The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sunday Morning Confessional at the Church of V

Rate this topic

VforVasili

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's great that he's doing well and playing like a top 6 forward right now. I've generally been an advocate of holding onto Virtanen (unless the right deal came along), although I figured his ceiling was a good 3rd liner. Hopefully he's able to prove me wrong, but he's not there yet. He has to be able to put up these types of numbers over the course of a full season before I'm willing to say that he's the guy we were all hoping he would be when we drafted him. 

I don’t claim he has arrived either. And if he is an awesome 3rd liner I am good with that! Certainly not the fat lazy and uninspired player he was painted to be either. 

4 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

I don’t claim he has arrived either. And if he is an awesome 3rd liner I am good with that! Certainly not the fat lazy and uninspired player he was painted to be either. 

Nah, regardless of whether or not he can still grow and evolve as a player, he'd definitely an NHL player, and to say otherwise would be disingenuous. 

On 9/29/2019 at 4:00 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

Everybody needs to take a deep breath, look in the mirror and digest the reality that Lazy Jake is.   Remember, it was Linden who made him "a sympathy draft pick" in an effort to excite the fan base by bringing in a local kid when the team had absolutely nothing going for it to excite the base.  Secondly,  Jake is a seagull player,  I watched Jake play through the years of minor hockey and he was always known as the kid that floated up around the blue line waiting for the "opportunity" pass to land on stick and blow in for a goal.  That was what he was always known for and still is.  He never was a hard north/south - end-to end player and why we routinely see him floating like a cork around the neutral zone.   So how he ever got ranked so high in the draft is beyond me. 

Lazy Jake should have been a mid 2nd to high 3rd round draft player.  If he would have been ranked there and picked up in the second or third, we'd all be singing kum-ba-ya now, but because of the ridiculous ranking he was given and where he was picked, he now appears to be "a lazy, good for nothing immature, under achieving, out of shape, flaky floater".   So, going forward, I say we give him no more than 4 months and if by January he's still out of shape, dis-engaged or as lazy as he's been over the last 2 years - then we trade him.  A second rounder in a trade would be plenty and a first rounder would be a bonus, but both he and the team need to $h!t or get off the pot.  It's bad enough our team is harboring old anchors with bad habits like Erikson and Edler, but keeping a lazy 22 y.o. under achieving first rounder doesn't cut it - if the team is serious about creating a hard-working culture of success.  

Enough said!

• Haha 2

I've always had a soft spot for Jake and believed he could become an elite third liner but it's looking like he can be a top tier second line guy.

I was drooling over his junior hits highlight reel. 

Maybe the final step in his development is to take a page out of A Clockwork Orange and play those highlights for him/the team before everygame

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

Absolution is good, but we need some dirt on Green to force him to play Jake in the top 6 and on the 1st PP unit!    

The hockey gods are good to those who wait for them. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of Travis Green. It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth.

Be patient and have faith my child. 

It feels right in here. I always feel bad when I comment on Jake cause it's almost always in his defense. There are times I want to defend him but don't cause I don't wanna come off as a homer as they say. Jake has been my fav hockey player ever since early 2013. So I do have some bias when it comes to Jake but it still sucks when I see people just hating the hell out of him cause he's not what you'd expect from most 6th overall picks. He is a good dude, a lot of fun to watch, and I still think there is more from Jake if given the opportunity to show more. Happy holidays everyone, even those that hate my favourite player. :P 

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Cheers 3