The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

4 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Alf have you been drinking alittle early today? You sound like Trumps circle of cronies  .

(not my words, hence the quote):

Reporter: “Mr. President, did you hear that Gov. Bevin lost?”

Donald Trump: “Who?”

Reporter: “How does it feel to see yet another politician you endorsed lose?”

DT: “Never heard of him.”

Reporter: “You were in Kentucky campaigning for him yesterday.”

DT: “Never been there.”

:lol:

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Its the biggest stretch I have seen on this subject. Not surprised though.

It's absolutely the biggest reach and can be shredded with a couple very basic arguments, not to mention the FACT that Cherry said "you people that come here"

Surely he meant all of us city folk who came here from the small towns right? :bigblush:

• Upvote 1

IMO, it's bad move by Rogers.  On a Remembrance Day where he stood up for the veterans' behalf.  I feel that Rogers is too defensive with the political correctness and I truly hated political correctness era.  Anything that offends them where in 50's had a thick skin that could take anything that people tells them that was offensive.  You will see many people nowadays will not speak up for the fear of losing his employments.  If Rogers doesn't like Cherry, they could simply not renew the contract.   I think that Cherry wins here from now on.  Rogers' rating will only go downhill from now.  He could easily find other endeavors and will not miss any beat for as long as he desires to do it so and as long as fans will come and hear his opinions on anything related to hockey.  Even Cherry recognize the game of hockey is changing and still do it right in most case.  I am not even a fan of Cherry but I defend his right to express his opinions even if we do not agree with him.  

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

Its the biggest stretch I have seen on this subject. Not surprised though.

Sure attack those who have a different opinion.  That’s exactly what Cherry was talking about.  We live in big cities and have easy lives.  We have forgotten who made our lives so easy.  Again, why is bullying allowed here?  Your comment, about “being not surprised” is clearly an attempt to demean someone who sees things differently than yourself.  We are hypocrites.  How many of us go and keep a soldier’s grave tidy, or put flowers?  It’s more than just wearing  a poppy. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

I thought in Canada citizens had freedom. That includes freedom to not wear a poppy no?

Exactly.

No one has to wear a poppy, we're all free to do so.

So why does anyone buy one? To respect the veterans on remembrance day.

He had a point.

Guaranteed that if you asked Don Cherry, "should all citizens wear poppies"? He would say yes.

He just happened to call out immigrants.

Once again, this is overblown.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tystick said:

True.

Now why was it a bad thing to call out immigrants for not wearing a poppy?

It's not. But it's a bad thing to single out the most vulnerable in a country. Immigrants are among those. 

We see it in the U.S. all the time, it incites violence from anti-immigration groups and - usually - white supremacy groups towards these vulnerable minorities. It's just important to be careful with what is said and how it is said on national TV. 

Not that he should necessarily have been fired for this, that's cancel culture at its worst.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

(not my words, hence the quote):

Reporter: “Mr. President, did you hear that Gov. Bevin lost?”

Donald Trump: “Who?”

Reporter: “How does it feel to see yet another politician you endorsed lose?”

DT: “Never heard of him.”

Reporter: “You were in Kentucky campaigning for him yesterday.”

DT: “Never been there.”

:lol:

My point exactly

8 minutes ago, Stelar said:

I thought in Canada citizens had freedom. That includes freedom to not wear a poppy no?

I can’t agree with this.  It’s about respect.  It’s not infringing on your freedom to wear a poppy to honour those who have given their lives for freedom.

when you travel to other countries there are dress codes, body language codes, words, etc that should be respected.  Saying you are free to disrespect these real things is ignorant.

Edited by riffraff
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sure attack those who have a different opinion.  That’s exactly what Cherry was talking about.  We live in big cities and have easy lives.  We have forgotten who made our lives so easy.  Again, why is bullying allowed here?  Your comment, about “being not surprised” is clearly an attempt to demean someone who sees things differently than yourself.  We are hypocrites.  How many of us go and keep a soldier’s grave tidy, or put flowers?  It’s more than just wearing  a poppy. 

