The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Last night was the lowest attended Leafs game in over 19 years

Rate this topic

DonaldBrashear

30 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Gotta be the ever-increasing high cost of living here.... rent/mortgage... time to move to Alberta or Manitoba... where ppl get to save up more $ and have no other entertainment other than hockey!

Northern BC is where it's at. Plenty to keep occupied. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Attendance has never been the same since they switched to Pepsi.  I don't even drink soft drinks anymore but this still displeases me.  Coke is the winner, Pepsi is the loser and now we're losers.  

I don’t drink pop because it always made me feel horrible, but when I did, Pepsi always made me feel like I was gonna get diabetes.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I don’t drink pop because it always made me feel horrible, but when I did, Pepsi always made me feel like I was gonna get diabetes.  

I think you mean the Diabeetus.  Yeah they sold Pepsi at Dairy Queen and it always tasted like liquid sugar to me while Coke at least had some bite to it.  Glad I gave up chasing that red dragon though.  

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I got one - Canucks fans were worried the much improved Leafs were going to beat them soundly, and not many Canucks fans want to pay top dollar to see that. 

Nope, wrong.

More like Leaf fans usually gobble them all up for 3 times what they're worth but it was raining and they melt like the wicked witch Wizard of Oz style so they faded out and stayed in their hotels holes.  Where they belong.

Fans like that.

I cannot go into the same building as the Leafs or I break out in hives and vertigo.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Nope, wrong.

More like Leaf fans usually gobble them all up for 3 times what they're worth but it was raining and they melt like the wicked witch Wizard of Oz style so they faded out and stayed in their hotels holes.  Where they belong.

Fans like that.

I cannot go into the same building as the Leafs or I break out in hives and vertigo.

wish me luck then.. I'll be at the game in Toronto in Feb 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, beni said:

Northern BC is where it's at. Plenty to keep occupied. 

:lol::lol: Maybe this winter because it hasn’t dropped below -20 yet. Lived in Northern BC close to the AB boarder and I’d way rather live on the Alberta side. The amount of money you save on taxes, insurance and gas yearly would easily cover a 10+ day vacation in Vancouver every year. Plus Alberta is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. If you’ve ever travelled/toured it you would know. 

I find it funny a lot are talking about how the attendance is poor, or how people say the NHL is struggling yet the league is getting more revenue from Attendance in its history. Or at least that’s what thenhockey guy said on YouTube he went through all the figures and compared eras, it’s also notnjust because of the prices the number of people is also amongst the highest.

NBA can barely sell out in markets too, it will alwAys sell out in the playoffs unless you’re Ottawa

I think maybe it was more of a poor draw because if he time of the game, in a week night wasn’t it like a early start?

Plus both teams have lost more games then they’ve won? Pretty sure. (I’m counting the loser point as an actual loss on this scenario)

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever

6 hours ago, Templeton Peck said:

The premium ticket pricing for certain teams like The Leafs probably doesn't help any either.

No doubt about that. I used to go to games between 2006-09. I was getting upper bowl, front row seats on the blue line for around $100 a ticket, parking included. It's just too expensive these days. For $100 you're going to end up in the nose bleeds and hardly be able to see anything so you may as well stay home and watch on TV. 

Lots of snowbirds make a point of catching a game in AZ or FL when their teams play there. When you can get a decent seat for $30 vs $300 in Vancouver it's a no brainer if you're there for holiday anyway.

12 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Last night's game against the Toronto Maple Leafs did not sellout. Attendance was listed at 18,290, which means about 600 tickets went unsold. That means last night's game was the lowest attended leafs game in 19+ years. The last time a game had lower than that was October 16, 2000 when the attendance was 16,496.

Last night attendance was 18,290?

What is the average this year?

What is the average since 2000 that you quote?

Without context I don't if this even means anything.  I just looked and the max seating at Rogers Arena is 18,910.  So that low # you talk about is only 600 less than max?

Seems like a "nothing to see here" topic to me.

Now that 2000 attendance figure is in a league of its own of 16,496.

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Last night attendance was 18,290?

What is the average this year?

What is the average since 2000 that you quote?

Without context I don't if this even means anything.  I just looked and the max seating at Rogers Arena is 18,910.  So that low # you talk about is only 600 less than max?

Seems like a "nothing to see here" topic to me.

Now that 2000 attendance figure is in a league of its own of 16,496.

What you're not understanding is that, during the good years, the Canucks probably could have sold out BC Place for a Leafs game if they wanted. Now, they cant even sellout Rogers Arena. And in previous years, Leafs tickets were selling for $200/each on resale markets. This time it was possible to find them for $50. If that story doesn't interest you then that's okay. Not everyone shares the same interests. I find it fascinating though.

Edited by DonaldBrashear

17 hours ago, Steven Stamkos said:

:lol::lol: Maybe this winter because it hasn’t dropped below -20 yet. Lived in Northern BC close to the AB boarder and I’d way rather live on the Alberta side. The amount of money you save on taxes, insurance and gas yearly would easily cover a 10+ day vacation in Vancouver every year. Plus Alberta is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. If you’ve ever travelled/toured it you would know. 

Why on earth would anyone want to Vacation in Vancouver? Ew ::D

The perks of AB are a big plus, for sure. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/11/2019 at 8:21 AM, inane said:

I had tickets, I couldn't go. I posted them days ago for sale, no one asked. Before game I tried to give away for free. Nothing. Seats went empty. 

If you tried to give away for free, I would have taken it in a heartbeat.