The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Monkey Business of All-Time - #39A

Rate this topic

Kevin Biestra

Top Monkey Business Canuck of All Time?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's overrated... then there's Rory
(7 points in 58 games, but voted 3rd in the Western Conference among D-men, behind only Nick Lidstrom and Scott Niedermayer)
If that's not legend status I don't know what is
Rory Fitzpatrick | Ice Hockey Wiki | Fandom

Edited by Phil_314
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Adrian Plavsic.   Maybe he got more games in but I cringed whenever he jumped over the boards.   Enrico Ciccone...had the absolute pleasure to watch him play live - talk about a terrible skater.   Bill Mukalt.   Scatchard (scratchard ha ha) and Druken (too good?). The Bra-Barian.   Robert Dirk (big Kelowna boy).   Stajanov.  Noonan...well let’s just say we’ve had some “beauties” thumbs up Cherry flops.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Adrian Plavsic.   Maybe he got more games in but I cringed whenever he jumped over the boards.   Enrico Ciccone...had the absolute pleasure to watch him play live - talk about a terrible skater.   Bill Mukalt.   Scatchard (scratchard ha ha) and Druken (too good?). The Bra-Barian.   Robert Dirk (big Kelowna boy).   Stajanov.  Noonan...well let’s just say we’ve had some “beauties” thumbs up Cherry flops.  

Heh, those guys all at least contributed a bit, well except for Stojanov who contributed by being traded.  Cowan, I actually would have him in my top 150 for his scoring streak and its impact on the ladies in the stands.  Dirk was a pretty respectable #6 D as I recall.

I was considering expanding the list to guys like Mika Noronen, Maxime Ouellet, Dany Sabourin, but I figured I'd let the goalies be.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Where’s recently acquired Etem?...you know one of those JB “character guys”... in a re-do ten years from now Leivo could make the cut ... 

Etem AND the guy we traded for him.  Nicklas Jensen, Mr. "naw, give him another year, we don't want another Cam Neely story."  Those guys could rock a spot in the Monkey Business hall of fame.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Heh, those guys all at least contributed a bit, well except for Stojanov who contributed by being traded.  Cowan, I actually would have him in my top 150 for his scoring streak and its impact on the ladies in the stands.  Dirk was a pretty respectable #6 D as I recall.

I was considering expanding the list to guys like Mika Noronen, Maxime Ouellet, Dany Sabourin, but I figured I'd let the goalies be.

I didn’t mind Dirk actually - but it would be monkey business to suggest him... I saw your thing on goalies - I won’t leave them alone Ed Dyck and Curt Ridley...and let’s not sleep on Dean Malkoc and Choiunard....or more recently Byron Ritchie...and back to goalies Potvin, Burke, Irbe, Snow, Weekes...things were terrible for us inbetween McLean and Cloutier ... Essenssa and Skudra we’re decent at least ...

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I didn’t mind Dirk actually - but it would be monkey business to suggest him... I saw your thing on goalies - I won’t leave them alone Ed Dyck and Curt Ridley...and let’s not sleep on Dean Malkoc and Choiunard....or more recently Byron Ritchie...and back to goalies Potvin, Burke, Irbe, Snow, Weekes...things were terrible for us inbetween McLean and Cloutier ... Essenssa and Skudra we’re decent at least ...

I thought most of the guys in the goalie graveyard were generally okay.  I don't think anyone got enough games to find his groove, and the practice of trading guys kind of perpetuated the graveyard.  Look at what a long leash we gave Markstrom.

Irbe - 41 games

Potvin - 69

Sean Burke - 16 games - those 16 games were awful, but it was Sean Burke, just relax and let the guy play

Essensa - 39 games

Skudra - 46 games

John Vanbiesbrouck - 0 games

Weekes - 31 - he was actually pretty rough

Then Garth Snow is the guy they stick with for >100 games?  wtf...

As for Dirk, I still don't really know why we traded him away for a 4th rounder right before the playoffs started in 94.  It wouldn't have hurt to have him for depth.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1