The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Think Green is crippling Pettersson with a dump and chase style

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

its only been a few games since they switched sides, the whole point of the comments in the original post. Why are we arguing about whether or not the Pp clicked all season long?

coz the powerplay may have scored the last couple games but at time it still looks just as bad?

Why you need a deeep team. Opponents focus their top D lines/pairs on EP's line, our 2-4 lines should get the old trickle-down benefit.

Balanced scoring can take a team late into spring. Let's be patient & allow them to build up to it, establishing pairs/trios that are very familiar w/tendencies.

I liked Bo w/Jake & Ferland(at times) yesterday. 4th line has been sweet. When Roussel gets back, it'll be something worth watching.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

A few things, 

Petey has won the calder, drawing much more attention from the opposing teams best defensive players.

I have noticed the last few games that opposing players are legitimately doing dirty things to Petey with no repercussions.

Add in that he has experimented with a few new things he has added to his repertoire.

New edges... new stick i think? Or shooting style? 

Sophomore slump ? Naah not really for EP40.

I do think Petey is too hard on himself,  though it is a good thing.

I've also noticed Petey is not as happy after scoring...

I think he may be displeased that he didn't get the C but that's something he will need to get over if it is an issue, Petey is GREAT but he's no Bowie!

Horvat was drafted as a leader with character, he's been groomed for the C since he was drafted.

Petey will be fine, it's literally 10 games in and he is over a PPG and looking good. 

PETEY HAS NOT EVEN PLAYED 82 NHL GAMES!

Edit

I forgot to mention i want reaves on the roster asap, if anyone looks at petey even for a millisecond I'd like some brain damage to be the end result.

Edited by GhostsOf1994
Goonery

So it's Greens fault EP40 isn't scoring as much yet Green was also his coach last season? Elias is on pace to beat his last year point total and that is with the top defensive players matched up against him this time around.

Although I will say that Brock looked most dangerous in his rookie year when he was playing mostly with Horvat and EP40 did the best playing with Goldobin. I'd support that switch at some point in the season if we are looking to switch it up.

11 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I've also noticed Petey is not as happy after scoring...

I think he may be displeased that he didn't get the C but that's something he will need to get over if it is an issue, Petey is GREAT but he's no Bowie!

Horvat was drafted as a leader with character, he's been groomed for the C since he was drafted.

Petey will be fine, it's literally 10 games in and he is over a PPG and looking good. 

PETEY HAS NOT EVEN PLAYED 82 NHL GAMES!

Edit

I forgot to mention i want reaves on the roster asap, if anyone looks at petey even for a millisecond I'd like some brain damage to be the end result.

First off.. you are over analyzing and speculating to the max re the C.

Second... That is a stupid ass comment and shows your ignorance. Anyway, Reaves is the heavyweight champ but what is his average TOI in the playoffs? 7 minutes? If we could get him for a 3rd maybe but Vegas isn't giving him to a division rival.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, 6string said:

EP40 has had his fair share of shots and eventually they'll find the back of the net, remain calm!

As long as he's getting shots off there's nothing to worry about. They'll come. Remain calm.

Yep.  And last year his shooting percentage seemed too high to be sustainable, for him to score more the volume need to go up.   Ovi is a volume shooter and gets his goals based on this and the fact he has a lethal shot at that - haven’t checked but I’d bet he’s already shot the puck more then Gretzky did his entire career.    Both BB and EP need to shoot it more if they are going to see a 40 game season anytime soon.   As for the OP, nothing wrong with rebounds, and as far as last year went and EPs ten goals in ten games....it didn’t take long for other teams best defensive lines OR top lines to start matching up - and when they did he started to dry up.   After the all-star game it dried up even further - I for one, am happy to see that he’s getting on the scoreboard even though he doesn’t seem to have hit his stride yet.    We all know what he can do, it’s a matter of time before we see another offensive explosion and four-five point game.   Maybe even on Monday (because you made this thread the odds go up ha ha - I picked on Levio and his usage and the next game he shut me up with one of the nicest shoot-out goals I’ve ever seen, which BTW, EP scored another beauty last game), not too worried about it.   Miller seems to have given that line a kick in the ass too, and he is a dump and chase player - the odds of him getting the puck back are very good, and he’s a good passer too, it’s up to EP and BB to find the shooting lanes when they do this - same with the PP.  

It’s early yet, I’m sure at some point things will start to click, but I’m not excepting 100 points from EP anytime soon (maybe in his prime), or a 50 goal season from BB either.   If they finish the season with 70-80 points each id consider it a success. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

So it's Greens fault EP40 isn't scoring as much yet Green was also his coach last season? Elias is on pace to beat his last year point total and that is with the top defensive players matched up against him this time around.

Although I will say that Brock looked most dangerous in his rookie year when he was playing mostly with Horvat and EP40 did the best playing with Goldobin. I'd support that switch at some point in the season if we are looking to switch it up.

Bo’s line also played their best with LE last year....Goldobin didn’t carry the line, early EP was on fire, once he saw the best players he fell to earth and Goldobin went from a PPG player to .4ish by the time he was turfed - Green kept him on the line for as long as he could - should of had the hook a lot earlier IMO, he’s where he should be (for now), if things get that desperate it will either be from injuries or the fact our season has been completely derailed.  Miller is a much better option.

He is a second year player who has 11 points in 10 games. 

That is a 90 point pace for a 20 year old.  Lets not mention that he is developing his physical and defensive games to try and become an elite all situation player.

