The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Adam Lowry suspended 2 games

Rate this topic

I understand the suspension, but the guy getting hit has to be responsible too.  Too many players are coached to shield the puck like it's a soccer ball. Lowery is a big guy, and Kylington is tiny.  The result is going to be an injured tiny guy.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I understand the suspension, but the guy getting hit has to be responsible too.  Too many players are coached to shield the puck like it's a soccer ball. Lowery is a big guy, and Kylington is tiny.  The result is going to be an injured tiny guy.  

Disagree, Kylington had his back to Lowry the whole time and there was 5 seconds left in the period when Kylington had the puck and 2 seconds when he was hit. 100% unnecessary and 100% on Lowry. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Disagree, Kylington had his back to Lowry the whole time and there was 5 seconds left in the period when Kylington had the puck and 2 seconds when he was hit. 100% unnecessary and 100% on Lowry. 

Kylington had the puck, took a peak and saw Lowery coming.  He then tried to protect the puck with his body.  He took a big hit in the back, because he turned to face the boards.  He made a courageous play, but he is small, so he got killed. He should have taken the hit shoulder to shoulder.  He will learn from his mistake.   

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kylington had the puck, took a peak and saw Lowery coming.  He then tried to protect the puck with his body.  He took a big hit in the back, because he turned to face the boards.  He made a courageous play, but he is small, so he got killed. He should have taken the hit shoulder to shoulder.  He will learn from his mistake.   

No, his numbers were facing him the whole time he turned to dump the puck around the boards. Was a stupid play by Lowry period. 

This wasn't as bad as some hits I have seen not get suspended, I think if he wasn't a repeat offender this wouldn't have been a suspension. It was an unnecessary and dumb hit but I've seen much worse, so it's a little confusing when some get suspended and some don't.  

• Upvote 2

Didn't Tierney crosscheck Boeser right at the numbers in preseason? where was the suspension? 

Hanafin elbowed Helm in the face but only Helm got fined for a retaliation slash that Lindholm embellished.

the nhl random wheel of justice strikes again. 

Edited by Trebreh
  • Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No, his numbers were facing him the whole time he turned to dump the puck around the boards. Was a stupid play by Lowry period. 

No dangerous play by Kylington to turn his back to the forecheck.  It's a tough league.  Take the hit shoulder to shoulder.  Don't turn your back when you know there is a forecheck coming hard like that.  Kylington actually looked up (he took a peek) and saw the forecheck.  He then turned.  I agree it's a bad play by the forechecker too, but it that guy doesn't make that hit his coach is on him.  Guys have to stop turning their backs when a hit is coming from distance.  The force will crush them

33 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

This wasn't as bad as some hits I have seen not get suspended, I think if he wasn't a repeat offender this wouldn't have been a suspension. It was an unnecessary and dumb hit but I've seen much worse, so it's a little confusing when some get suspended and some don't.  

I partly agree.  I think the coach is on Lowery if he doesn't finish that check.  He's a big guy, and he needs to play that way to help his team.  That's the nature of the league, especially now.  The top skilled guys eat up a lot of the cap.  That leaves the lesser tiered guys fighting for jobs.  They have to be physical, or the coaches get on them in video review.  The coach would have pointed out (IMO) in the video room that Lowrey didn't finish his check there.  Kylington can't turn his back too.  

30 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Didn't Tierney crosscheck Boeser right at the numbers in preseason? where was the suspension? 

Hanafin elbowed Helm in the face but only Helm got fined for a retaliation slash that Lindholm embellished.

the nhl random wheel of justice strikes again. 

Brock's hit was different.  It was a PP, and not a forecheck.  No way was Brock expecting a player to finish him in that circumstance.  And yes, that guy should have been suspended.  His actions were way worse, because the circumstances didn't call for him to finish his check.  Lowery is expected to finish his check in the Kylington play.  The league has this all backwards, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I partly agree.  I think the coach is on Lowery if he doesn't finish that check.  He's a big guy, and he needs to play that way to help his team.  That's the nature of the league, especially now.  The top skilled guys eat up a lot of the cap.  That leaves the lesser tiered guys fighting for jobs.  They have to be physical, or the coaches get on them in video review.  The coach would have pointed out (IMO) in the video room that Lowrey didn't finish his check there.  Kylington can't turn his back too.  

if there wasn't 2 seconds left in the period I would agree with you completely but a hit like this doesn't need to be made. I agree Kylington and other players have to be more aware and not putting them in situations like this but even though checking is part of the game but doesn't mean you need to be checking people that are in dangerous position especially when doing so isn't going to help the play. The play is over with 2 seconds left. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

if there wasn't 2 seconds left in the period I would agree with you completely but a hit like this doesn't need to be made. I agree Kylington and other players have to be more aware and not putting them in situations like this but even though checking is part of the game but doesn't mean you need to be checking people that are in dangerous position especially when doing so isn't going to help the play. The play is over with 2 seconds left. 

I really don't think the Coach (and Maurice is an old school guy) will care the time on the clock.  He's expect Lowery to finish Kylington there.  It's a suspension now, but I can understand why Lowery and other players of his ilk finish checks like that.  Kylington was courageous taking the hit like he did, but he needed to have his shoulder up against the glass, not his face.  He tried to avoid the hit, and it cost him.  If you watch the video closely, you can see Kylington taking a peek and seeing Lowery.  It's a split second after that peek he turns, and gets crush popped.  If he takes the hit shoulder to shoulder, and lets the glass take the force, he's okay.