The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada First

Rate this topic

Tree n Me

I understand that natural rivalries exist between the Canucks and other teams.  As a Canuck fan since before Barry Wilkins scored franchise goal number one against Dennis DeJordy, the Canucks are my team, in good times and bad.  When the Canucks play a team like the Flames, I am solidly behind the Canucks, even though we live in the "Alberta" part of B.C.  I cheer for my hometown team to beat every team, whether it is a Canadian or American based franchise.  However, in a game between another Canadian team an ANY American team  I always choose to support the Canadian team.  I see lots of hate for certain Canadian teams on this forum, and to some degree I understand the feeling.  But I have never once in all the years I have watched hockey cheered for Any American based team when they were playing ANY Canadian team.  I'm still, and will always be, ticked that the Nordiques were relocated to a US city.

• Cheers 2

you do realize

that canadian players

make up the majority of nhlers still

nope, i am mistaken, they make up 43%

and are spread across the league as members of various teams

you can simply choose to support your canadian branded teams

made up of a mixture of players with different nationalities

but i'm not really sure that sort of support

is any better

then choices others may make to support a non canadian market team

i am also in favour

of national anthems no longer being played at sporting events

which do not involve national teams

Edited by coastal.view

13 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you do realize

that canadian players

make up the majority of nhlers still

nope, i am mistaken, they make up 43%

and are spread across the league as members of various teams

you can simply choose to support your canadian branded teams

made up of a mixture of players with different nationalities

but i'm not really sure that sort of support

is any better

then choices others may make to support a non canadian market team

Canadians will fiercely support Canadian teams (all sports) in any International competitions. Canadians will always support Canadians in individual sports such as golf and tennis.

BUT, I don't think we will ever support our most hated NHL rivals against other teams regardless if they are Canadian, American or the new future Timbuktu franchise. I just don't think it is in our DNA as Vancouverites to cheer for Edmonton or Calgary just as they largely would not support the Canucks. I guess if I had to find a way to support another team after the Canucks have been eliminated I would maybe go for the team with the most Canadian players, currently St. Louis. Then again, I doubt know I would not cheer for Edmonton even if they had all Canadian players.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Tree n Me said:

I get your point about each team being made up of a conglomeration of nationalities.  I choose to support these multinational groups that represent cities in the country where I live (seven months a year)'.

yes most of us support the brand and identify closely with it

rather then the nationality of the team

and would likely support the local team made up of 100% non canadian players

over a usa based team comprised of 100% canadian players

so this has nothing to do with nationality or the back ground of players

it is just regional rivalries

our brand against everyone else

i think you may wish to reconsider the title of your thread

and change it to

"local brand first"

Edited by coastal.view

I'm totally with you. It doesn't matter that over 50% of the NHL is made of Canadian players when American cities are the ones cheering when the Cup is won. It doesn't matter to the American fans that half their team is made up of Canadians. If we win the Cup, its' Vancouver's cup. It doesn't matter that Boeser, Gaudette, Demko, etc are American. 

Thus, I don't care that O'reilly is Canadian. When he won the cup, it was the city of St. Louis winning the Cup. And I'd rather any Canadian franchise win the Cup over an American one. 

8 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I'm totally with you. It doesn't matter that over 50% of the NHL is made of Canadian players when American cities are the ones cheering when the Cup is won. It doesn't matter to the American fans that half their team is made up of Canadians. If we win the Cup, its' Vancouver's cup. It doesn't matter that Boeser, Gaudette, Demko, etc are American. 

Thus, I don't care that O'reilly is Canadian. When he won the cup, it was the city of St. Louis winning the Cup. And I'd rather any Canadian franchise win the Cup over an American one. 

so then what exactly does this thread have to do with

canada first ???

49 minutes ago, the grinder said:

well I certainly didn't see any other Canadian cities cheering for the canucks vs boston  ,heck 80% of cbc commentators' were cheering for boston  , so ya I aint cheering for any Alberta team or Toronto , they can suck it  

Montreal fans mostly were in our corner.  Granted, mainly because they LOATHED the Bruins.

**** Toronto.

**** Edmonton.

**** Calgary.

**** Ottawa.

53 minutes ago, the grinder said:

well I certainly didn't see any other Canadian cities cheering for the canucks vs boston  ,heck 80% of cbc commentators' were cheering for boston  , so ya I aint cheering for any Alberta team or Toronto , they can suck it  

This ^^^^ all day long! Glad it was the first thing said in this thread.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This ^^^^ all day long! Glad it was the first thing said in this thread.

Yes.  Only quebec fans supported our club against the Bruins....

So i in turn will support the Habs when then go the finals the next time for them  in 2065.........

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

The thing is...

I don't know any St. Louis Blues fans that will rub it in my face if they win the cup - same with Tampa Bay Lightning fans or Pittsburgh Penguins fans.  I never hear from them.

do however, hear alot of boasting about Edmonton's cups, Toronto's great future, and Calgary's divisional wins from their fans here in B.C.  If another Canadian team were to win the Cup (except for maybe Winnipeg or Ottawa), I will never hear the end of it and it will be frustrating as hell.

For that reason, I cheer against the Oilers, Flames, Leafs and Canadiens.

Edited by Saved_by_Jesus
  • Cheers 2

I really only cheer for the Canucks. My wife is from Ottawa and my Mom's a Habs fan, so I will cheer for their teams (at times) out of L&R for my ladies.

I watch my share of non-Canucks games because I love hockey, not because I GAF about either of the other teams though. It can be easier to enjoy a game for what it is when you have absolutely no emotional investment in either team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I will never, ever cheer for Calgary, and I'll only cheer for Edmonton when they're playing Calgary.  Ignorant rednecks for fans and utterly classless groups of players. 

I would sooner cheer for the North Korean national team than the Flames.

I think you must have the other half of my amulet. 

1 hour ago, Tree n Me said:

I understand that natural rivalries exist between the Canucks and other teams.  As a Canuck fan since before Barry Wilkins scored franchise goal number one against Dennis DeJordy, the Canucks are my team, in good times and bad.  When the Canucks play a team like the Flames, I am solidly behind the Canucks, even though we live in the "Alberta" part of B.C.  I cheer for my hometown team to beat every team, whether it is a Canadian or American based franchise.  However, in a game between another Canadian team an ANY American team  I always choose to support the Canadian team.  I see lots of hate for certain Canadian teams on this forum, and to some degree I understand the feeling.  But I have never once in all the years I have watched hockey cheered for Any American based team when they were playing ANY Canadian team.  I'm still, and will always be, ticked that the Nordiques were relocated to a US city.

I find that interesting that you talk about national pride but say you are from the Alberta part of B.C. I for one will never cheer on the Leafs or the Alberta teams and that's mostly do to their fans. Like you I have been cheering on the Canucks since day one and it drove me nuts as a kid going to Canucks games when they played against the Leafs, seeing all their fans booing the Canucks in our building.

• Like 1