This thread is a lot of hand wringing about a very young, very good player.

As far as the dump and chase, sometimes that is just the better play even when you are Elias.  Taking the puck one on two or into a wall of players at the blue line is more likely to end up with the puck going the other way in an odd man situation.  Sometimes you just need to complete a change and sometimes it is best to wear down the D especially in the playoffs.  

It is clear the players have the green light to carry the puck in when the situation is right.  Part of the problem though is having two pure checking lines is that they do dump and chase more because of the lack of puck skills. 

The more I watch Sutter handling and passing the puck though I think dump and chase is the best thing for him.  Dogged pursuit of the puck and immediately giving it back is his game.  That is why I think he is better as a winger, he needs to be shooting and not handling the pass or trying to make a play.

• Like 1

A note on the PP. It seems to me both petterson and boeser feed 80% of there passes back to Edler or Quinn depending on whos out at the time. Eddy always takes the shot, if there's a lane or not but Quinn will pass off  instead. Far more creativity with quinn on the 1pp. I believe with time this will benefit brock and Ep40 but they just got to put the time in. Pretty simple , keep taking  those shots from the blueline with bo or miller in front for garabage goals (all count and few people can do it effectively) making every team have to respect that and not load up to defend against what brock and petey have in spades . Magic. By the way, the shots petterson and boeser are taking and not scoring on are crossbars or just missing top corners. Patience then enjoy. Goodtimes to be a Nucks fan

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol i don't think it's Green wanting them to play the dump and chase.. it's just this team in general have 0 players beside EP and Hughes that's capable of playing the style.. like who on this team that's currently on the big club that have the hockey IQ or the skills required to make those nice passing plays or setting up the 1 timers? none... literally everyone on this team is a shoot first guy... when EP and Hughes is not on the ice together really there's no one to get the puck to EP in the open area for a nice shooting chance.. hence they are just playing the way they are now lol.. that's just the reality of the team when there's 0 players beside EP and Hughes that have anything resembling play making skill lol

It's by design.  Benning this summer:  "The way (coach) Travis (Green) wants to play, he wants to play fast and he wants to get pucks behind the other team’s defencemen and get in on the forecheck, recover pucks and get to the net."

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol it's only hovering at 20% coz we are 6 for 12 combined total against Detroit and LA.. sure it looked a little better the last 3 games? but 2 of the 3 games are against the bottom 10 teams in the league for PK lol so i wouldn't put too much stock into it... we are 3 for 32 on the powerplay this season if we don't include Detroit and LA.. and if we want to take it further.. we are 2 for 29 against teams ranked higher than 20th on the PK

Why stop there? Why not come up with some other pretext to ignore those last 2 goals so you can describe the power play as 0 for 27? You are not trying hard enough. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

That's how it works. Player is playing poorly (not saying EP is playing poorly), it's the coach's fault. Player is playing well, good job player. Not once has anyone said anything good about the coaching for the PK that had a really hot start, but I'm sure once the PK let's in a few, the PK coach will be run down or blame Schaller.

8 hours ago, luckylager said:

Petey has 11pts in 10 games.

Last time I checked, that's like really good. 

He's on pace for 90 some points under Greens "crippling system"

Awful.

And just think of how many more goals he could have if he hit the net more often

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Haha!  It doesn't sound like it's Green that's responsible for Pettersson's new approach, it's his new linemate's influence: https://www.nhl.com/news/jt-miller-providing-leadership-for-vancouver-canucks/c-310401816

For those who don't want to bother with the read, it's Miller who has convinced both Petey and Boeser to just dump it in, rather than always trying to carry it.  

You can't always carry the puck in all the time. The dump and chase is Miller's bread and butter much like Burrows for the Sedins. This is why he was effective for TB's PP as well. Once teams get acclimated to the line dumping and chasing, it'll open up the room for EP and BB to carry the puck creating more threats as right now teams can easily focus on these guys carrying the puck in if they know that's what they're going to do majority of the time.

It doesn't surprise me that this is the system that Green does want to play though and probably talked to Benning what type of team he would like. Benning goes out and gets Miller and Ferland who are great for this type of role. Pearson is decent too and Leivo beat out Baertschi.

The dump and chase is talked down it seems, but when done effectively (with the right personnel), it's a good way to break down the defensive structure where teams are now trying to set up a wall to prevent the puck being carried in. This is also why the drop pass is used. People need to understand that despite plays maybe not working all the time, it's a chess match so when we want to make our power moves, it'll catch them off guard. You can't make the "sexy" play all the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, luckylager said:

Petey has 11pts in 10 games.

Last time I checked, that's like really good. 

He's on pace for 90 some points under Greens "crippling system"

Awful.

not to mention that the Miller-Petey-Boeser line has dominated possession time at ~60% - and thats with ~44% o-zone starts.  

Petey is getting his chances, he's just been missing the net. HIs timing is a little off, I think possibly due to some strength training in the offseason. He's getting it back. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Where are the goals?

And yeah, 11 points in 10 games looks ok... but how was he doing 10 games into the season last year.... (much higher)  and where did his points total end???

Too many variables there to compare. First year, unknown quantity, players didn’t know what to expect thus the hot start. 2. After the first 20 games coverage increased, Pete’s production starts to lessen, by season end pace had slowed considerably, which leads to 3. Petey not use to a 82 game schedule, he just got tired as the year wore on.