The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

On 2/10/2020 at 5:49 AM, Ryan Strome said:

This is how ridiculous this is. LNG will greatly reduce global emissions yet people are blocking it. More evidence of how uneducated some are. 

People just want something to bitch about. These are the same people that get in their 89 Toyota tercel with no exhaust and spewing oil all over the place. People don’t understand that nearly every plastic has come from a bitumen source. Tired of these granola eaters trying to &^@# up the daily lives of regular folk. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2/10/2020 at 5:49 AM, Ryan Strome said:

This is how ridiculous this is. LNG will greatly reduce global emissions yet people are blocking it. More evidence of how uneducated some are. 

it doesn't matter. People on the far left are just using the concept of hereditary chiefs to further their 'no to everything' agenda when it comes to anything related to oil and gas. None of them care a whiff about actual on reserve changes or new economic opportunities. Its pretty sick actually. 

Unfortunately I think this so-called protest is a sign that the US-style far left has finally arrived up here. By any objective measure the whole thing is at best ridiculous and in reality is probably going to harm peoples lives. But that doesn't matter to some people, its all about the symbolism and yelling at people. 

I don't think you're going to get your wish tho and see a big enough left split, Jagmeet just isn't the guy to get that done and the Greens are joke with no leadership. 

• Cheers 1

I'm curious about something and maybe someone here with a deeper understanding of the law can help:

Scheer, et al, are criticizing Trudeau for not ordering the RCMP to arrest protesters, while Trudeau is saying that it isn't his place to tell the RCMP what to do.

Is JT being literal here, or does the PM have the power to tell the police what to do? What if the protesters set up blockades in Ontario? Does he have authority over the OPP as well?

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm curious about something and maybe someone here with a deeper understanding of the law can help:

Scheer, et al, are criticizing Trudeau for not ordering the RCMP to arrest protesters, while Trudeau is saying that it isn't his place to tell the RCMP what to do.

Is JT being literal here, or does the PM have the power to tell the police what to do? What if the protesters set up blockades in Ontario? Does he have authority over the OPP as well?

I think for Trudeau to "send in the army" he'd have to do what papa did and invoke the war measures act. Not a good look. The RCMP can be compelled to act if the court issues an injunction and/or protesters are openly breaking the law.

So Horgan e.g., got Plecas to get an injunction so that police could remove protesters next week if they block access to the legislature for the budget vote. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think for Trudeau to "send in the army" he'd have to do what papa did and invoke the war measures act. Not a good look. The RCMP can be compelled to act if the court issues an injunction and/or protesters are openly breaking the law.

So Horgan e.g., got Plecas to get an injunction so that police could remove protesters next week if they block access to the legislature for the budget vote. 

Pretty much what I thought. So many seem to be laying the blame directly at JT's feet, so I thought maybe I was missing something.....

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Pretty much what I thought. So many seem to be laying the blame directly at JT's feet, so I thought maybe I was missing something.....

nah. Even Harper didn't do anything like that back in 2012 or 13 when a rail line was shut down for over a week. 

Scheer just being wrong again. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Some dude was on the radio saying that the liquefaction process for LNG creates lots of harmful emissions. I think he was saying this process, combined with fracking , that the green benefits are not what they are hyped up to be...

LNG is super dirty.  I have a friend in the industry.... he told me what he sees through fracking gives him nightmares....

giphy.gif

37 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

You don’t like it shut of your gas. 

AD4D205B-42A3-4D4E-87AE-EF37233DD446.jpeg

I know you're being facetious here, but no-one should ever attempt to do this themselves....

I had an incident on a job site several years ago that left me with a healthy appreciation for the dangers of messing with natural gas.

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

Your friend supports climate change.. disgusting !

Coastal GasLink protesters have blocked a railway crossing on Renfrew Street, between Grandview Highway and Hebb Street, in East Vancouver.

It’s the latest in a series of demonstrations taking place across Canada in support of the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs’ fight to stop construction of the pipeline across their traditional territory near Houston, B.C.

Today’s action was organized by a group calling itself Urban Indigenous Sovereigntists, who have set up on the train tracks next to Renfrew station, blocking both vehicle traffic and rail service.

The tracks are used by the Amtrak Cascades passenger train that runs between Vancouver and Portland.

The protest has caused Amtrak to return a Vancouver-bound train to Bellingham, Wash. where passengers will be put on buses to Vancouver.

https://theprovince.com/news/local-news/more-coastal-gaslink-pipeline-protests-expected-saturday-in-vancouver/wcm/b2f6edcb-8d47-4c59-b6c0-734ce7b1d5d1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Some dude was on the radio saying that the liquefaction process for LNG creates lots of harmful emissions. I think he was saying this process, combined with fracking , that the green benefits are not what they are hyped up to be...

Depending the actual process I don’t think that’s true. They mostly use electricity

edit...some of the pretreatment uses heaters that use lng

Edited by wiseupsucker

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I know you're being facetious here, but no-one should ever attempt to do this themselves....

I had an incident on a job site several years ago that left me with a healthy appreciation for the dangers of messing with natural gas.

I make a living off of it. I dig up natural gas lines everyday and I am as qualified as can be but it’s always on the back of your mind how quickly it can go from zero to a hundred. When used safely it is safer than electricity. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Coastal GasLink protesters have blocked a railway crossing on Renfrew Street, between Grandview Highway and Hebb Street, in East Vancouver.

It’s the latest in a series of demonstrations taking place across Canada in support of the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs’ fight to stop construction of the pipeline across their traditional territory near Houston, B.C.

Today’s action was organized by a group calling itself Urban Indigenous Sovereigntists, who have set up on the train tracks next to Renfrew station, blocking both vehicle traffic and rail service.

The tracks are used by the Amtrak Cascades passenger train that runs between Vancouver and Portland.

The protest has caused Amtrak to return a Vancouver-bound train to Bellingham, Wash. where passengers will be put on buses to Vancouver.

https://theprovince.com/news/local-news/more-coastal-gaslink-pipeline-protests-expected-saturday-in-vancouver/wcm/b2f6edcb-8d47-4c59-b6c0-734ce7b1d5d1

Is your friend protesting? This organizer soundS like an economic terrorist.. ah but its for the right cause

“That’s not our main target (passenger trains), but we do recognize that some of the tracks are shared. And so it’s an outcome of the action for sure. But the main target is economic disruption,” said Knight.

• Cheers 2

On 2/11/2020 at 3:44 PM, Warhippy said:

The title holders have agreed on payment.  They are not asking for more

The band members have effectively agreed on things.  They are not asking for more

The hereditary chiefs and outlying members have issue, protestors have issue.  it is not the title holders who are holding things up therefore no, it is not about money.

If it was about money, the title holder of the land the route is slated to go through would be on the horn making it about money, instead they're on record saying just get it built I'm ok with it.

Hereditary chiefs are currently the issue, protestors are the issue.  Period.

I think you might be wrong on "Title Holders"

I have struggled to understand this, but this is how I think it works

The Band councils are like cities 

and the Heretitary Chiefs are like Crown Land  (thats funny )

If Vancouver and Squamish want to run a pipe from Vancouver to Squamish but it needs to run through Crown Land they then need approval from the Crown

So

if the Bands have given consent but the people with authority for the land in between (Chiefs) have not, this is the issue that ensues.

What would BC or Canada say to Vancouver and Squamish if they said "We have decided to run a pipe through (y)our Crown Land"?