are now lol.. that's just the reality of the team when there's 0 players beside EP and Hughes that have anything resembling play making skill lol

• Wat 1

15 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

11 points in 10 games.. PP is clicking now that they’ve changed it.. 6-3-1 to start the season... Some people are just never happy.. players just don’t score highlight reel goals every night. Also it’s on Petey to hit the net. He hasn’t been on point there.

Good players and teams find ways to score no matter how they go in. It’s unrealistic to think he can just dangle players every night. 

Green’s job is to win hockey games not worry about how Petey scores his goals. 

lol i woudln't call the PP clicking.. we are a combined 3 for 32 on the powerplay against teams not named Detroit and LA. while i'm not concerned about his points production.. it is concerning his goal scoring ability since the 2nd half of last season to now.. 

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol i woudln't call the PP clicking.. we are a combined 3 for 32 on the powerplay against teams not named Detroit and LA. while i'm not concerned about his points production.. it is concerning his goal scoring ability since the 2nd half of last season to now.. 

Since they switched boeser and Pete sides. Yes it has clicked. Pp goals in each of the last 3 games and hovering around 20% on the season now. 

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Since they switched boeser and Pete sides. Yes it has clicked. Pp goals in each of the last 3 games and hovering around 20% on the season now. 

lol it's only hovering at 20% coz we are 6 for 12 combined total against Detroit and LA.. sure it looked a little better the last 3 games? but 2 of the 3 games are against the bottom 10 teams in the league for PK lol so i wouldn't put too much stock into it... we are 3 for 32 on the powerplay this season if we don't include Detroit and LA.. and if we want to take it further.. we are 2 for 29 against teams ranked higher than 20th on the PK

3 hours ago, Strombone said:

That's because we're playing more of a team game instead of relying on just one player to do everything for us.

Which will pay its dividends down the road.

Last year for instance - Petey, Boeser, and Bo were over-exerted and then significantly wore down after the all-star break.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol it's only hovering at 20% coz we are 6 for 12 combined total against Detroit and LA.. sure it looked a little better the last 3 games? but 2 of the 3 games are against the bottom 10 teams in the league for PK lol so i wouldn't put too much stock into it... we are 3 for 32 on the powerplay this season if we don't include Detroit and LA.. and if we want to take it further.. we are 2 for 29 against teams ranked higher than 20th on the PK

its only been a few games since they switched sides, the whole point of the comments in the original post. Why are we arguing about whether or not the Pp clicked all season long?