The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MARKSTROM: GLORY GUY or $$$ GUY

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah but even Sbisa was amazing the games he played for them. I don’t even know where he is now. It’s was masterful  job by their GM. They were coached extremely well and everyone bought in. It was quite amazing. Everything that needed to happen, happened for that team

I agree with that! 

But.... its setup for expansion teams to be above average... this way they win more than lose and grow a fanbase.. ... this is what the nhl wants

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So...………..

Miller    Pettersson       Boeser

Horvat             Virtanen

Gaudette         ???????

Edler/Myers/???????...…………...Like I say, Hughes is exempt

Demko

Maybe Miller? Or the Ferkster if he ever gets his groove back? And they might choose to protect Tanev or Stetcher I guess

1 minute ago, Snapshot85 said:

I'm just a naturally LOUD TALKER.

Leave it at that. 

k

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So...………..

Gaudette         ???????

Edler/Myers/???????...…………...Like I say, Hughes is exempt

Demko

Plus another stud free agent signing next year :emot-parrot:

haha we will see

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Nah, he's not...but the other Thread I started (before this one started, I might add) I am proposing making a trade of some kind

I was just joking now...

Gotcha, I’ve been eyeing up trading for him myself. In my hockey pool :ph34r:

• Cheers 1

First of all, that's bull$&!#. Hockey isn't just a sport, it's a business. Every player has to look out for his interests, that's just part of how things are. Wanting to make what you can during a sports career is nothing to be ashamed of. Will Marky get greedy? I don't think so. Does him wanting to be compensated fairly mean he doesn't want to win hockey's biggest prize? Of course not. 

Best case scenario is we pay Marky something fair but don't give him a NMC so we don't have to protect him come the expansion draft. After that you continue to let things play out. 

It's early on in the season, but while I love Marky I'd protect Demko at this point. He's looking like he could be a #1 at this level and he's got youth on his side. Marky's gonna 30 in a few months. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

First of all, that's bull$&!#. Hockey isn't just a sport, it's a business. Every player has to look out for his interests, that's just part of how things are. Wanting to make what you can during a sports career is nothing to be ashamed of. Will Marky get greedy? I don't think so. Does him wanting to be compensated fairly mean he doesn't want to win hockey's biggest prize? Of course not. 

Best case scenario is we pay Marky something fair but don't give him a NMC so we don't have to protect him come the expansion draft. After that you continue to let things play out. 

It's early on in the season, but while I love Marky I'd protect Demko at this point. He's looking like he could be a #1 at this level and he's got youth on his side. Marky's gonna 30 in a few months. 

First of all if you read my OP I said he earned it

Second no one said hes greedy.

Third. Yes its a buisness.... but alot of these guys care far more about winning than money.... you dont become pro by being money driven its love of the game and winning . 

In every sport there have been numerous times players gave sweetheart deals to play for the team they want and help make them successful.... they want to win!

So what exactly is BULL ?

• Upvote 1

I suspect that Markstrom will not be re-signed by the Canucks, at least not prior to the Seattle draft. This also assumes that the Canucks continue their current high lvl of play which suggests that they could make some noise in the playoffs, and therefore he is not traded prior to the TDL. This permits the Canucks to protect Demko and still (possibly) re-sign Markstrom in the summer.

If Markstrom doesn't hear the right amount of dollars being discussed prior to next season then he walks as a UFA.

On the other hand, perhaps Markstrom already has his future plans decided, and maybe he already has no plans to re-sign with Vancouver.

regards,  G.

Fans get the luxury of looking at 'their' team and assuming that they know the best way to draft, develop or sign players...who to bench; and, who should be gotten rid of, like other teams are lining up to take on castaway-players to help a rival.

Players must (literally) look no further than just the next game, if not just next shift.

20 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Fans get the luxury of looking at 'their' team and assuming that they know the best way to draft, develop or sign players...who to bench; and, who should be gotten rid of, like other teams are lining up to take on castaway-players to help a rival.

Players must (literally) look no further than just the next game, if not just next shift.

I dont believe any of us truly believe we are capable of being a NHL GM. That's Bennings job... and hes good at it. Alot of us have opinions and like to play armchair gm...but that's all it is for fun. 

I think most if not all of the professional athletes are very intelligent guys... capable of looking ahead at what they want not just the next shift. 

