The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quarter-season marker and the upcoming 4 game homestand - ALL IS NOT LOST

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

BIG Homestand  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, so the Canucks have "come back down to Earth". Yet, all is not lost.

After a tough stretch with a couple injuries and lots of traveling, they've won 1 out of the last 5 games. However, a couple OTL points have helped a lot.

So here's the situation going into the next 4 game homestand against NJ, Nashville, Dallas and Colorado.

We are sitting at 9-5-3 for 21 points. Smack in the middle of the Western conference pack. Four points separate 3rd and 10th place.

This big 4 game homestand happens to coincide with the quarter-mark of the regular season. (20-21 games) And there is no better time than now for the Canucks to dig deep and show everyone what they are made of - especially considering that the second quarter of the season happens to start with a big 6 game road trek to close out November.

The goal is to get 4 big wins. This would give them another 8 points for a record of 13-5-3, for 29 points - on pace to shatter 100 points and guarantee a playoff spot.

On the other hand, if they lost all four, they'd be sitting at 9-9-3, for 21 points and on pace for.. well.. the golf course.

The importance of the next four games cannot be stressed enough, and the team has to be licking their chops coming back to their home barn to play some energized games in front of their own crowd. They HAVE to pull it together and show some dominance, and close out the first quarter of the season. It's a reasonable, tangible goal.

So there it is then. 4 wins, and we have a very tasty record of 13-5-3. Or, we could finish as low as 9-9-3 - the dreaded .500 zone. Or somewhere in between.

These four games are quite honestly all huge and I'd go so far as to say they will have a must-win atmosphere. There are a couple pretty tough opponents in the Preds and Avs, but keep in mind they have a nearly identical record to ours at the moment. I truly believe that the Canucks can hang with any team in the league.

Do you guys think they have what it takes to maximize the damage and really rack up some serious first quarter points?

Do you think a team like that believes in themselves enough to get it done?

I, for one, will say that they've earned my confidence!

horvat-canucks.png

• Cheers 1

There's a lot of guys who aren't scoring right now. The loss of Roussel, and Ferland means the team isn't as physical as it could be. Ferland even when not scoring was creating space, and taking the opposition off it's game. 

Jake is quietly improving, and now has 5 goals on the season. JT Miller and some of the vets are really helping Jake find his stride. 

Once everyone breaks out the team will start winning. It doesn't help that the team is down to 5 defencemen during a lot of the games. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I believe they'll get 9 points over the next four games. It'll be tough and no NHL team has ever done it before but I believe that the combined power of Bo, Boes, Petey, Miller, Quinn, and Markstrom (The 6 Infinity Stones) can bend reality enough to make it happen.

Is that you lifting your finger there, Doctor Strange?  

I think we can hang with any team, outshoot any team, we're among the top teams so far this season, but we have trouble turning up our game when other teams turn theirs up.

It's a good thing that teams like the Hawks and Jets know they have to turn their games up to beat us. The Devils will have to do the same. If anything, I think we need to realize that all teams are bringing it when they play us and we're not going to have it easy. Weaker teams aren't going to be that weak. There's definitely a mental component to that. 

I'm not so concerned about the Nashvilles or Colorado's, our A-game will be there. It's the other teams that need to play over their heads that seem to catch us off guard. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

0-4.  0-65 the rest of the way.  They blew it against Winnipeg and now it's all over.  Petterson finishes with 30 points.  I can't believe you guys thought this team was going to be any good after 15 games.  Sell assets now while there's still time and go for the #1 pick overall.

11 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I believe they'll get 9 points over the next four games. It'll be tough and no NHL team has ever done it before but I believe that the combined power of Bo, Boes, Petey, Miller, Quinn, and Markstrom (The 6 Infinity Stones) can bend reality enough to make it happen.

I'm glad these two posts ended up next to each other :D

• Upvote 2

On 11/9/2019 at 2:11 AM, Where's Wellwood said:

Ever think of a super-duper career speech writing for Trump ?

On 11/9/2019 at 2:40 AM, Shirotashi said:

We need our secondary scoring. Too many guys sitting and coasting.

Nah, we need changes to the system we play. Other teams have figured us out and now only our most skilled guys are managing to find the back of the net. The rest are getting shutout by sound defense. It's pretty easy to defend against a team that plays exactly the same every game, every shift. The lack of secondary scoring is on coaching, not coasting.

1 hour ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Nah, we need changes to the system we play. Other teams have figured us out and now only our most skilled guys are managing to find the back of the net. The rest are getting shutout by sound defense. It's pretty easy to defend against a team that plays exactly the same every game, every shift. The lack of secondary scoring is on coaching, not coasting.

Bro do you watch the games? Literally the only people scoring are the Lotto line and Hughes.