The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Nils Hoglander

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh for sure, not really any other way around it. But who has excess dmen? it could be for picks as well, which is OK.

A compliance buyout is so needed to bail Jim out :lol:  

There's a few teams with excess D (BUF and CAR spring immediately to mind but I'm sure Jim could dig up others). 

As for the compliance buyout...a good number of teams are likely going to 'need' one. And yes, Eriksson is a problem... It's likely either compliance buyout or pay the piper in assets to get rid of him. Beyond him, our cap management is actually incredibly well set up.

3 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

You have to be a bit more realistic with Toffoli's cap hit. He's a UFA in his prime, pretty damn good player, and he brings a winning resume with plenty of playoff experience to the table. I think his cap hit will be in the 6.75-7.5mill, and that's assuming the cap hit stays fixed for next year. Which would be fair, considering the TV deal will come through the following season.

I've broken down Toffoli as a player before.

He's scored 30 goals once

Over 20 three times

He's an older version of boeser

I like Toffoli but saying he will be the highest paid player in forward group is wrong.

Toffoli is a top end 2nd line winger behind Boeser but ahead of Virtanen

Toffoli scored 24 goals

Virtanen 18

So jake deserves 5 million per?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's a few teams with excess D (BUF and CAR spring immediately to mind but I'm sure Jim could dig up others). 

As for the compliance buyout...a good number of teams are likely going to 'need' one. And yes, Eriksson is a problem... It's likely either compliance buyout or pay the piper in assets to get rid of him. Beyond him, our cap management is actually incredibly well set up.

yeah thats true. But you have to know Jim will pour an extra finger of scotch if Bettman allows compliance buyouts.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah thats true. But you have to know Jim will pour an extra finger of scotch if Bettman allows compliance buyouts.

A LOT of GM's will be...but sure.

Me too BTW! ::D

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Over 20 three times

I like Toffoli but saying he will be the highest paid player in forward group is wrong.

Toffoli scored 24 goals

Virtanen 18

That and with the covid cap pinch this year, I'd be pretty shocked if he gets much over $5'ish anywhere.

• Thanks 1

Any chance Hoglander can break into our top 9 next season? He seems to have tons of speed and creativity....  his roster spot will depend on whether JB brings back Leivo/Motte. Would love to see another exciting Swedish rookie though!!

21 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Any chance Hoglander can break into our top 9 next season? He seems to have tons of speed and creativity....  his roster spot will depend on whether JB brings back Leivo/Motte. Would love to see another exciting Swedish rookie though!!

Motte should be back... he’s an rfa.  Leivo will be a UFA and I’m guessing won’t be re-signed given the crowded state of our top 9. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

He'd really have to be lights out in the camp and preseaon, unless of course a trade happens (ie: Sutter), I think management would probably want him getting top end minutes with the Comets where he'd probably be 1st 2nd line, and get used to the NA game. Leivo sucks, he's as good as gone. Motte is probably a mainstay in our 4th line, the guy is terrific and comes with a very cheap price tag for what he does

On 4/29/2020 at 5:33 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Kid is an uber athlete. Benning says from the top of the circles and down, in tight spaces, he's quick. He can jump into holes. I like your word; sturdy.

I say explode into holes! His motor unbelievable. A pinball. Powers off guys & bangs into the next. Digs. Still has hand eye, endurance to make control moves. Tireless. He may not stride away from Quinn Hughes in open ice? Few, if any, D in the NHL will beat him from the wall, to the slot & back. With someone dogging him. I believe our best athlete? 

I imagine 2 years from now there will be times we see see: Hoglander / Horvat / Podkolzin. Could be the hardest working line in hockey? Podz also a tireless digger.

Some quotes from posts earlier in the thread;

So strong. Does not get bumped off the puck for a smaller guy. His compete level is through the roof, never quits on a puck.

“When I protect the puck, that's my strength, not just stick-handling. I work out a lot, I'm pretty strong. But don't be scared to go there [tough areas]. I think I'll win the puck, and nothing else.” - Hoglander on his best attributes 

“My goal is to win, and I always love to win the puck, the battle. Don't be scared to go into the battle to win the puck.

