The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick Marleau to pass Gordie Howe

Rate this topic

HKSR

Marleau has played in 1700 NHL games!  If he finishes up this season healthy, and plays a handful more games, he'll pass Gordie Howe for most games ever played in the NHL!  Kudos where it is due.  Staying healthy in this league is extremely tough.  Marleau is also on an 831 game iron man streak (2nd only to Yandle's 841 games).  Incredible!

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/milestone-men-after-marleaus-1700th-game-whos-next-to-reach-a-major-mark

• Upvote 1

With 1700 games in the NHL, I'm sure most of us have a favorite Patrick Marleau memory....

....mine is the night he got tuned in by Juice during the 2011 playoff series against the Sharts....

....Followed closely by the night I saw his Seattle T-Birds play the Cougars in PG. Another loss for PM and a night where T-Bird gloves were being dropped all over the ice....but none of them anywhere in the vicinity of Zdeno Chara....

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Good for Pat

Had there been no WHA , Gordie would have had over another 400 games

I'm not super well-learned on the history, but I'm not sure Gordie would have unretired if there had been no WHA.

e: if memory serves, Houston reached out to Gord and asked him to consider coming back to the game.

Edited by 112

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

....mine is the night he got tuned in by Juice during the 2011 playoff series against the Sharts....

That was only part of it.

The hilarious part was the shill Sharks media complaining that Bieksa was 'spot-picking' a fight with a smaller player (ignoring the fact PM is actually larger than Juice....and I don't mean he was on the Keith Tkachunk diet).  Now if they complained that it wasn't fair Bieksa, a solid middleweight, fighting a guy that doesn't fight....well that would be different.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That was only part of it.

The hilarious part was the shill Sharks media complaining that Bieksa was 'spot-picking' a fight with a smaller player (ignoring the fact PM is actually larger than Juice....and I don't mean he was on the Keith Tkachunk diet).  Now if they complained that it wasn't fair Bieksa, a solid middleweight, fighting a guy that doesn't fight....well that would be different.

There was a fair amount of that, especially from San Jose and media in places like Edmonton....

....but that ignores the fact that Marleau started the fight...

Marleau admitted he started the fight.

“I haven’t fought too many times but I’m the one who dropped my gloves,” said Marleau, who sported a welt on his forehead. “It was my decision too. “I don’t really know the reason. We just kind of exchanged shots and decided to drop the gloves. No real big reason.”

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/bieksa-scores-big-goal-throws-punches-in-fight-as-canucks-defeat-sharks

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I've always been in favor of combining the records.

I'm undecided about combining, as they were against different opponents,

Then you may have to add KHL and different leagues too?

I forgot that Mr Hockey was retired for 2 years before his 6 years of playing in the WHA , so you could easily add on over another 500 games to Howes total if he had remained in the NHL