The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sunday Morning Confessional at the Church of V

Rate this topic

VforVasili

Ok I will play.   About a year ago I found an article that had the 50 biggest draft  busts over the past ten years.   We had two guys on the list, JV was around 17 and OJ was at the same spot he was drafted in (5).   That might be the the worst thing I ever said on the forum regarding JV - but for the most part I've been pretty non-committal on bashing or personally calling him a bust - on the fence and on the wait and see side of things.   However I also stressed earlier this year several times (and before his recent tear) that he's not really a bust under what actual scouts consider a bust.  Based on his draft position as long as he plays 400 or more NHL games he makes the cut.   Which I'm sure he will do.   Even without progression he's done enough to show he's a serviceable bottom six guy with upside.   Now that upside is finally bearing fruit and it appears he's breaking out.   Right on schedule too (4th year is the charm for the majority of players).  

If the OP is so inclined too, I look forward to see what others have to confess - and the entertainment value for members who decide to eat crow and or lie their pants off.   Hey I will start - "Always new he was going to make it as a top six guy,  never doubted it in a million years " ha ha.

• Haha 2

Flashes of greatness supported by good linemates that don't completely mask the fact that his decision making is sometimes completely awful. Very rarely does JV make a good play that he can finish on his own which stands out when you have guys like JT Miller who are constantly doing little things to drive offense.

If JV played most games like he did last night, he would be amazing. It's a shame he shows up like that once or twice a month. I wish he would show up more.

• Upvote 2

On 9/24/2019 at 12:29 PM, DownGoesMcdavid said:

I'm officially on the trade Jake Virtanen train.  

Even if it's for a  3rd or 4th round pick.  

Use the asset to add to a package that will get us an NHL player for the playoff push and hopefully the playoffs itself.  

JV just isnt a good hockey player.  He reminds  me of Euginie Bourchard w. Tennis.  All the tools in the world to be successful but neither are motivated.

Jv doesnt hit, he skates around real fast without a purpose and his ice-q is below average.

His game hasnt evolve.  He can clearly see that he doesnt have the skills to be a power forward, why not evolve and develop some sort of net front presence game.  Be a screen, be a big body in around the net , be something.   Instead , he plays a perimeter game like he is 5'8 170lbs.  

I'm done with this player.  Hoping I'm wrong. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

As a mod, I initially thought that I should probably close/move/merge this thing for substance/placement-because players have threads.

But then the vision of sugarplums Jake smashing everything in sight last night danced in my head and I came to my senses.  Going to make some cookies now (white chocolate chunk pomegranate...so good).  Bake for Jake.

image.png

You are truly blessed as a mod and will be forgiven if you close it tomorrow. Meant in fun. Probably shouldn’t have posted after watching Two Popes. 

• Haha 2

It's great that he's doing well and playing like a top 6 forward right now. I've generally been an advocate of holding onto Virtanen (unless the right deal came along), although I figured his ceiling was a good 3rd liner. Hopefully he's able to prove me wrong, but he's not there yet. He has to be able to put up these types of numbers over the course of a full season before I'm willing to say that he's the guy we were all hoping he would be when we drafted him. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2019 at 10:12 PM, Throckmorton said:

Trade Jake Virtanen for Max Domi

Relatively the same age, points etc. But Max is is great friends with Bo, they have a history and a great friendship, might be the perfect line mate, and let's face it Jake progression has halted in Vancouver.