You've literally spent this entire thread attacking "SJWs" for having a different opinion than you.

You seem like a good fella but probably need to walk it back a bit.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  No one voice is more valued.  IMO Don Cherry was given the opportunity to keep his job if he would publicly apologize.  He then refused, because in his mind he said nothing racist.  This is completely plausible.  So why do so many young SJWs call for Don’s head, and attack anyone who doesn’t agree with their divine powers of being the thought police? 

No one is being "thought police". Don's words were crystal clear. "You people" come here and take "our milk and honey". Don clearly created a segregation between people like him (read: non-immigrant Canadian) and people not like him (read: immigrant Canadians) and suggested that it is the immigrants who are not supporting our veterans and buying poppies. 

1) There is no evidence to support his claims. 

2) The comment is clearly racist. If Don didn't mean what those words clearly say, then he should have been fired anyways because you can't just say sh*t on national television without being mindful of your words. 

It doesn't matter if Don didn't mean to be racist (which I doubt because he's been racist and misogynistic countless times before this). What Don said WAS racist. And you get fired for saying racist sh*t on national television.

Edited by Fateless
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Sportsnet spoke with Don (Maybe trying to tell him to apologize) and looks like he didn't want to. I thought they would keep him after making the statement they did yesterday. Looks like they were trying to give him a chance, but because he didn't want to apologize, they changed their mind. Either that or some loud people on social media got heard. 

Was not expecting this, considering Don's said wayy more controversial stuff in the past. One thing that sucks about today's age of social media is that the loudest are heard, not the majority. Also if your famous, your not allowed to say anything wrong like the rest of us. 

I have friends who are from immigrant backgrounds who said this "You gotta look at the intent of the person, this is why I don't think what he said was racist, he was trying to support veterans and raise awareness for them, that was his intent". Same reaction happened from them with the blackface incident. Not one of them said "That was racist, he should be fired for what he just did or said" not one. And it wasn't just them, this is the reaction I'm hearing from most immigrants.  

There are just a few people on social media yelling and screaming for him to get fired and they get heard, so he gets fired. All the other immigrants or people from immigrant backgrounds who think it wasn't racist don't get heard. So people get the impression that all immigrants think what he said was racist, which is not the case at all. 

I am not in any way defending Don just trying to go below the "Surface of this all".  

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, coolboarder said:

IMO, it's bad move by Rogers.  On a Remembrance Day where he stood up for the veterans' behalf.  I feel that Rogers is too defensive with the political correctness and I truly hated political correctness era.  Anything that offends them where in 50's had a thick skin that could take anything that people tells them that was offensive.  You will see many people nowadays will not speak up for the fear of losing his employments.  If Rogers doesn't like Cherry, they could simply not renew the contract.   I think that Cherry wins here from now on.  Rogers' rating will only go downhill from now.  He could easily find other endeavors and will not miss any beat for as long as he desires to do it so and as long as fans will come and hear his opinions on anything related to hockey.  Even Cherry recognize the game of hockey is changing and still do it right in most case.  I am not even a fan of Cherry but I defend his right to express his opinions even if we do not agree with him.  

I keep seeing people saying this. Who's watching hockey on Saturday night for Coach's Corner? Like, aren't we all here for the hockey? 

2beezo.jpg

1 minute ago, awalk said:

It's not. But it's a bad thing to single out the most vulnerable in a country. Immigrants are among those. 

We see it in the U.S. all the time, it incites violence from anti-immigration groups and - usually - white supremacy groups towards these vulnerable minorities. It's just important to be careful with what is said and how it is said on national TV. 

Not that he should necessarily have been fired for this, that's cancel culture at its worst.

I agree but that is a big what if.

So everyone should would watch what they say because it might spark some radical idiots into a psychopathic violent outrage?

I don't want to live in a world like that. The majority of us are moral and good. I don't care about a handful of nutcases.

• Cheers 1