The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(PROPOSALS) NJD-VAN; MTL-VAN

To Vancouver:

RD PK Subban(22% retained = $7 Million AAV) 

To NJ:

C Brandon Sutter

LW Loui Eriksson 

RD Troy Stecher

VAN 2nd 2021 

New Jersey gets:

Out from under that Subban contract while retaining a small amount. More depth at centre to develop Hughes and Hischier. Eriksson could bounce back if not they get a significant amount of financial relief from taking on Eriksson's contract vs. Subban's contract. Troy Stecher still has potential but is still a solid 4/5/6. guy. 

Vancouver gets:

a motivated PK Subban who we finally land after pursuing him for all these years. He's a potential No.1 defender who improves our team drastically for the potential playoff run. Once you're in, if your goalie gets hot you never know how far you can go. Subban would play great next to Edler, Tanev would still with Hughes and Myers would play with Benn/Fantenberg 

To Vancouver:

LW Max Domi

To Montreal:

LW Tanner Pearson

RW Vasili Podkolzin 

VAN 2nd 2020 

Montreal gets:

A highly touted young Russian power forward who would look great on Kotkaniemi's wing in the future. Tanner Pearson replaces some of Domi's offence, he's a little older than Domi and he replaces probably 2/3 of Domi's offense. The question is does Montreal think Pearson can fill in the void that Domi had in the room? Does this move mean Montreal is rebuilding? Are they keeping Claude Julien or Marc Bergevin? Bergevin has underachieved as Montreal's GM and has had many opportunities. Reminds me of Kevin Lowe in Edmonton. Way too much rope. 

EDIT (SORRY FORGOT TO INCLUDE):

Vancouver gets:

A 60-70 point guy to play with Bo Horvat. At long last someone who can play at Horvat's level and make our offence much more balanced. These two trades make us a potential Stanley Cup Contender. What will JB do? 

a big 

Edited by morrissex95
  • Haha 1

With the retention the Devils actually ended up spending about $5m more over the 2 seasons plus they take on roughly an additional $6m cap space per year. That’s a big price to pay for 2 cap dumps , a bottom pairing D with arbitration rights and a 2nd in 2021. 

• Cheers 1

wouldn’t want subban. rather keep louie.

i like domi but will pod become a better version of domi in time. 

we’ld be giving up 7 players for 2. 

other than podkolzin, all the players we give up are players that are old, injury prone, on bad contracts  or mediocre. 

• Cheers 2

If PK is available, then might be a Tanev trade to whomever, then send those assets to NJ, with a little tweaking, to get PK with salary retained by NJ. Tanev wouldn't have to go to NJ. JB has tried to acquire him twice, I still think he'd be a good fit here, take some pressure off QH, very unlikely JB can swing it but who knows. This is why I say the offers for Tanev would have to be real good because it would have to be good enough to make a deal like this possible, otherwise Tanev stays.

9 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

To Vancouver:

To NJ:

C Brandon Sutter

LW Loui Eriksson 

RD Troy Stecher

VAN 2nd 2021 

New Jersey gets:

Out from under that Subban contract while retaining a small amount. More depth at centre to develop Hughes and Hischier. Eriksson could bounce back if not they get a significant amount of financial relief from taking on Eriksson's contract vs. Subban's contract. Troy Stecher still has potential but is still a solid 4/5/6. guy. 

Vancouver gets:

a motivated PK Subban who we finally land after pursuing him for all these years. He's a potential No.1 defender who improves our team drastically for the potential playoff run. Once you're in, if your goalie gets hot you never know how far you can go. Subban would play great next to Edler, Tanev would still with Hughes and Myers would play with Benn/Fantenberg 

To Vancouver:

LW Max Domi

To Montreal:

LW Tanner Pearson

RW Vasili Podkolzin 

VAN 2nd 2020 

Montreal gets:

A highly touted young Russian power forward who would look great on Kotkaniemi's wing in the future. Tanner Pearson replaces some of Domi's offence, he's a little older than Domi and he replaces probably 2/3 of Domi's offense. The question is does Montreal think Pearson can fill in the void that Domi had in the room? Does this move mean Montreal is rebuilding? Are they keeping Claude Julien or Marc Bergevin? Bergevin has underachieved as Montreal's GM and has had many opportunities. Reminds me of Kevin Lowe in Edmonton. Way too much rope. 

