The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roussell Fined

Rate this topic

Squamfan

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well this is pathetic. Message to Canucks: we won't protect you and you can't retaliate. 

Pretty much. The latest string of events seems to point to there being collusion between the officials and the DoPS. Certain teams get to play however they see fit, and others are stymied by ridiculously inconsistent morons.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

probably won't be a popular opinion but...

I think the team might need to move Roussel.

I don't dislike the player, but not sure how vital, or effective he is.

I think they could use more toughness and less agitator.  Trade Roussel - free up his cap for the future - add a rental for this run (Simmonds, Thompson, etc).

As good as Roussel's motor may be - he's not the fastest, not the heaviest, not the hardest guy to play against.

And here's the thing - if you're going to take a fine, perhaps pick your spot better.

Boston - EP gets run. 

Calgary - slashes, cheap shots, clutch and grab all night....

Instead - take a fine on a slash in a lopsided victory on a relatively inconsequential opponent (sorry Yannick but I'd use my freebies on someone else).

If you're not agitating, annoying the opponent's best players - ie Pastrnak, Gaudreau, etc - particulary when your own best players are being hunted....I'm not sure you're doing your job.  And on that note - damn do I miss DDorsett.

Moreover, the league has a hard-on for penalizing Roussel - probably the last thing this team needs in terms of giving them opportunities to shaft us - and in terms of 'reputation'.

I'd rather move on - to guys that command respect - and play a heavier game.  Not taking anything away from him - he was very good last year, he's a good two way hockey player (admittedly drives me nuts sometimes with his puck movement in his own zone) but regardless - if I were GM I'd be shopping him right now.

To Columbus

Roussel

To Van

pick

Flip that - or a lesser - pick in a deal for Thompson, Simmonds....toughness that can play.

Gain 3 million in cap hit over the next couple seasons....he's moveable cap, probably gains a return, particularly at this time of year.

They have ZacMac, Bailey..... Lind - guys in Utica - and can add depth if necessary.  I'm in favour of spending to have centers  like Beagle, Sutter in the mix, but bottom six winger cap is where I'd trim. 

I do think you're on to something here, especially with Roussel's choices. He was all but invisible in Boston and Calgary, from a pushback perspective, and then (as you say) goes after the mighty Yannick Weber at the tail end of a game that was all but in the bag. Nonsensical at best.

As well, his comments in a recent Province article couldn't have been more timely, considering what transpired shortly thereafter.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

probably won't be a popular opinion but...

I think the team might need to move Roussel.

I don't dislike the player, but not sure how vital, or effective he is.

I think they could use more toughness and less agitator.  Trade Roussel - free up his cap for the future - add a rental for this run (Simmonds, Thompson, etc).

As good as Roussel's motor may be - he's not the fastest, not the heaviest, not the hardest guy to play against.

And here's the thing - if you're going to take a fine, perhaps pick your spot better.

Boston - EP gets run. 

Calgary - slashes, cheap shots, clutch and grab all night....

Instead - take a fine on a slash in a lopsided victory on a relatively inconsequential opponent (sorry Yannick but I'd use my freebies on someone else).

If you're not agitating, annoying the opponent's best players - ie Pastrnak, Gaudreau, etc - particulary when your own best players are being hunted....I'm not sure you're doing your job.  And on that note - damn do I miss DDorsett.

Moreover, the league has a hard-on for penalizing Roussel - probably the last thing this team needs in terms of giving them opportunities to shaft us - and in terms of 'reputation'.

I'd rather move on - to guys that command respect - and play a heavier game.  Not taking anything away from him - he was very good last year, he's a good two way hockey player (admittedly drives me nuts sometimes with his puck movement in his own zone) but regardless - if I were GM I'd be shopping him right now.

To Columbus

Roussel

To Van

pick

Flip that - or a lesser - pick in a deal for Thompson, Simmonds....toughness that can play.

Gain 3 million in cap hit over the next couple seasons....he's moveable cap, probably gains a return, particularly at this time of year.

They have ZacMac, Bailey..... Lind - guys in Utica - and can add depth if necessary.  I'm in favour of spending to have centers  like Beagle, Sutter in the mix, but bottom six winger cap is where I'd trim. 

I love me some (healthy form anyway) Rooster but it's hard to argue the general thought process here.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pretty much. The latest string of events seems to point to there being collusion between the officials and the DoPS. Certain teams get to play however they see fit, and others are stymied by ridiculously inconsistent morons.

