The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 04, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Don't mistake my criticism of Green for criticism of the team and its players.

I think this team has unbelievable talent... Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Markstrom, Demko, Gaudette, Virtanen, etc. etc.

But that talent is not being used to its potential offensively because the coaching and systems are not in place.

this is dumb. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Markstrom stole this game... the Canucks had no business winning it based on their play.

Yep.

And like every top goalie, he will steal some more when the team has an off night.  The team will also steal some games when Marky has an off night but they score a lot.  Happens every year.

Nothing to see here folks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Good god...some poster is in here whining about the team winning?

Haha.....take a breath....go outside.....enjoy life pal.

:picard:

You are not too smart are you?

Read my posts... I am happy to see the Canucks winning... I have been a fan for 40 years... I was inside Pacific Coliseum for Game 6 in '94.

What doesn't impress me is a coach who doesn't know enough how to use his players.

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Don't mistake my criticism of Green for criticism of the team and its players.

I think this team has unbelievable talent... Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Markstrom, Demko, Gaudette, Virtanen, etc. etc.

But that talent is not being used to its potential offensively because the coaching and systems are not in place.

aren’t we one of the top scoring teams in the the though?  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

It’s most successfull when a Canuck steps out of the box and lays a heavy body check that breaks the cycle. 

Stationary box , not so much.

Agreed.

At a recent clinic I was at they are told only to go on butts or bobbles. I keep hoping for a butt or bobble so they attack.

17 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Read my posts... I am happy to see the Canucks winning... I have been a fan for 40 years... I was inside Pacific Coliseum for Game 6 in '94.

What doesn't impress me is a coach who doesn't know enough how to use his players.

funny it seems Green is well liked among the league and the media. they think he is doing a good job. but what do I know , I am just a fan of at least 40 years myself. been with this team in the ups and downs, and to me Green is not perfect, but what coach is and the players like him which is most important

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Wrong example... the guy Edler crushed came out of the corner and scored.

You should have picked the Myers check that stopped a cycle.

Intermission commentary folk picked up on this one - thought Edler was trying to fill a gap instead of remembering the possibility of the guy lying on the ice that he had just stapled. Good on Buchnivech for getting up and in the play so quick. Edler likely thought he was out of the play.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jam126 said:

You have this perception because you're mostly watching Canucks games. If you watch other teams, you'll see quickly that goalies steal many many games every night. Even elite teams have to get bailed out every so often. That's why the goalie position is the most important in hockey.

I understand that sentiment but that's also discluding the fact we've watched this team and other teams have average goaltending throughout the season and there's only a handful of consistently elite goaltenders in the league and it varies from season to season. Carey Price used to be one, Quick, Thomas, etc. When your goalie is winning you this many points you notice it more, and it's plain and simple just easy to recognize that. 

7 hours ago, bree2 said:

LOTS

Yeah? Name em. Tell me which teams have their goalies steal about 20% of their teams' points this season. What team is actually pretty bad and has to be bailed out as much as ours is and sits high in the standings mainly based off of the consistency of their goaltending? What other team has their goalie being the #1 star the most on their team? Markstrom probably has more stars than Petey does this year. 

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Every top goalie in the league steals games.  That's the point of having a top goalie.  

Right? Imagine that, key players playing well having a positive affect on the outcome of games..... The conspiracy theorist in me thinks they get paid to do that.

Edited by Nucksfollower1983
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, joe-max said:

Yesterday Mike Smith made 35 saves when Edmonton won against Boston despite being outshot by 36-26.

The same day Michael Hutchinson made 33 saves in a shutout for Toronto despite his team being outshot 33-22.

On that very same day Linus Ullmark stopped 32 of 34 to win it for Buffalo. His team was outshot 34-18.

This was one day. It happens.

Dude you just mentioned Mike Smith. Come on, man. Obviously goalies steal games. I'm talking about consistently. Consistently this year Mike Smith has cost them games. 

Markstrom is CONSISTENTLY STEALING games. We've won probably 7 games this year we've had no business winning, and 5 where we probably should have lost but thankfully our goaltending was better. Yeah of course it's common but it's not this common to have a team play poorly for majority of games and still win. The top teams do this on a rare basis because they usually don't put themselves in those positions. Other teams like us have Markstrom carry the load of the entire team. If Markstrom is just average we are sitting probably 8 points out of a playoff spot right now. 

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The difference is that Marky is stealing more than just one game... he has stolen multiple games in the current streak and previously.

Team is too dependent on him coming up big.

Imagine that, a pro sports team depending on key players to come up big to win them some games.... crazy....

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, bree2 said:

funny it seems Green is well liked among the league and the media. they think he is doing a good job. but what do I know , I am just a fan of at least 40 years myself. been with this team in the ups and downs, and to me Green is not perfect, but what coach is and the players like him which is most important

Yep, and Mark Messier was worshipped among the Media and the League when Keenan brought him onto the Canucks.

But I never liked him since the '94 series and knew he wouldn't do anything for the team.

Chalk up one for me and none for the bandwagoners.

Maybe I'm wrong about Green, but personally I think he is fired by end of next season latest.

• Wat 2

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

So you‘ve been a fan for 40 years. You watched Game 6 of the Stanley cup final in 1994 live and that in your mind makes you more knowledgeable then the coach currently on a 7 game win streak in the toughest hockey league in the world? I’ve been a fan for 20 years, doesn’t mean I know more then the guy actually paid to coach.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bree2 said:

Reminds me of a young Crow... He took time too...

• Like 1