The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Nov. 27, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

so most of you want Green to be fired... and then i bet if you get your wishes, 6 months in to a new coach you will be asking for that coach to be fired after every loss..

seriously embarrassing to read some of the reactions on here... not coming on here after a loss again.. expecting maybe some logical conversation of what's going on with our team but its just a bunch of crying..  

• Like 2

A lot of Kleenex required it seems reading the PGT.   Look at the bright side, QH is now 6th in defenseman scoring, between Burns and Hedman.  

Got to have thick skin to follow this team and a little level headness.   This team is learning together - lessons sometimes take repetition to sink in.  Blaming the coach is getting old fast (win or lose).   He juggled the lines which worked and we got the offense we needed to win (despite the play tilting the other way), TG plays his better defensive players (for the most part) again the right move, with a very comfortable three goal lead and we lose.   Thems the brakes - Canuck Luck at its finest.   Maybe this will be the last time it happens in a while now that BOTH goalies have been through a “comeback like that”.   We’ve been on both the giving and receiving end now.   Maybe next time TG will pull the goalie - it worked for PIT. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

No I didn't forget what he actually said... which was: 

"...SOMETIMES you have to simplify things."

Not everytime, not always... sometimes.

And you should know players don't set the coaching strategy... unless they are Sidney Crosby...  Coaches do.

Nobody is saying you should never Dump and Chase, but it shouldn't be your only choice.

Watch the Cup finals last year...   St Louis is not playing Dump and Chase.

And maybe you are forgetting who was on the end of the pass from Quinn Hughes on a play which was the opposite of Dump and Chase.  On that play does it look like Miller would have preferred to chase the puck in the corner?

And we didn't dump and chase all the time either. You're over-exaggerating to make your point. I never said players set the coaching strategy, but clearly a player is okay and wants that system because it suits his game to retrieve pucks. It gives the line that option. We have several other players that are also good at retrieving pucks who are currently out. Coaches generally give the green light for the players to make the decision on an offensive play if they see an opening, but the safe play is to dump it and chase assuming the line has an effective puck retriever like Miller (and soon Ferland, Roussel, and Motte while Virtanen is learning and Pearson and Leivo also can play that role).

All teams dump and chase sometimes during their games. Just like the Canucks, so just because you see us doing it doesn't make it the only system we have. But we do have effective players to play that system when healthy.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DS4quality said:

Zone exits, zone entries, defensive sets, a stagnant powerplay, a 6 million dollar forward who can't get going playing 6 minutes on the 4th line, dump and chase, playing a 34 year old defenseman  25 minutes a game, no consistency with lines or coaching, benching useful players, bad bench minor penalties, and giving up huge leads...

It's easy to fine tooth comb it from home but the game isn't as simple as write it out and it shall happen.

Letang's 32 and also played 25 minutes.  Edler's 33.   Happens.  Teams weigh heavily, at times, on veteran(s) d men.

You've rattled off a list without specifics and I saw that they DID do some things differently (Jake and Gaud both scored driving TO the net rather than the usual  skate to then stop on the perimeter and look to pass).  

Giving up huge leads happens.  The team that lets us get ahead also gave up a big lead and it's not just a full speed ahead with no turning back for most teams.  These games are a battle and teams from behind start to take more risks - we saw a wide open (pretty damn exciting) game as a result.  

We're accused of "sitting on a lead" yet they kept going in order TO rack up 6 goals.  So they're not just doing the "same ol" as some are screaming (crying?).  

People expect this new/young team to just superman their way through with a no turning back full head of steam that leaves other teams in their dust.  Except the other teams are good and don't just go away like that.  They have to use these experiences as building blocks but to expect them to just sail through without a team like Pittsburgh responding?  Malkin?  They've won cups and know how to respond...our team has kids who are learning about that.  McCann is their youngest player (I believe) and everyone else on that roster is 25 and over and has been at this more than a year (or two).

We were too old/too slow...we've got young, speedy guys out there now.  

Our team wasn't scoring goals in the past...check, they did that.

What's that?  We want it all and we want it now?  Sure...all teams do.

On the road, a few games in now, and we didn't seal the deal.  Happens.   Big picture not microscopic.

I hate that some of our fans break it down to somehow these things being isolated to this team in a complete failure way that needs an overhaul and something drastic.  Be careful what you wish for.  All teams will experience games like this.

Overall, this team's likely right about where they should be if we're realistically calling things.  But we start to show some glimpses of brilliance and people lose their minds.

Should a team lock down a 3 goal lead?  Yep.  Do they always?  Nope.

Stech is in there, battling hard against the incredible Hulkin and gets called.  Petey's tied up and gets hauled down and...he gets called (too).  Things can make a team feel handcuffed at times like that.  Bad penalties but some, I feel, were good/necessary.  Petey in the box doesn't help us...but not sure he deserved that one.

Not to be full on homer....line changes look awful at times.  We have opportunities to have numbers going into their zone and, well, peel off..."my work here is done".  It's been mind boggling at times.  Change at the opportune times, not by abandoning the play.  Hustle off the ice, don't wave at the crowd and stop to floss your teeth.  There definitely are things that need refining - so let's be patient?

I saw them battling hard and sure, some things could be improved upon (and likely will be if given time and space to do so without calling for heads to roll).  It isn't perfect, but it's fun, exciting hockey that I saw last night, even if the end result sucked.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Pittsburg is playing without Sidney Crosby.