Vancouver gets:

A 60-70 point guy to play with Bo Horvat. At long last someone who can play at Horvat's level and make our offence much more balanced. These two trades make us a potential Stanley Cup Contender. What will JB do? 

a big 

No thanks to the Domi trade.  I don't consider him a 60-70 pts guy when he only reached that milestone once in his career.  And he's about to turn 25 and be an RFA who's going to ask for a 60-70 pts guy salary (north of 6M$ IMO).  Can't see Benning signing him above Bo and Brock.

I've always like Subban (even though he's overpaid), especially with retention , but now that he's 30 and keep declining, i'm not sure anymore if he's worth it.  Not sure he can find another gear and get a few good year with the right environnment?

No team is going to take on Loui's contract until this summer after his bonus payout unless they are sending a truckload of garbage back, I'd rather just keep him until then.

Mutual termination is probably a more realistic option at that point anyway , either way he's done here with no albatross contract coming back.

How's that for a trade proposal? :-)

• Cheers 2

Subban would not be good for team chemistry.   Also, he's not good enough anymore for the long term cap risk.

Pearson is a legit 2nd line LW.  Great attitude and chemistry with Bo.  Podkolzin is a beast and was ranked 3rd overall most of last season.  Slipped due to being Russian and under contract for 2 years.  Podkolzin and Hoglander are the reason JB was ok trading a 1st for Miller.

Domi a very good player but for me he is a mediocre 1st line player and a very good 2nd liner.

I think that is a huge overpayment.  I think Pearson and a 2nd is as far as I would go.

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

Subban would not be good for team chemistry.   Also, he's not good enough anymore for the long term cap risk.

Pearson is a legit 2nd line LW.  Great attitude and chemistry with Bo.  Podkolzin is a beast and was ranked 3rd overall most of last season.  Slipped due to being Russian and under contract for 2 years.  Podkolzin and Hoglander are the reason JB was ok trading a 1st for Miller.

Domi a very good player but for me he is a mediocre 1st line player and a very good 2nd liner.

I think that is a huge overpayment.  I think Pearson and a 2nd is as far as I would go.

Pearson  and a 2nd doesn’t remotely get it done 

10 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

To Vancouver:

To NJ:

C Brandon Sutter

LW Loui Eriksson 

RD Troy Stecher

VAN 2nd 2021 

New Jersey gets:

Vancouver gets:

To Vancouver:

LW Max Domi

To Montreal:

LW Tanner Pearson

RW Vasili Podkolzin 

VAN 2nd 2020 

Montreal gets:

Vancouver gets:

a big 

Big No to Subban 31 years old soon with personality that might not fit in with great chemistry in Vancouver dressing room now..

Trading 2nd rounder and other prospect for short term is wrong direction.. We need to keep on track and be patient and not make silly trades for short term additions and no older players..

Would rather target younger D man like Dumba 25 year old would be #1 type D man....This type of deal makes us so scary with D man like Dumba..

Absolute no to Punk Kid.  He's a known 'me first' player who takes selfish, badly timed penalties and who has a contract which, with declining production, makes him grossly overpaid. 

As for Domi, he's one of their 'core' players.  If you're interested in him you'd better be ok with giving up BoHo who is likely the guy they ask for in return. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am not saying it would.  I am saying that is all I would want to give up. I think Domi is better but not by as much as others think.  Pearson also has Stanley Cup experience.

So essentially you’re not willing to offer what it would take to get Domi.  That’s cool. Pearson has been great on Horvat’s  wing 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Upvote 1

No to both. Lets run with what we have and see if we get into the dance.

Next year we can tool around. Lets keep status quo for now. We are not expected to compete for the cup. Next 3 years after we should move into contender status.

10 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Why does everyone think Subban is a bad guy? He made his phone number accessible to fans and actually responded to my texts 

Yeah. He strikes me as a genuinely good guy. He just had a big personality, which apparently is frowned upon in the nhl 

• Upvote 1