The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 16, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, 6string said:

No, those two teams steamrolled throught their divisions. This year you have four teams battling for three spots with the division title up for grabs. 

Way different scenario! Finish strong and have momentum on your side rather than lollygagging for the first round to start.

Yes, those teams finished first and did not make it to the second round, besides there is still a quarter of a season left, the Oilers are only 1 point up on us with 23 games remaining, not worried 

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, the veterans brought in by JB to lead.  I think the group is actually good; it’s the systems and passive philosophy of the coach that are the issue.  We seriously need a coaching change.  It’s not going to happen, but it should.  

I feel like greene sounds very passive in his reviews of his players after brutal losses.  It was a great philosophy early on , but it reallt doesnt seem to be working anymore. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Why you here then? Better question why are you still here? Look man I get you just want to be positive and be

that beacon of shining light that never doubts the team but other people just want to vent a bit and get some things

off their chest. But its all good you do you.

Didn't know You could only be here to vent. But you do you. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, bree2 said:

because we lost a game?

We would be .500 AT BEST without Markstrom. Look put away the pom poms for a minute and exercise a little critical thought. We would get destroyed in the playoffs you giant homer.

Edited by Shirotashi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

I feel like greene sounds very passive in his reviews of his players after brutal losses.  It was a great philosophy early on , but it reallt doesnt seem to be working anymore. 

As the season comes to a close the games become harder to play.  Green’s systems don’t work because they’re passive by design.  His philosophy just doesn’t work as the games compete ramps up.  

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Didn't know You could only be here to vent. But you do you. 

I actually specifically said "people" come here to vent, where did you get the idea i only meant me? Im on you because your here to bust people for being sassy after a loss like a fly to hot sh yt.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shirotashi said:

We would be .500 AT BEST without Markstrom. Look put away the pom poms for a minute and exercise a little critical thought. We would get destroyed in the playoffs you giant homer.

Indeed. This isn't an emotional reaction after one loss. Allot of us saw this coming after all the blowout losses, and the amount of games Markstrom has to steal, and the frequency of uninspired efforts . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Good thing Markstrom is part of the team, any team that goes deep into the playoffs do so because of the goalie standing on his head

2 minutes ago, mikkim said:

Good thing Markstrom is part of the team, any team that goes deep into the playoffs do so because of the goalie standing on his head

Not many win a cup with consistent pathetic effort beyond goaltending.  Playoffs,  more often then not ,expose teams that play like this.  It is a completely different level of play. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

17 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Canucks haven't had a very strong run since the all-star break. 

Lots of defensive lapses in their game, getting out shot consistently, and laying an egg here after probably an emotionally high week for them.

Need to be better, at this point, efforts like today is not acceptable when every point matters.

16 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

Think this blueline or the defensive system needs a bit of a rework.

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Boys got bullied big time.... They need to find a way to stand up to big teams like Ducks, or Play off (if they should get in) will be very short lived... 

Some quick post-game comments:

1. Usually the team with the better goalie wins. That happened today.  Demko has been good this year and he made some good saves today but, overall, he did not have a good game. We have been spoiled by Markey keeping the team in the game even when outplayed early. That did not happen today. 

2. I am not sure about the defensive system. The Canucks play a system that, in theory, allows the opposing to take a lot of shots from the outside but keeps down the high danger chances. According to Natural Stat Trick, the Canucks had more high danger scoring chances today (14 to 11) and were ahead 13-7 at even strength. Still, I would prefer the Canucks to be more aggressive in taking away time and space in their own zone.  

3. Based on the high danger chances, the Canucks deserved better today. Not saying it was a great game, but it was not as bad as the score suggests. And I think Nazzy is right in suggesting that the emotional strain of the week probably took a toll. 

4. I agree with Spook (aka James Bond) that size and toughness is an issue. It has been discussed a lot lately, especially with Ferland probably out for the season. I certainly want to see Bailey back in for Schaller. Between Bailey and Big Mac we might be okay.

5. As for individuals, the Gaudette line (with Sutter and Roussel) gave up all three even strength goals against and were -3. Gaudette was playing hard, but that line has been giving up too much and Roussel has never regained the game he had last year. If Leivo gets healthy again I could see him with Gaudette and Sutter. Horvat had over 21 minutes today., mostly with Pearson, and with either Big Mac or Eriksson on the other wing. Both those combinations were pretty good. And Beagle had a good game. Virtanen had a poor game in my view. I would like to get Boeser back with EP. Hope he is ok soon. 

6. On defence, obviously Stecher had a bad game. He was indirectly responsible for two goals against and had the worst Corsi numbers on the team. And he just did not look good. I like Stecher, but his position on the team might be vulnerable with Rafferty waiting for a chance.  Hughes had an excellent game. He led the team in ice-time by a big margin and had the best Corsi numbers on the team (and made a nice pass on EP's goal, getting the puck in just the right spot for the one-timer).

7. Bottom line: It was a disappointing loss against a poor team, but the Canucks were not really as bad as the score. The key is to come back strong in the next game. If the Canucks lose against Minny on Wednesday, I really will begin to worry. But, with some downtime for a couple of days and Marky back in the net, I expect a better outcome.  

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, mikkim said:

No they don’t,  it’s great to have Marky.  But elite teams, who are coached to play the right way, do not rely on their goalie to steal every game they win.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team has the skill and speed to make the playoffs, no doubt. I question their ability to be able to go to war though. The playoffs are the most gruelling in professional sports, and if they’re thinking that the officiating is crap now? Well.....

Does Green allow his players to go to war?  I don’t think that’s his philosophy.  

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Not many win a cup with consistent pathetic effort beyond goaltending.  Playoffs,  more often then not ,expose teams that play like this.  It is a completely different level of play. 

Very true, just trying to point out that Marky is just one part of the team, probably could have worded it better, what we need is a better effort from our bigger players if we want to do any damage in the post season.

10 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

I actually specifically said "people" come here to vent, where did you get the idea i only meant me? Im on you because your here to bust people for being sassy after a loss like a fly to hot sh yt.

:bored: I question posts I consider worth further questioning or calling out, has literally nothing to do with virtue signalling. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, mikkim said:

Very true, just trying to point out that Marky is just one part of the team, probably could have worded it better, what we need is a better effort from our bigger players if we want to do any damage in the post season.

If we play like we have since the other teams have ramped up their compete, we will not make the playoffs.  

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We got killed JM.  

i only caught bits of it on the radio today. Ah well, California and refs and all that good $&!#. Lets let EDM take 1st so they can meet Calgary in the 1st round and murder each other. We can then crush the remains of who's left over in the 2nd round. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No they don’t,  it’s great to have Marky.  But elite teams, who are coached to play the right way, do not rely on their goalie to steal every game they win.  

ya, like I said to cuporbust I probably didn't word that right, having said that, you do need your goalie to steal you a game or two in the playoffs, I can't think of the last team to win the cup that didn't have incredible goaltending 

• Like 1