True - and that’s usually when Malkin does his best work.   He’s won the Art Ross twice when his pal missed games, the Hart and the Lindsay award too, runner up for the Hart another time.  Has a Conn Smythe  and arguably should have two (Crosby and Malkin were both deserving).  Him getting snubbed for the top 100 players all-time when other guys let in that are still playing .... kind of stupid.   He’s actually won more hardware then Toews, Kane, Keith etc and the same number of cups.   Also only Crosby has scored as many points in the playoffs as him since he joined the league...40 more then Kane ... and he sits at number 7 all-time for the most points in a single playoff. 

He can be a monster.   Crosby is great - but Malkin has quietly played behind his shadow and carved out an incredible career.   Wonder how many cups this team could have won without the cap and if they were willing to spend ... one of the best one-two punches ever.   They still arguably have the two best centers in the game - better than Stamkos and Point.   Better then Tavares and Mathews.   And these guys are five years  or so away from hanging them up for good, and are also the reason you can never count PIT out - both in the regular season and when it counts the most. 

Hate to be victimized by him, but we don’t have to act like victims as a result either.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Laheys Liquor said:

so most of you want Green to be fired... and then i bet if you get your wishes, 6 months in to a new coach you will be asking for that coach to be fired after every loss..

seriously embarrassing to read some of the reactions on here... not coming on here after a loss again.. expecting maybe some logical conversation of what's going on with our team but its just a bunch of crying..  

That's this board in a nutshell, so bipolar.  The GDT thread went from Fire Green to him unanimously winning the Jack Adams back to him getting canned in a matter of 3 or 4 pages.  

Not saying anyone should be canned but if I was the President of the team and ownership wanted a change I'd ax Benning - it's his roster he assembled.  Too much wasted cap and some of these deals(Myers, Ferland) outright scare me down the road.  I thought it was the D that got exposed, and our best forwards(Boeser, Petey) weren't backchecking,  Boeser on the ice for 7 goals total(for and against).  

Aside from that early faceoff lost in the 1st I thought Gaudette played a good game, and Virtanen was flying in the second.  Hughes also played a great game, so it's not all doom and gloom.  Hopefully this is a season defining moment were they have a close door meeting and figure this @#$% out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's easy to fine tooth comb it from home but the game isn't as simple as write it out and it shall happen.

Letang's 32 and also played 25 minutes.  Edler's 33.   Happens.  Teams weigh heavily, at times, on veteran(s) d men.

You've rattled off a list without specifics and I saw that they DID do some things differently (Jake and Gaud both scored driving TO the net rather than the usual stop on the perimeter and look to pass).  

Giving up huge leads happens.  The team that lets us get ahead also gave up a big lead and it's not just a full speed ahead with no turning back for most teams.  These games are a battle and teams from behind start to take more risks - we saw a wide open (pretty damn exciting) game as a result.  

We're accused of "sitting on a lead" yet they kept going in order TO rack up 6 goals.  So they're not just doing the "same ol" as some are screaming (crying?).  

People expect this new/young team to just superman their way through with a no turning back full head of steam that leaves other teams in their dust.  Except the other teams are good and don't just go away like that.  They have to use these experiences as building blocks but to expect them to just sail through without a team like Pittsburgh responding?  Malkin?  They've won cups and know how to respond...our team has kids who are learning about that.  McCann is their youngest player (I believe) and everyone else on that roster is 25 and over and has been at this more than a year (or two).

We were too old/too slow...we've got young, speedy guys out there now.  

Our team wasn't scoring goals in the past...check, they did that.

What's that?  We want it all and we want it now?  Sure...all teams do.

On the road, a few games in now, and we didn't seal the deal.  Happens.   Big picture not microscopic.

I hate that some of our fans break it down to somehow these things being isolated to this team in a complete failure way that needs an overhaul and something drastic.  Be careful what you wish for.  All teams will experience games like this.

Overall, this team's likely right about where they should be if we're realistically calling things.  But we start to show some glimpses of brilliance and people lose their minds.

Should a team lock down a 3 goal lead?  Yep.  Do they always?  Nope.

Stech is in there, battling hard against the incredible Hulkin and gets called.  Petey's tied up and gets hauled down and...he gets called (too).  Things can make a team feel handcuffed at times like that.  Bad penalties but some, I feel, were good/necessary. 

Not to be full on homer....line changes look awful at times.  There definitely are things that need refining - so let's be patient?

I saw them battling hard and sure, some things could be improved upon (and likely will be if given time and space to do so without calling for heads to roll).  It isn't perfect, but it's fun, exciting hockey.

Good read.  Can’t say it wasn’t a gut punch watching them claw back - but they did and deserved the win.   Imagine how the players feel...NEXT time might be different.   Miller is exactly what this team needed.  I’m stoked we didn’t go out and add Subban or someone else - he’s been an absolute godsend.   Without him we’d be bottom dwelling right now.

• Upvote 2

Just now, IBatch said:

Good read.  Can’t say it wasn’t a gut punch watching them claw back - but they did and deserved the win.   Imagine how the players feel...NEXT time might be different.   Miller is exactly what this team needed.  I’m stoked we didn’t go out and add Subban or someone else - he’s been an absolute godsend.   Without him we’d be bottom dwelling right now.

Miller's the glue that really keeps it intact.  I am so happy he's here.

• Cheers 1

US Thanksgiving and that means that 76% of the teams currently in the playoffs will more than likely still be there at the end of the season. The West is really tightening up and the Canucks could very easily wake up Monday morning and find themselves tied with the Wild for 14th in the West slightly ahead of the Kings. The 2 games against the Oilers this weekend are important, they don't want to all of a sudden be chasing 5-6 teams for a wildcard.

Capture.JPG

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2