I think alot of us are just proud to be canuck fans and want to try to be a part of it. There's alot of respect in my opinion for what the players and staff do day in and day out.

So chill

This fan's pov is one of maximizing assets. Make a fair 4 or 5 yr offer to JM around Christmas(no frozen mukluk to the arse, eh?) Explain if we don't win the whole shebang in 20 or '21, might have to expose him to the ED. But give him perhaps a 15-20 team NTC.

If he won't go for a reasonable deal, trade a 'tender at TDL or Draft. Have this dealt with by early next summer, at latest.

Here are a few scenarios I see playing out:

1 year 6-7 million - Markstrom gets a nice payout to stick around for one more year. Doesn't have to get picked up by an expansion team and has the option to re-sign. Also gives the team one more year to evaluate Demko and whether he is ready to make the jump to starter.

3 years 5-6 million - In this scenario Markstrom is guaranteed a good solid contract but he gets exposed in the expansion draft. If Demko does emerge as a starter than we might be stuck with two expensive goalies on the books when Demko re-signs as an RFA. In that scenario, if he isn't picked up in the expansion draft then we can likely trade him for a decent return. 

5 years 4-5 million - This contract would basically run until the end of his career. I think it makes him a little less attractive to get picked up by Seattle but the chances are still there. If he is closer to 4 million the price is a bit steep for a backup for the final couple of years but up front it saves us some cap space. I can imagine it being structured 6 - 6 - 4 - 4 - 2 at 4.4 cap hit assuming his first two years he is a starter, next two he is a 1B and the final year he is a backup as Thatcher will be 28 by then and in his prime. 

Markstrom to Edmonton or Calgary:

Edmonton and Calgary both....:

1) have good teams will likely be competing for a playoff spot.  
2) have the potential to win more than one playoff round.    
3) are a little weak in net.

If not this year, I wonder if it would be in the interests of both teams to swing a deal that would involve the following:

To Edmonton or Calgary:

1) Markstrom or Demko

2) another asset

To Vancouver

1) One of their goalies that would then come here and back-up the guy we keep (Markstrom or Demko)

2) A defenseman that wouldn’t look at all out of place if he needed to play on the top 4 for an extended period of time.

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So...………..

Gaudette         ???????

OJ/Myers/???????...…………...Like I say, Hughes is exempt

Demko

OJ - ok fixed it for you.  We won’t be using a spot for Edler because hes a UFA.  Doubtful they would use their pick on him when he doesn’t have to sign with him a few weeks later - Edler and any UFA are (if picked) are free to go wherever they want to in July - don’t think Vegas used any of theirs because of this risk too.   JB just has to hold off contract negotiations with Edler until after the ED is over and it’s like an extra spot for us.   

There are fair odds because of this and the plethora of other guys coming off the books then that he goes for the other option - one goalie and eight skaters any position...and for the life of god I was sure that included goalies - but went to check and can’t find any information confirming or denying it. 

Edited by IBatch

6 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I suspect that Markstrom will not be re-signed by the Canucks, at least not prior to the Seattle draft. This also assumes that the Canucks continue their current high lvl of play which suggests that they could make some noise in the playoffs, and therefore he is not traded prior to the TDL. This permits the Canucks to protect Demko and still (possibly) re-sign Markstrom in the summer.

If Markstrom doesn't hear the right amount of dollars being discussed prior to next season then he walks as a UFA.

On the other hand, perhaps Markstrom already has his future plans decided, and maybe he already has no plans to re-sign with Vancouver.

regards,  G.

Well he’s a free agent this summer and the ED is June the following one.   So yeah we should be either trading him as a rental this year and trying to get something back - or re-signing him to a fair deal (which is almost always what Jim gives out).   A fair deal right now looks around 4 years x 5.  Expensive for a back-up which he could easily become during that time if he stays...a lot could still happen the next year and a half - whether he’s left exposed like a sacrificial lamb - and whether he’s even taken if left exposed is still too hard to tell.   Maybe one of or AHL guys turns it on, gets a shot in the NHL and sticks and needs protection too - Lind, OJ, Brisebois, Big Mac etc.   OJ for sure unless he’s out again (injures) and the team moves on from him.  Demko is our future, can’t see us protecting one and that one being JM.

Edited by IBatch