He plays a hard game, he's strong on the puck

He's Nail Yakupov with his head on straight. Fantastic hands, not a burner, great lateral movement. I don't want to see the team rush him if he doesn't make it to the roster and gets sent to Sweden or Utica. Hogs is gonna be a good one, hope he goes to Utica though so a lot of us can watch him and keep track of his progress more. Gonna be an exciting Comets team with Woo, Locks, Hogs, Lind, and our guy DP in net

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

He's Nail Yakupov with his head on straight

Ooooh, ouch... :o

Not sure I agree. Nor should we expect him to play more than a handful of games in Utica. He's already been a battler and 3rd line role player in a league against full sized men for 2 years.  Very different than Yak tearing up leagues against 17 & 18 year old players in the OHL as an offensive stud. No Nucks? Let Nils have a crack at top line in Sweden. Its a good league.

That he has been a battler, a feisty one at that, means he can probably fill a role on our roster if that is what he has to do for the Nucks. Yak never had to deal with that? Was never ready to take that on.

This is great news. I liked this pick and he looked good in the WJC. 

Yes he's got skill and feistiness up the ying yang for sure. No denying that. 

I've seen him listed at both 5'8" and 5'9"; negligible I know, but he's still vertically challenged. For a winger I guess that's okay. He does play big for sure.

I'm hoping the expectations layed on this kid don't get the best of him. I say let's get him as soon as possible to N.A. and get him some minutes!

20 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Over 20 three times

Toffoli scored 24 goals

Virtanen 18

He's got nothing to do with Boeser. They play a different style. Toffoli is a 2way guy, gets in the corners, playoffs clutch guy. Jake deserves nowhere near 5 million, I have no idea how you made that jump. Even if you're looking at numbers alone, Virtanen (and Boeser) are still establishing themselves whereas Toffoli has paid his dues. Toffoli is on pace for 29 goals this year. 1st liners cost 9+ AAV in 2020, 2nd liners are more in the 6.5+ AAV... Why would you expect a guy who's hitting UFA in his prime to sign for a cheap home town deal when he's only played 10 games. Why wouldn't he then wait and get 1-2 mill extra per year. Even if the cap hit stays flat, there's going to be a bidding war for his services. I don't think he's coming in anywhere below 6.5 cap hit. Only way I see him signing for the cap hit you're suggesting is if the cap actually goes down.

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

He'd really have to be lights out in the camp and preseaon, unless of course a trade happens (ie: Sutter), I think management would probably want him getting top end minutes with the Comets where he'd probably be 1st 2nd line, and get used to the NA game. Leivo sucks, he's as good as gone. Motte is probably a mainstay in our 4th line, the guy is terrific and comes with a very cheap price tag for what he does

Leivo doesn't suck... he just got unlucky with that serious injury... he's a great fit on the third line but unfortunately no room for him especially if Ferland is back healthy. 

Hoglander will either be in NHL or back to Sweden next season. He needs a strong 2-way centre to succeed!

• Huggy Bear 1

On 5/2/2020 at 2:34 AM, filthycanuck said:

Didn't Hoglander already say he will play in Sweden if he does not make the Canucks?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Didn't Hoglander already say he will play in Sweden if he does not make the Canucks?

As he should. 

Don’t really see a player with his high end skill and work ethic needing time in the AHL. Let him continue developing in the SHL if he isn’t ready.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

As he should. 

Don’t really see a player with his high end skill and work ethic needing time in the AHL. Let him continue developing in the SHL if he isn’t ready.

And it's arguably better for the Canucks if he does, as I believe his contract would then slide a year. That could be of huge value in 3 years.

• Wat 1

On 4/30/2020 at 6:07 AM, Me_ said:

Canucks are going to have a seriously great problem to have; a logjam of skilled forwards.

MILLER - PETTERSSON - TOFFOLI

PEARSON - HORVAT - BOESER

HÖGLANDER - GAUDETTE - PODKOLZIN

Maybe?

I see Toffoli as the logical casualty of a Covid reduced salary cap. It was even likely before Corona virus.

A classic rental. 

As good as Tofu was / has been? Tanev, or a Tanev replacement is a much bigger need. For exactly the reasons of depth you mention.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And it's arguably better for the Canucks if he does, as I believe his contract would then slide a year. That could be of huge value in 3 years.

I think they only slide going to junior. 

On 4/29/2020 at 2:39 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Will be interesting whether he chooses to come to play in Utica or chooses to stay in Sweden til he is NHL ready.

Hope he comes over to adjust to the NA style of game.  I feel his overall flash and skill along with an abrasive style will allow him to flourish despite his short stature.

Just seen earlier that he will go back to Sweden if he doesnt make the team