Weber crosschecked Rous first, so a fine is repugnant. I mean, Rous did crosscheck him back, then a slash then a punch to the head, but still :lol:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

where the golyheckdarn is the tinfoil hat emoje?

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I do think you're on to something here, especially with Roussel's choices. He was all but invisible in Boston and Calgary, from a pushback perspective, and then (as you say) goes after the mighty Yannick Weber at the tail end of a game that was all but in the bag. Nonsensical at best.

As well, his comments in a recent Province article couldn't have been more timely, considering what transpired shortly thereafter.

what'd he say?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Weber crosschecked Rous first, so a fine is repugnant. I mean, Rous did crosscheck him back, then a slash then a punch to the head, but still :lol:

Weber is a little biatch. :lol:

At some point, Benning and Green must be punching holes in walls with the inconsistent and seemingly targeted "discipline" that these hacks in the DoPS and the officials are meting out. There seems to be a bias at play here.

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

To Columbus

Roussel

To Van

pick

with Jones being out for a while maybe this is the time to package Stecher out with Roussel? CBJ is still in the hunt and could use both d help and if Rous is a "torts type" player maybe we can get a good prospect back our way instead, along the lines of a Motte type deal. 

3 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

that is the weakest "fine worthy offense" ever

DopEs is a joke

Canuck management should call out Dopes for that one

stupid , but not fine worthy

Can't Gassy Jack make a montage of all the time Parros did worse without getting a wrist slap?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

with Jones being out for a while maybe this is the time to package Stecher out with Roussel? CBJ is still in the hunt and could use both d help and if Rous is a "torts type" player maybe we can get a good prospect back our way instead, along the lines of a Motte type deal. 

Who slots in for Stecher? I'll take Brenden Dillon for $500, Alex.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Or consistent?  Same zebra (Trevor Hanson) flown in for the Calgary game that blind-monkeyed the cheap shot in Boston.

Same old song and dance.

This is why I wasn't particularly on-board with the Roussel signing.

1) you have a young team - you don't need to be 'agitating' unnecessarily - the consequences don't necessarily serve you, unless and until you've built a tougher, more veteran team.

2) the league, the DOPeS, period, enough said.

3) if we're not going to keep guys like Gudbranson around, then I don't see the viability or value in 'pests' tbh.

Roussel is a player, imo, that you add to a team that is ready / contending....that doesn't have a handful of rookie weaknesses - that benefits from escalating/agitating - and is ready to back it up.  He's not a Dorsett type that does less talking, agitating, and is simply more in your face, and always prepared to entertain the consequences, regardless of who is standing in front of him.  For me, Dorsett is/was very valuable in this context - Roussel, I'm not so sure.   And further, if he's not forming a partnership with Sutter (at center) on a matchup/shutdown line to frustrate opponents, I think he becomes even less of a fit.

In fairness to Roussel - he hasn't really been that player here - he's toned the 'pest' part of his game down considerably and focused more on between the whistles effectiveness - he's been relatively effective - and I think that was generally Green et al's blueprint for him. 

But things evelve, team needs change and I think it makes sense to move him at this point.

And to be clear - I'd feel bad about it - I'm not looking to scapegoat or blame Roussel for anything - it would simply be a 'business' move.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who slots in for Stecher? I'll take Brenden Dillon for $500, Alex.

in the immediate term, Benn or Rafferty with Breezy on the left side. But thats like a 1 or 2 game solution. After that you'd need to go looking for someone like Dillon, which would be very possible with all that newfound cap space. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jones and Murray - two top 4 D out - and Kukan.

And a rash of forwards = Anderson, Atkinson, Dubinsky, Wennberg, Texier...

We're seeing just how asset-rich that franchise has made itself. 

Will definitely be some busy phone lines in Columbus.  Get out ahead of it imo.

Edited by oldnews

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Jones and Murray - two top 4 D out - and Kukan.

And a rash of forwards = Anderson, Atkinson, Dubinsky, Wennberg, Texier...

Will definitely be some busy phone lines in Columbus.  Get out ahead of it imo.

it has trade fit written all over it... I guess the unknown here is what teams are on Rous' no trade list, which is 8 teams for this season. 

I'm not desperate to shed ourselves of Rous, but I see the sense in it.