The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks exploring possibility of trading Brock Boeser

Boeser is only 23 and has 161 points in 197 games... You don't trade players like that for a cap dump. 
He's has been an important part of our powerplay since he was a rookie. While his shot has waned in effectiveness, there's no reason to believe he won't recapture his form from when he was on pace for 38 goals and break Bure's rookie franchise goal-scoring record. He still has a lot of hockey left. If he stays healthy, he could be a perennial 30+ goal scorer. His playmaking is very underrated. He has found other ways to help the team when his shot is being taken away. That's what good players do--they adapt.
Boeser is a high character guy you want to keep on your team. I would rather keep Boeser than resign Toffoli. 

Edited by NaveJoseph
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Nope. He isn’t a Hughes. The guy may end up being a star but who knows. Brock is a guaranteed star. Your trade is a gamble. Rather stick with the sure thing. 

Brock is a keeper...however, if he was to be traded, then the team needs quality back to fill a position of weakness...we do have RDs in the system, but Dobson is going to be good from all appearances....Dmen who played in the MCF scoring 29 pts usually keep getting better.

Reports on him are he is a student of the game...lives and breathes hockey. I wouldn't put too much stock in his first year pro stats...Isles have a good veteran d lineup, the Isles are allowing him to develop slowly with less ice time and less pressure.

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, J-23 said:

So you expect Hoglander with no AHL or NHL experience to hop right into a top 6 role.

Never said these were things I expected to happen or were likely to happen, just things that I would need to happen in order to even consider trading Boeser.

The point of my post was that it does not make sense for us to trade Boeser unless a whole bunch of things all line up then it might make sense. 

I don't think it is impossible for Hoglander to be in the top 6 but think it is very unlikely. If at camp he blew our socks off and he made the team, I would rather find a spot in the top 6 for him than force him to play out of style unless its on a very sheltered offensive line with Gaudette. This is all irrelevant to my post though. I would require someone coming in to be a top 6 winger that was part of the Boeser trade in order to replace him otherwise I am just not trading him.

17 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Boeser is only 23 and has 161 points in 197 games... You don't trade players like that for a cap dump. 
He's has been an important part of our powerplay since he was a rookie. While his shot has waned in effectiveness, there's no reason to believe he won't recapture his form from when he was on pace for 38 goals and break Bure's rookie franchise goal-scoring record. He still has a lot of hockey left. If he stays healthy, he could be a perennial 30+ goal scorer. His playmaking is very underrated. He has found other ways to help the team when his shot is being taken away. That's what good players do--they adapt.
Boeser is a high character guy you want to keep on your team. I would rather keep Boeser than resign Toffoli. 

Again, not a cap dump if he's moved.  It's be a hockey trade

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Dhaliwal insists that everything Sekeres said yesterday was bang on.  He said he talked to people around the hockey world and they confirmed it.

“People” huh? Well that confirms it.

Im sure Dhaliwal has all the access to NHL execs privy to that information. People like Friedman must just not have good enough sources...

Anyways Dhaliwal is sounding more like Eklund these days than an actual respectable insider. For all we know the person throwing him a bone was just trying to stir things up and creat a market for Boeser or controversy for the Canucks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

We do have options. Trading Brock is probably one of them but it's probably not the option management wants to go with. Asset management will come into play. Something's got to give with the cap, we have lots of bad contracts and we're going to pay for it one way or another.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Hell no. You don’t trade an NHL star for an unproven prospect. :picard:

Unless it’s for a guarantee like Lafreniere!

The guy plays like an Alex Pietrangelo. Was actually his NHL comp on draft day. His all around play probably gives you at the very least a 2nd pairing dman if he doesn’t reach his full potential. With Boeser’s injury history and if we really are in a bad cap situation I wouldn’t mind this trade. We have Podkolzin and Hoglander as potential top 6 wingers with outside shots of Virtanen and Lind maybe developing into a top 6 role. If you want to wait for a sure thing then the price tag goes way up because dmen are much more valuable than wingers. Moot point anyway because Dobson is probably untouchable.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Dumba+Hartman+ 2nd for Boeser+ sutter+ 4th

The Wild are looking for a C1 in return for Dumba not another winger.  They also have no use for Sutter - he was already offered up to them earlier this year and Guerin declined per Russo.

Russo: "... but as much as Guerin would love not to trade Brodin or Dumba, if either player could get the Wild closer to a No. 1 center or bring back a No. 2 center and other assets, he'd seriously consider it."

Friedman on Guerin: "I don't get the sense he's inclined to do anything with either (Dumba or Brodin), unless it involves an elite centre, or maybe a No. 2 centre, providing that includes something extra like a couple of first-rounders or something along those lines."

16 minutes ago, shazzam said:

We do have options. Trading Brock is probably one of them but it's probably not the option management wants to go with. Asset management will come into play. Something's got to give with the cap, we have lots of bad contracts and we're going to pay for it one way or another.

Asset management is not Benning’s strongest attribute, this is disturbing that they would have to get rid of Brock because of guys like Beagle, Sutter, Ericsson etc, pay they damn picks and get rid of those guys and fire Benning before this gets bad, like Edmonton bad

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shazzam said:

Benning seems like a thorough guy so I wouldn’t be surprised if he entertained any teams calling on Brock. But that is much different than actively shopping him.

Like you said, it would be an option but only if most other options are exhausted.

Plan A, B, C, D etc would involve dumping salary of redundant players on the roster.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Dumba+Hartman+ 2nd for Boeser+ sutter+ 4th

Dumbs makes $5.4

Hartman is 25 and has played for four teams already. Something’s up there.

Boeser is worth much more than that to both teams.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Benning seems like a thorough guy so I wouldn’t be surprised if he entertained any teams calling on Brock. But that is much different than actively shopping him.

Like you said, it would be an option but only if most other options are exhausted.

Plan A, B, C, D etc would involve dumping salary of redundant players on the roster.

I agree that I doubt he's actively shopping him, but I've saved d for a long time he's likely tops on the lists of assets to move out as he's the only one with any real value

2 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Asset management is not Benning’s strongest attribute, this is disturbing that they would have to get rid of Brock because of guys like Beagle, Sutter, Ericsson etc, pay they damn picks and get rid of those guys and fire Benning before this gets bad, like Edmonton bad

I would prefer to pay picks to dump those guys than trade Boeser.

Draft picks are less important now than they were before. The more important thing is developing around a core and pushing for playoffs. Trading one of our better young core players does not accomplish that.

• Upvote 1