The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Pittsburgh Penguins at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 21, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

33 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Yes the cap has forced a handful of the former higher priced guys that are on the downside of their careers out of the game 

look at kovalchuk 

Kovalchuk was a 35+ signing. His cap will not come off the books.

LA will still have his 6.25 million cap hit next season. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, milk and honey said:

The boys were beside the Fraser river in Chilliwack in early January. There was ice on the road and the truck they were in slipped and went into the freezing water.  both boys didn't survive. 

shocked the whole high school and city for sure. 

Here is the article for whoever wants more information 

https://bc.ctvnews.ca › mobile › co...
Community mourns Chilliwack teens killed after truck plunges into river | CTV News

rip CD and RD. See you up there one day

Cheers amigo. Much appreciated. Sad story...

37 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Kovalchuk was a 35+ signing. His cap will not come off the books.

LA will still have his 6.25 million cap hit next season. 

Yep I wasn't replying to that.  But to the record amount of one year deals given out to experienced vets that before the cap would have been given more and some term.  GMs are wising up to the fact that even though this is becoming a young mans legaue older vets are often the better options - when all is equal as far as cap is concerned.   Expect it to continue.  Extreme example is Perry.   But there are a lot of others too - who offer more reliability then fringe AHLers. Schenn was ours last year. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, nucks07 said:

Anyone know where the gaudette after hours clip is?

Did it happen?

TIA

It happened, its PVRd on my Tv :)

he basically talked about his siblings and the biggest challenge of coming to nhl is speed and strength for him, he also has quite a few more goal  celebrations he is saving for the big games :p 

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

It happened, its PVRd on my Tv :)

he basically talked about his siblings and the biggest challenge of coming to nhl is speed and strength for him, he also has quite a few more goal  celebrations he is saving for the big games :p 

Thanks for the recap, I would still love to see it!

19 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, it was a really nice interview.  It struck me that he thinks that he has been playing better than he has been since he came back from Utica.  I guess that's a thing with pro athletes.  They are just so confident in their ability. It's a big part of what got them there.

I have to wonder if he realizes that he is in the midst of a breakout year (I really believe that).  He is becoming a really effective player and is on pace for 20+ goals and 40+ points which is a big step up from previous years (best is 25 points).  

This interview has made me more of a fan.  He's a likeable kid.  I want him to do well.

Like to see the video of him shotgunning after his 20th goal...that will solidify the shotgun label....good to hear JV has set a goal for himself.

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"He just kinda brings them together for some reason. We hadn't found another... When he was out, no one really... I'm not saying anyone played bad but that line just seems to click better. When we put Motter with that line they're a better line." - Green on Motte's impact on the fourth line

Its his fearless play. He doesn't care how big the opponent is. He'll lay the body

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I definitely like the win but we do need to work on our d zone play 

we can’t  rely on Marky to be our d

biggest issue is cycle break. It’s times that we don’t finish the check on the passer that they cycle back into the play. It’s what the Sedins lived off, there were a few time we crunched the passer and we were successful in regaining possession. When we do regain possession there are times we need to realize we are in trouble and ice it it play it hard off the glass. We had too many turnovers on simple passes around the boards that were easy to intercept 

again, love the wins but if we can clean up the grade a chances we will be well positioned for success in the second half 

do need Edler back there 

would be nice to have a healthy Ferland as well 

The most glaring issue for this team is it gives up possession of the puck way too easy by making the easy play (dumping it in)...there are plays that they could be making if they maintained possession by keeping things simple....for example, using the neutral zone to create time and space to set up the attack triangle on entries and regroups...if they do these simple systems, they would be out shooting and more important outscoring every team.

Edited by Pete M

18 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Big Mac should have slotted in.

I disagree on this one Harry, we needed a defensive shutdown line for Malkin's line.  They owned us big time when we played them two weeks ago in Pittsburgh.  I like Zack and have high hopes for him but he's not good defensively yet.  

Louie had a good game, Horvat's line combined with Beagle's line to shut down Malkin's line and the proof is really in pudding :) 

I wouldn't mind seeing Zack in the lineup if Schaller or Motte get injured.  Not a huge fan of playing Zack in matchup roles against the other team's best lines.  He needs another year or two of pro experience to get his feet wet and learn the defensive side.  His forecheck is good though!