The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Nov. 08, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

The problem is Horvat has no one to play with. Green should put Boeser back with Horvat and make the Triple B line again. 

and break up the best line that we have? they combine  for 56 points so far, I am afraid that Horvat needs to learn to play with  his wingers. the best he has done this season was with Jake and Ferland.

2 hours ago, Darius said:

Bo needs a second line winger.  He’s getting saddled with face offs and a revolving door of wingers that belong on a third line. 

leivo and Pearson are great on the boards but that’s about it right now. 

Ferland and roussel would be Upgrades on some of these guys. 

I too would like to try Roussel with Bo. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Stelar said:

Love how everyone gets a boner after 10 games thinking we are in the playoffs. The season is long and the first 10-15 are no indication. 

forwards: Secondary scoring has dried up. If that isn’t fixed ASAP then this will be another long year. Leivo and Pearson are contributing F all right now. Horvat also needs to pick it up  

Defence:  not a good night. Edler looked like Bad Edler. Myers was average. Tanev was his usual self. 

I don't always get a boner after 10 games in, but when I do it's usually after a highlight reel goal by Pettersson, or pass by Hughes, or seeing Horvat getting a hat trick! 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bree2 said:

and break up the best line that we have? they combine  for 56 points so far, I am afraid that Horvat needs to learn to play with  his wingers. the best he has done this season was with Jake and Ferland.

The pair that makes the line work is Petterson and Miller. Petterson and Boeser has limited chemistry. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Horvat likes to play with Baertschi. Except they demoted him for no good reason even though he has been a consistent >0.5ppg player. 

Yeah, Horvat also likes to play with Boeser. I actually think Boeser and Horvat has better chemistry than Petterson and Boeser. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

25 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I know it is unpopular to say, but once again, the Canucks unimaginative offense was very easy for Winnipeg to counter.

Opponents know the puck will be dumped in and there will be a forecheck... so they set themselves up to retrieve the puck and get it out.

Good teams enter the zone in possession and they get a shot every time they enter.  Too often the Canucks 'Dump and Chase' style is one and done and nobody gets a shot.

Watch the way the Jets enter the zone... almost no dump and chase, they carry it in almost every time.  And they get their chances.

But this is not the same Winnipeg team which has beat the Canucks so frequently in the past... they have real weaknesses on the D.

Yeah, they have a potent offense, but if you use speed and passing, change of position, you have a lot of opportunity to take advantage of the Jet's weak Defense.  Unfortunately there was very few challenges for them tonight.

Canuck Powerplay was also lacking again tonight... it is not working as it should considering the personnel who are available with multiple player's able to shoot the puck with real authority.

I agree with you 100% about the chip and chase strategy. You'll notice teams like the Jets that consistently carry the puck in to the ozone play a style where the forwards rush together up the ice providing puck support/passing options. The Canucks puck carrier seems to nearly always be 1 on 4 when they breach the blue line. The rest of the team is changing or nowhere to be found. So they either dump it in or turn it over.

Their other method is the stretch pass because the forwards are playing way too high. The stretch pass either gets picked off, is inaccurate and gets turned over or results in an icing, or is too hard to handle for the receiver and gets turned over. 

The most frustrating thing about Green is that he sees no problems with the style of play. Every post game interview (including tonight) he says they played well and he was satisfied with the game. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jake had a good game again. Finally has some confidence. I hope Green leaves Jake with Bo for a while and lets them develop some chemistry. Though I think Jake plays his best hockey with Sutter for some reason. Probably feels less pressure and can just play his game. 

When Roussel is back would like to see 

Roussel-Horvat-Virtanen

Not sure why he was playing on the 4th line at the end of the game. He was the only forward consistently creating chances and turnovers. He needs more ice time and should be playing 3 on 3. Not sure what Green is thinking..a lot of the time..

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

I agree with you 100% about the chip and chase strategy. You'll notice teams like the Jets that consistently carry the puck in to the ozone play a style where the forwards rush together up the ice providing puck support/passing options. The Canucks puck carrier seems to nearly always be 1 on 4 when they breach the blue line. The rest of the team is changing or nowhere to be found. So they either dump it in or turn it over.

Their other method is the stretch pass because the forwards are playing way too high. The stretch pass either gets picked off, is inaccurate and gets turned over or results in an icing, or is too hard to handle for the receiver and gets turned over. 

The most frustrating thing about Green is that he sees no problems with the style of play. Every post game interview (including tonight) he says they played well and he was satisfied with the game. 

Perhaps Green is hiding some plays to be revealed in the playoffs (loooong time coming); I hope for his sake cause the deployment and plays seems very predictable.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

What's the ETA on Roussel at this point? We could really use him as a spark plug during games like this one. 

Missing Ferland too, it's a shame he's run into health problems repeatedly this early into the season and been unable to get into a rhythm. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Jake had a good game again. Finally has some confidence. I hope Green leaves Jake with Bo for a while and lets them develop some chemistry. Though I think Jake plays his best hockey with Sutter for some reason. Probably feels less pressure and can just play his game. 

When Roussel is back would like to see 

Roussel-Horvat-Virtanen

Not sure why he was playing on the 4th line at the end of the game. He was the only forward consistently creating chances and turnovers. He needs more ice time and should be playing 3 on 3. Not sure what Green is thinking..a lot of the time..

Jake and bo and someone for sure, last year the three you suggest were a great line in December I hope Green has plan I cannot stand him taking Jake off in the third period all the time