The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Let's see if JB ends up picking up Simmonds this weekend now.

It looks like NJ has the cap room but I doubt they take Loui unless that prospect was going to be in our top 10. Who knows...

They get Madden if they take Eriksson.

People won’t like it, but it is pretty fair.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ronning4center said:

I like the idea.  Id honestly do pearson one to one if i could.  Rather have simmonds grit for the playoffs and free up pearsons cash next season.  Lord knows we'll need the space next year.

Doubt we'll be resigning him anyway.

That’s one the wackiest things I’ve seen lol Probably miss the playoffs with that trade lol

I feel like there’s a chance of disappointment if this guys acquired. A lot of stuff about Simmons grit and that sort of thing. The players we’ve acquired the past couple seasons have supposedly had that to their game. I personally think they do but others don’t see that from what I’ve read. I think you won’t be getting what you think your getting if Simmonds is acquired. Way past his prime now and I’d honestly rather see Leivo come back as our TDL acquisition 

Edited by Devron44
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I feel like there’s a chance of disappointment if this guys acquired. A lot of stuff about Simmons grit and that sort of thing. The players we’ve acquired the past couple seasons have supposedly had that to their game. I personally think they do but others don’t see that from what I’ve read. I think you won’t be getting what you think your getting if Simmonds is acquired. Way past his prime now and I’d honestly rather see Leivo come back as our TDL acquisition 

I think he has a huge chance to disappoint.  However, I do think it's worth the risk if we can scoop him for let's say a third and Jonas gadjovic. 

Leivo will be a welcomed addition when he returns from IR but he doesn't provide what we need right not. Just more of the same. Simmonds, while average or small sized, provides the grit and pushback that we lack.

• Cheers 1

Wonder if they would take Roussel.  If they are not on Roussel's NT list.  His contract looks pretty good for them and honestly at least Simmonds will stand up for his teammates.  I don't dislike Roussel.  But for a $3 Million cap hit I'm not sure the value is there with Roussel in my opinion.  Would free up some $$$ and a spot next year as well.  NJ can retain the difference it may cost a low pick.  I wouldn't offer a prospect of any value.  

Roussel's Contract:

image.thumb.png.eef34296d812a6a018884d52f4302567.png

Edited by Borvat
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

Wonder if they would take Roussel.  If they are not on Roussel's NT list.  His contract looks pretty good for them and honestly at least Simmonds will stand up for his teammates.  I don't dislike Roussel.  But for a $3 Million cap hit I'm not sure the value is there with Roussel in my opinion.  Would free up some $$$ and a spot next year as well.

Roussel's Contract:

Sadly I think Rooster joins the (longer than we can manage cap wise) list of JB signings that are crippling our cap.  To dump him will cost a very good future asset as sweetener 

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I think he has a huge chance to disappoint.  However, I do think it's worth the risk if we can scoop him for let's say a third and Jonas gadjovic. 

Leivo will be a welcomed addition when he returns from IR but he doesn't provide what we need right not. Just more of the same. Simmonds, while average or small sized, provides the grit and pushback that we lack.

For sure I think he could help. How much I’m not certain. I just think we keep our assets another year at least. I don’t expect a big run in the playoffs although you never know and I’ll be cheering for one obviously. 

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

For sure. 

People focus way too much on size, there's plenty of useless big guys or soft big guys. Is Meyers mean? Is Lucic useful? (Try saying that with a straight face)

Raffi Torres wasnt that big of a guy for example and he was adored here. Toughness and pushback is an attitude, it's not about size.

Simmonds would fit in well here, hes just passed his best before date but hopefully he still has something left if we pick him up.

Edited by 10pavelbure96

12 hours ago, Provost said:

They get Madden if they take Eriksson.

People won’t like it, but it is pretty fair.

I'd take that deal!!!

Madden looks great but at this point, still a rookie.  Don't really know if he can translate that to the NHL.  We get cap relief with LE off the books.  And if Simmonds doesn't work out, then in his contract is also off the books.

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

I'd take that deal!!!

Madden looks great but at this point, still a rookie.  Don't really know if he can translate that to the NHL.  We get cap relief with LE off the books.  And if Simmonds doesn't work out, then in his contract is also off the books.

I’d rather keep Gaudette than Madden who is 5’11” 150lbs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Borvat said:

Wonder if they would take Roussel.  If they are not on Roussel's NT list.  His contract looks pretty good for them and honestly at least Simmonds will stand up for his teammates.  I don't dislike Roussel.  But for a $3 Million cap hit I'm not sure the value is there with Roussel in my opinion.  Would free up some $$$ and a spot next year as well.  NJ can retain the difference it may cost a low pick.  I wouldn't offer a prospect of any value.  

Roussel's Contract:

Dude. I’ll take Roussel over Simmonds any day of the week.

Roussel’s $3.000MIL is very fair for what he brings. Roussel is the least of the Canucks’ worries. What he does for this salary, no one does on the team.

You don’t just trade to say you’ve traded. It has to make sense. Trading Roussel doesn’t make sense, especially since he looks to be an integral part of the grinding that could push this team over the edge in the playoffs.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I’d rather keep Gaudette than Madden who is 5’11” 150lbs.

Madden is worth way more than a rental like Simmonds.  I’d trade Madden for a guy who has term though, like Risto.  Clearly the Sabres need good prospects.  Their recent picks, like I can’t do even one pull-up Middlestadt, are craperolla

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BPA said:

I'd take that deal!!!

I would too.

Madden isn’t even a rookie yet, he is a prospect.  A prospect that would defy the odds by actually playing a meaningful role in the league at 150lbs.

The value of $18 million in cap space over the next three seasons could be put to more good than that.

Maybe Madden turns out to be a 2nd line centre... but also maybe he doesn’t and maybe we turn that $18 million in cap space into retaining an important player or even filling a hole to make us better.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

While im not against going for simmonds, I think back zack deserves a long look with the club. Same with Bailey, if anything they are basically showing why you should not be paying big money to the bottom six.

This team isn’t the same without Beagle. Is that big money?

Same with Roussel.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Madden is worth way more than a rental like Simmonds.  I’d trade Madden for a guy who has term though, like Risto.  Clearly the Sabres need good prospects.  Their recent picks, like I can’t do even one pull-up Middlestadt, are craperolla

Except that isn’t the deal he was quoting.

It was unloading Eriksson’s contract and Madden for Simmonds.

• Like 1