The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] All Star Weekend - Jan 24/25 2020 - Pettersson, Hughes, and Markstrom edition

Rate this topic

xereau

11 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

About as legit as MacInnis' 100.4

Lol, no doubt.

I hate that they pulled that stunt, and then everyone doubled down with tweets like these:

I mean, sure, MacInnis is a legend, and he looked pretty good out there, but did we really need the fakery? Very clear from the video that the radar gun was turned off (note the readout of 0.00 at ice level) and that 100.4 result (matching his best career result) was pre-programmed.

At least big Al didn’t whiff on the shot. Although it would have been funny to see that 100.4 MPH result pop up on the jumbotron on a weak trickler that didn’t even cross the goal line.

I’m all for fun and games, and these events are more theatre than sport, but there’s a fine line here. When you start faking “official” results and passing them off as real, it kind of cheapens the actual competition. And I want to believe that Petey shot his 102.4 (for the record: I think he did, and the other players also shot their results). But if the NHL is willing to fake the MacInnis results, just to make some “good TV,” who knows where else the fix might be in during the ASG?

Anyway, not trying to be a Debby Downer here. It was fun to see MacInnis and that 100.4 MPH mark was ultimately used to give some money to charity, so kinda “no harm no foul,” I guess.

Plus, I’m now really looking forward to the next ASG they hold in Chicago. Can’t wait to watch an 80+ year old Bobby Hull shoot 118.3 MPH! Gonna be legendary. ;) 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

oh I didn't watch the girls yesterday.

Fox Puck!

It doesn't change colours anymore?

they were good, the skill has come a long way and Canada's goalie looked great. 

the puck tracking thing was idiotic and distracting. 

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Damn straight Ghost.  Shafted and still got the best players in their drafts:  Petey and Huggy Bear

elite 1C and elite 1D. Yeah I'd say we did "OK"..  :lol: 

Petey goes 1st oa, Quinn a legit argument 3rd oa in a draft re-do. Boeser goes 10th for 2015 which was deep. 

Can't wait for Podkolzin. I'm just fine with his development, he's being tasked with earning his ice time and he's slowly doing it. I'd much rather him learn now he has to earn it than come over here as an entitled baby.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they were good, the skill has come a long way and Canada's goalie looked great. 

the puck tracking thing was idiotic and distracting. 

yea,

watching replay now.

3 on 3 was the way to do it for a skill comp evening. Lots of movement. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

yea,

watching replay now.

3 on 3 was the way to do it for a skill comp evening. Lots of movement. 

I do think there's a market for women's hockey if they can package it as an event for young families most of the time and then get some occasional larger tv revenue from things like US-Canada tournaments. It'll never be huge but I can see it surviving if marketed correctly. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I do think there's a market for women's hockey if they can package it as an event for young families most of the time and then get some occasional larger tv revenue from things like US-Canada tournaments. It'll never be huge but I can see it surviving if marketed correctly. 

Do they allow body checking yet?

Ron McLean makes me cringe. Really liked the Canadian anthem. The women's 3-on-3 was great. Loved the end to end action and Desbiens was outstanding. Some of those women have serious skill. The puck tracker was stupid. Who is this for? I'm appalled if they did that for the women watching. Are they doing that for the ASG? The new sharp shooter targets suck and weren't working. I doubt the hardest shot meter was working properly either. Watching the Tkachuk family bonding was kind of weird and gross. That last comp (long shot) was just odd. I'd rather see the long shot to a target in the far goal. Maybe light the pucks on fire for theatrics. :towel:

The Canucks weren't in a position to succeed here. They put Pettersson in the hardest shooter (only forward), and Hughes in the fastest skater (only D, and going up against McDavid). Markstrom did pretty well. This ASG skills comp was all about the Blues, the results were sketchy and really hard to take any of this seriously. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

just my opinion....

fastest skater comp.....have ALL skaters compete and move the nets back to the goal line.

save comp... it's okay

shot accuracy... go back to the broken foam targets...those electronic targets missed many a hit.

hardest shot... comp. is okay... should also have hardest wrist shot comp.

shot gimmick accuracy.... blah, blah blah...boring...

- should have been a target shoot from the blue line

womens 3x3 was okay. but get rid of that puck tracer.

-womens wnhl league could be set up in cities deemed too small for nhl teams. use it as a trial for potential owners who want nhl franchises. citites like Kansas city, Cinncinati, Hamilton, Regina...etc.

flame away, this is just my opinion 

Edited by grumpyone

38 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Ron McLean makes me cringe. Really liked the Canadian anthem. The women's 3-on-3 was great. Loved the end to end action and Desbiens was outstanding. Some of those women have serious skill. The puck tracker was stupid. Who is this for? I'm appalled if they did that for the women watching. Are they doing that for the ASG? The new sharp shooter targets suck and weren't working. I doubt the hardest shot meter was working properly either. Watching the Tkachuk family bonding was kind of weird and gross. That last comp (long shot) was just odd. I'd rather see the long shot to a target in the far goal. Maybe light the pucks on fire for theatrics. :towel:

The Canucks weren't in a position to succeed here. They put Pettersson in the hardest shooter (only forward), and Hughes in the fastest skater (only D, and going up against McDavid). Markstrom did pretty well. This ASG skills comp was all about the Blues, the results were sketchy and really hard to take any of this seriously. 

100 percent. Ron Mclean is a tool. I wish he would retire already. 

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why do you say that? I wouldn't doubt it. The composite sticks I think they help more because they are lighter it help eases fatigue. The bending and whipping factor I think is minor and not the big deal that manufacturers say it is. I think it helps the average player, but exceptional players I don't think there's much difference between a wooden stick and composite. Then theres the strength of the player and their technique.

The speed exactly matches the hardest shot of his career, which would be a crazy coincidence. I somehow doubt he can match his career best as an NHL player 20 years later at 56 years old.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

just my opinion....

fastest skater comp.....have ALL skaters compete and move the nets back to the goal line.

save comp... it's okay

shot accuracy... go back to the broken foam targets...those electronic targets missed many a hit.

hardest shot... comp. is okay... should also have hardest wrist shot comp.

shot gimmick accuracy.... blah, blah blah...boring...

- should have been a target shoot from the blue line

womens 3x3 was okay. but get rid of that puck tracer.

-womens wnhl league could be set up in cities deemed too small for nhl teams. use it as a trial for potential owners who want nhl franchises. citites like Kansas city, Cinncinati, Hamilton, Regina...etc.

flame away, this is just my opinion 

For sure get back to the foam plates for targets. That's just a tradition they shouldn't mess with.