The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

And People are wondering why this guy is upset

Rate this topic

It's unfortunate, but not surprising, that things of this nature are still coming out regarding this issue. 

I find the published apology that this team provided, for once, seemed sincere and in no way deflects or diminishes the harm that was caused by the actions of one of their employees. 

Shockingly unacceptable, but good that they took responsibility and made a sincere apology. I tend to agree with Sergio, where were his team mates? They're as much in the wrong I think, for egging him on and laughing, etc. Times have changed, or are changing. Used to be a time people dressed up on Halloween of whatever they wanted, although black face has never been acceptable in my eyes. 

We should all treat each other the same, but because we don't, there's racism. The N word, for example, is still used by many African descedents in NA, in music etc., and maybe this needs to change too. If one race is allowed to do or say something, while another isn't, that causes separation and division. That word should be banned from all mouths. It's so disrespectful.

• Upvote 4

Akim Aliu had been a member of the Colorado Eagles, a minor-league hockey team, for just a small part of the season in 2011 when he received an invitation to the team’s Halloween party. The team’s players, staff, management and even their families would be there.

A couple of days before the party, the Nigerian-born player was told to “come a little bit later,” he says. He didn’t think much of it, until he walked in and poured himself a beer.

That’s when he says the team’s head equipment manager, Tony Deynzer, appeared from behind a corner. Deynzer was in blackface, wearing an Afro-style wig and a jersey that had been custom-made with Aliu’s jersey number and nickname, “DREAMER,” emblazoned on the back.

Two years earlier, a coach for a different team, Bill Peters, had used a racial slur against Aliu, which resulted in Peters resigning from the Calgary Flames a decade later when Aliu brought it to light last month. In the moment at the Halloween party, he says, partygoers exhorted Aliu and Deynzer to pose in a picture together. Deynzer smiled. Aliu didn’t. In the background of one of the pictures, an infant crawled on the floor nearby.

“Guys just started laughing,” Aliu says. “All I can do is tell my story.”

Aliu says that what troubled him most about the incident at the Halloween party was how calculated it felt. In addition to the blackface and wig worn by Deynzer, Aliu felt he’d been told to arrive late just to set up the racist taunt. And the jersey, with Aliu’s nickname on it, had to be custom made.

Aliu posed for the picture, opting not to cause a scene because families, including children, were present. He says he didn’t see anyone else who was black at the party, and he felt trapped. He was in shock, he said, and didn’t fully realize the gravity of the moment until he called his brother immediately afterward.

“I didn’t even grasp the idea of how vicious of a thing that is to do,” Aliu says.

Aliu played only 10 games for the team. In the weeks after the incident, he asked for a trade, which at first was denied. His stress grew so severe after what took place that he says he was hospitalized.

The Jets said they weren’t aware of the incident until they were contacted by The Wall Street Journal, and outside of assigning a small number of players to the Eagles, no member of the Jets organization was employed by the Eagles.

To get away, he headed to play in Austria, but quickly had to turn around after he was finally dealt to Calgary, who immediately promoted him a level. By the end of the season, he was playing in the NHL for the Flames and appeared in his first two NHL games. He scored two goals and added an assist in those two games.

“Akim Aliu is shaping up to be an intriguing prospect,” the Calgary Sun wrote afterward. “The Flames don’t have anyone quite like the 22-year-old.”

The Flames re-signed him after the season, but his career didn’t take off as it might have. He played only five NHL games in the next season, which was shortened because of the lockout, while he also dealt with various injuries. From there, he bounced around with different minor league affiliates. He also played overseas. He hasn’t received another shot in the NHL.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/blackface-slurs-and-the-player-who-brought-a-racial-reckoning-to-hockey-11576082222

Article with more details

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

but this is totally fine

The dude took a picture with him!!!!!!!!!  

again he was a plug but is blaming other people for his failed career.

why can't you accept the apology part of the story? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SergioMomesso said:

no wonder why this guy had numerous problems with his team mates. Nobody stood up for him no matter where he played.

I heard on the radio this morning that the Equipment guy met him at the airport dressedlike this.

something does not add up

13 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

The Flames re-signed him after the season, but his career didn’t take off as it might have

confirms he was a trash hockey player

Development isn't linear and is affected by things like injuries and coaching. We have no idea how Aliu's career would have turned out if the people that were supposed to support him, in his coaches and teammates didn't let him down seemingly at every turn.  If Aliu had a better support system around him, it is conceivable he could have carved out a better career than he did. Regardless though he managed to get a cup of coffee in the NHL, better than 99% of people who ever laced on a pair of skates. 

Edited by Toews
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Things need to change, but the message is less powerful coming from this guy who couldn't cut it in the league and probably blames everyone else. He could just be some guy trying to be the next Kapernick, I'm sure Nike already has a deal on the table for him.   

how is he another Kapernick?

Kapernick has the skill to play but is forced out by his beliefs.

If I were to compare Kapernick to a hockey player, I'd compare him to Robin Lehner

Lehner speaks his mind 

27 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

but this is totally fine

Image result for trudeau blackface time

The dude took a picture with him!!!!!!!!!  

again he was a plug but is blaming other people for his failed career.

I don't think it was fine when Trudeau did it either. So what now, smart guy? 

I like how you read the article but completely ignored this bit:

Aliu posed for the picture, opting not to cause a scene because families, including children, were present. He says he didn’t see anyone else who was black at the party, and he felt trapped. He was in shock, he said, and didn’t fully realize the gravity of the moment until he called his brother immediately afterward.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2