The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think to start off Toffoli should be on our top line while Boeser's out, then in the last 10 games move him alongside Pearson and Bo for the ultimate playoff line.

JB is building a team full of Miller/Pearson/Bo/Toffoli-type players and for good reason, they're the ones who get it done in the playoffs. You need big bodies but not just Kassians, big guys with skill who can score and hit. Out top-6 is going to be 4/6 these kinds of players and the only other way you get into our top-6 is wity elite Pettersson-level skill.

This recipe has worked time and time again for Cup winners, JB sees that and is copying it.

He's setting up this team to win now and in the future. The Bruins are a good example of a team who, since 2011 even, have never really tanked but constantly replaced older guys with young guys entering their prime, rebuilt on the fly and always stayed on the top of the league. That's what these Miller/Pearson/Toffoli trades do - bring in young guys with a good 3-5 years still while having kids come up through the ranks challenging. When the kids (eg. Virtanen, Gaudette) get good enough they can bump the big guys down to the 3rd line. In the meanwhile we keep rolling a solid top-6, a challenging 3rd line and keep winning.

Seems gutsy by JB to trade a bit of youth and not have an early pick in this draft, but you have to pick your battles and spend when it seems worthwhile, and Miller and Toffoli are worth it.

We can just hope Toffoli sticks, resigns and gets protected in the ED because he'd be a nice staple either with Pettersson or Bo for the next 3 years at least.

If they could go full time with the Flying Skate jerseys. 

Oh my.

Black is known to help teams win Cups.

I would like to thank Schalotov's time here. Had the tough duties of playing the under the radar defensive game. Took some of the tough minutes to allow the youth to grow just that much more. Hope he does well enough in LA to earn another contract in the league.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Doesn't sound like Leivo will be back from injury before the TDL. No one is trading anything for him because we can't move him. He will likely walk as a UFA, no big deal.

Yeah, I was questioning it cause he suggested we trade him but also said he'd make a good part of the 3rd line. Which implied we may keep him this year but trade him in the summer maybe.

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

TDL hasn't passed yet. But where would we fit in Edler/Tanev "potential replacements" in our lineup? We have Fantenberg as a depth option. Then we have the youth movement of Brisebois, Rafferty and Juolevi if need be. Hopefully an addition of Tryamkin bolsters the defense again and would be a "free" acquisition.

Only potential dman I see us going after is maybe Dillon, but what do we do with Benn/Fantenberg?

Fantenberg is injured. 
we need depth on the back end. 
I think having guys like Benn having to battle fur ice time is a good thing. We need another D man and I think Jim feels the same. 

Just now, Devron44 said:

Right because we are mortgaging the future :frantic:

Yeah at some point we need to develop our own prospects, if we add too many prospects, it'll water down the development time. Asset management includes taking care of our own.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, naslundfan921 said:

Based on his numbers (currently though subject to change should he light it up or falter with us these last 20ish games) I don't anticipate him getting much of a raise (if at all) on the open market. A comparable from last year's free agency is Nyquist. Nyquist got 5.5 per for 4 years. Toffoli has slightly lesser numbers and despite bouncing back this year, isn't as consistent statistically as Nyquist so I anticipate a smaller deal for Toffolli than what was given to Nyquist. 

Thus I don't think the contract or term will be much of an issue for those concerned. It'll be interesting to see what else Benning has planned for the deadline and how these acquisitions fare during this stretch drive.

It's a good fit 4 him u would think. Still close(ish)  to LA and his wife,  and will be given the opportunity to play a big role in a world class organization.  Sure hope he plays well and sees it the same way. 

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I would like to thank Schalotov's time here. Had the tough duties of playing the under the radar defensive game. Took some of the tough minutes to allow the youth to grow just that much more. Hope he does well enough in LA to earn another contract in the league.

Definitely. 
Thanks Shalatov!

good luck. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

Fantenberg is injured. 
we need depth on the back end. 
I think having guys like Benn having to battle fur ice time is a good thing. We need another D man and I think Jim feels the same. 

How long is Fantenberg out for? If it isn't long term, then giving some of our youth pressbox time until he returns is fine especially if the possibility of Tryamkin returning is high. I'd add Dillon for a 4th or low level prospect, but that's about it.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Games will be intensify, when games get closer to the playoffs. Can’t see Green play a rookie over a veteran, unless Gaudette goes on a complete tear. 

Losing Sutter or even Eriksson will be a huge loss on the penalty kill. Say what you want about Schaller, but he was a key part on our penalty kill (second amongst forwards in total SH minutes). Highly unlikely Sutter gets traded now that Schaller is gone. 

It's about time Gaud or Virtanen get some pk time.

• Upvote 1

You've got to think that if the Canucks miss the playoffs now, Green's job is in jeopardy. Maybe not in the offseason, but if they start slow the first 20 games next year I think he's gone. Boudreau would play this team very interestingly...

Gutsy move by JB but you have to respect that he's doing everything in his power to get this team to win. Haven't had a GM like him in a while, probably since Burkie.

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah, I was questioning it cause he suggested we trade him but also said he'd make a good part of the 3rd line. Which implied we may keep him this year but trade him in the summer maybe.

UFA this summer, no one will trade for his rights either. He's simply untradable and I can't see a spot for him next year. Hopefully he has a decent playoff run with us to earn a contract with another team for next season which only benefits us this year if he plays well.

Just now, theo5789 said:

UFA this summer, no one will trade for his rights either. He's simply untradable and I can't see a spot for him next year. Hopefully he has a decent playoff run with us to earn a contract with another team for next season which only benefits us this year if he plays well.

This is my point, are you high?