Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Carolina Hurricanes | Feb. 02, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

53 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Lets put some context to this cause it is not that simple

Car plays one hell of a good defensive game

Car has the 5th best PK

It is hard to play against Car and ask TBL about that, I was surprised the Canucks where able to come back trailing after the 3rd and even out shooting them 7-6 that is how tight Car can make it on a team, Car is very good at shutting it done in the 3rd when leading. It goes to show the perseverance the Canucks had in the 3rd period

That’s the issue. When it comes to the playoffs you have to be able to defend the best 

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Hughes played such a great game 

great to see Green reward him with a shot in the shootout.....wait 

Still got a point and finished up a solid winning streak. So much for giving Green a chance, one SO loss and right back to bad Green takes... 

• Haha 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Still got a point and finished up a solid winning streak. So much for giving Green a chance, one SO loss and right back to bad Green takes... 

Generally the team played well other than a putrid pp and a terrible habit of cycling back under pressure in our own end. 

Hughes has great hands and played a great game. He needed be the shooter over Bo 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Size, intimidation in front of the net, good outlet pass, can chip in on the scoreboard, good reach, has enough speed to get back if caught pinching...

Not as reductive as he’s not out 3 on 3 so he’s not worth 6mil...

Size yes 

Intimidating in front of the net. LOL he is a care bear, bot a grizzly bear, I don't think he has ever intimidated anyone since he has been here, but feel free to prove me wrong

good outlet pass, can chip in on the scoreboard, good reach, has enough speed to get back if caught pinching. Does he do this Better then lets say Stecher?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Size yes 

Intimidating in front of the net. LOL he is a care bear, bot a grizzly bear, I don't think he has ever intimidated anyone since he has been here, but feel free to prove me wrong

good outlet pass, can chip in on the scoreboard, good reach, has enough speed to get back if caught pinching. Does he do this Better then lets say Stecher?

Stecher is a Smurf.  Love his try, but he’s easily replaced 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

That’s the issue. When it comes to the playoffs you have to be able to defend the best 

I don't get it are you saying the Canucks don't know how to defend

This is the back end of a back to back game, 

Here a little more context 

Van 7th in PP

Van 13 in PK

Van 7th in goals for 

Van 19th in Goals against 

Goals against low, PK % high tell a person the Canucks know how to defend

PP% High,  Goals for high tells a person they also know how to score

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Van 7th in PP

Van 13 in PK

Van 7th in goals for 

We give up a lot of shots don't we? 

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

Van 7th in PP

Van 13 in PK

Van 7th in goals for 

Anyone who know the absolute basics of tge game can see how we get running around in our own end and then panic when the blue line is in sight. 

Baumer has no clue. Luckily we have Hughes who do can skate us out of trouble. Even Garrett has mentioned several times that we need to focus on getting it over our blue line when we get into a jam.

the glass is your friend Baumer 

that said, one point in Carolina is big 

43 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Still absorbing yesterday's game and another game is over already. Here are my thoughts.

1. Another close game against a good team that could have gone either way. Shots, corsi numbers, and chances were all pretty close. This time we are on the losing end but at least we get a point.

2. As Qwags and others have said, we can't complain about the road trip so far, with 5 pts out of a possible 6 despite a really tough "double morning" back to back against two good teams, both of which are currently in playoff position.

3. This game had several similarities to yesterday's game. The Horvat line was hard-matched against the top Carolina line and Carolina was happy to go with matchup, so Horvat had over 12 even strength minutes against Aho. That meant that Eriksson was trying to check Svechnikov a lot of the time, and that was tough for him. Once again, the Horvat line lost the shutdown battle, giving up 2 goals and not getting on the board for -2 overall. I am not complaining. The Svechnikov line is excellent and I still think this is by far the best strategy for the Canucks. I would note in passing that Beagle played less than one minute against Aho. Green has apparently abandoned the strategy of trying to get the Beagle line to play significant shutdown minutes and make things easier on the Horvat line. 

4. Yes, it was nice to see Hughes get on the board with an assist. And he made a lot of good offensive plays again. But he struggled defensively. Svechnikov basically turnstiled Hughes on the 3-2 goal. (Svechnikov blitzed by Eriksson and Hughes on that play.) Of course, Svechnikov is an excellent player. Hughes was a great pick in the 2018 draft and probably moves up to #3 in the redraft, maybe #2, but I still have Svechnikov ahead and probably at #1 in redraft, ahead of Hughes and Dahlin. Hughes was on the ice for all three goals against. A lot of people (including me) expected defensive struggles to be the norm for Hughes in his rookie season. In fact, it says a lot of good things about Hughes that he was even on the ice against Svechnikov. Hughes actually had more ice-time against that line than any other D.  He has obviously earned Green's confidence as a defensive player, and with good reason. Down the road I expect him to be a premier shutdown D as well as a top offensive D.  Given the amount he has played recently, he must be pretty tired. I expect him to come back strong after a bit of rest.  

6. Great games by EP and Miller again. Every game you can list a bunch of plays where EP does something noteworthy on offense and defence. However, he was partially at fault on the first Carolina goal. He had chance to get the puck in front but Neiderreiter won the battle. Usually Petey really bears down in those situations but he must have been tired at the end of a shift and after racing down the ice to catch up to the play.

7. Boeser played on the first line pretty much the whole game. I think he is still struggling a bit, but moving Virtanen back to the Gaudette line actually helped the Gaudette line, as they were able break even in the Corsi battle and did not give up much. Jake's speed was a key in a few situations. 

8. Credit to Demko. What you want from your backup is to give you a chance to win when he is out there and if he is 50% you can't really complain. Demko has exceeded that standard by a wide margin as he is 10-5-1 in his starts and was good again today. 

9. On the Myers goal it was weird to see Fantenberg and Myers both near the opposing crease at the same time! How often does that happen. But credit to Myers for seeing the opportunity and making the play, which was crucial in getting a point. That shows the difference between Myers and guys like Sbisa and Pouliot and MDZ and Hutton and Biega. They would either not try to make the play (Hutton, Biega) or would try (Sbisa, MDZ, Pouliot) and give up a rush going the other way. I think the third pairing is the right place for Myers, but he can provide offence from that slot, not just be out there to take some time off the clock. 

10. Frankly, i was kind of expecting a loss today, given the circumstances. So I will take today as a "win" and move on. 

Yeah, being a back to back matinee game, I was also expecting a let down today (bound to happen).  Still got a point !