The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver park board allows temporary overnight sheltering in parks

DonLever

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Parks board going beyond their mandate.  The board is controlled by a Green/Cope alliance and is getting into issues like housing, traffic and bike lanes, liquor consumption.

Is it true that Vancouver is the only city in Canada with an elected Parks Board?

Is this going to change?  

They're not going beyond their mandate. They're trying to comply with Supreme Court rulings.

16 minutes ago, GoCanucks16 said:

Not all homeless people have an addiction. And addiction is a disease.

The post never said all homeless have addiction. They are right, this city is filled with junkies. Opioids are everywhere and people will do drugs in broad daylight. Also addiction is a choice. But I've already had that discussion many times and I don't feel like getting into a debate about it.

I live 3 blocks from a halfway house. I know what I'm talking about. I see it every day. Their favourite hobby is doing drugs in the parking lot and riding bikes down my street at 11pm blasting music through their speakers.

I'm tired of the 'not all of them' trope. Something needs to be done.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

The post never said all homeless have addiction. They are right, this city is filled with junkies. Opioids are everywhere and people will do drugs in broad daylight. Also addiction is a choice. But I've already had that discussion many times and I don't feel like getting into a debate about it.

I live 3 blocks from a halfway house. I know what I'm talking about. I see it every day. Their favourite hobby is doing drugs in the parking lot and riding bikes down my street at 11pm blasting music through their speakers.

you dont feel like getting into a debate, but still offer your opinion. must be nice living a life where you always get the last say. i want to join in too. your statement you made is a atrocity to the majority of people with higher intelligence. of course this doesnt make you less intelligent per see, but there's a much higher chance you are of having less than average IQ. you could try to convince me you're above average iq, but I don't want to debate about it. I don't have time to argue with someone that won't be able to grasp the logic in my sentences.

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

Source on the bolded?

If you're not going to get into a debate about it, why make a statement?

What do you propose be done? Give people stable housing?

Make it mandatory for every 3 units of new construction 1 unit of social/group housing has to be built? Maybe change the way welfare works to paying your rent directly to the landlord. And giving recipients gift cards to grocery stores, bus passes. Then a small amount of cash for other expenses. That way you get a a place to live. Food to eat, and clothing, and transit. Maybe try to increase addiction services, mental and physical health services. Try to get people to be productive as they can, and improve their self worth.

I understand there's going to be a segment of the population that mentally and physically make it impossible to work. But we should at least try to bring society up to achieve greater things. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Make it mandatory for every 3 units of new construction 1 unit of social/group housing has to be built? Maybe change the way welfare works to paying your rent directly to the landlord. And giving recipients gift cards to grocery stores, bus passes. Then a small amount of cash for other expenses. That way you get a a place to live. Food to eat, and clothing, and transit. Maybe try to increase addiction services, mental and physical health services. Try to get people to be productive as they can, and improve their self worth.

I understand there's going to be a segment of the population that mentally and physically make it impossible to work. But we should at least try to bring society up to achieve greater things. 

I don’t know what the answer is as there’s going to be enough problems for the various levels of government dealing with the debts they’ve racked up as a result of this pandemic....let alone spending even more money to help deal with the issue.  It’s not going away (but getting worse) so doing nothing isn’t an option (look at the HUGE skid row areas in LA as an example).

People are not going to stop using. The ports have less than 1% of their containers checked, millions of containers per year, they wont be able to stop the illegal and dangerous supply.

Legalise them all, control the supply, use profits to help and educate those addicted.

I think good old Dr Bonnie and some police chiefs are asking for this too. 

On 7/15/2020 at 4:25 PM, DonLever said:

Victoria have a similar bylaw.   So how did it work, did campers pack in the morning and leave?  Not. they are there 24/7 as we see in Beacon Hill Park.

Now the question is will we see homeless camping on the West Side.   Perhaps we can see some campers out in QE Park, Kitsilano, Point Grey, etc.

I live near the DTES, within walking distance of both Oppenheimer Park and Strathcona Park.  I see what is going on.   Now, if the problems associated with these camps move to the "rich" West Side, perhaps a more permanent solution can be found.  The voices of those on the West Side always seem to speak louder than those on the East side.

Been walking the park these past few days for vacation.  Very disappointed in seeing so many tents set up there.  But to be fair, it doesn't look as dingy as Oppenheimer (although probably the sunny weather and nice park may play a role in terms of perception).

My wife works nearby Oppenheimer and left work during the height of the tent city... now our first trip in a while and there's a mini-tent city in our favourite park in Victoria, lol.

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

People are not going to stop using. The ports have less than 1% of their containers checked, millions of containers per year, they wont be able to stop the illegal and dangerous supply.

Legalise them all, control the supply, use profits to help and educate those addicted.

I think good old Dr Bonnie and some police chiefs are asking for this too. 

Didn't some also claim that the legalization of marijuana would help with harm reduction as many addicts would just smoke pot due to accessibility instead of the harder drugs?  Apparently that's not the case.  

The problem with homelessness is that there are different sub-sets of homeless folks:

1.  Those with financial difficulties and just require a little boost to get back on their feet.

2.  People who has illnesses that needs to be treated to return back to normalcy.

3.  Individuals suffering from mental issues whether due to abuse, trauma, whatever.... cannot take care of themselves  

4.  Those who just wants to get high and live off others.

Everyone pretty much agrees that #1-2 should be getting help.  There are already programs in place to help these people.... perhaps just more is required.  Temporary/transitional housing, courses to update their resumes, food/clothing, etc.  

For #3.... we need to stop focusing on their "rights" and do what is humane for them.... force them off the streets and into medical facilities to help them.  Respecting their human rights are important... but if their minds are stuck half between the Moon and New York City.... having them on the streets behaving like beasts and endangering themselves and others is very inhumane.  

For the last group.... screw them, drive them out of town.  If they want free housing and free food.... prison or labour camp.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Didn't some also claim that the legalization of marijuana would help with harm reduction as many addicts would just smoke pot due to accessibility instead of the harder drugs?  Apparently that's not the case.  

I don't think the roll out of legalisation of weed has been executed very well. All sides of it's health benefits could be better utilised.

I had a friend that helped open 5 shops. He battled bi-polar a lot and when he got out of UBC hospital he was driven to do something to help others. He set up a 'shake' program to give to addicts of harder drugs. Using marijuana as a reverse gateway drug if you will to get them straight. He said it was a success then ran into licensing issues with the shops and they had to close. But I don't have any stats, do you?

I was the director of a group that has the biggest liquor store in the DTES for 10 years ( until last year). I stood face to face with the addicts. I saw first had how bad it is getting down there. Without drastic change the problem will only keep growing. You cannot stop the drugs getting into or circulating the province. Some of the drugs out there are so powerful and deadly with only a tiny dose.

Legalise them all. Use the profits to educate and support. Reduce the power of organised crime. 

On 7/16/2020 at 7:34 AM, Baer. said:

Exactly. I don't want to hear this excuse that addiction is a disease. Person A says no to drugs, has a nice life, own house, car, stable job. Person B gets hooked on opiods or whatever they take these days, lives on the streets. One said no, the other one decided to be a moron. Nobody is forced to take these substances, its always been a choice and sadly, us tax payers have to pay for it. I work a few minutes from the DTES and they around the streets, I know exactly how you feel about them.

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Exactly. I don't want to hear this excuse that addiction is a disease.

Yah, who cares what all the leading, educated experts say. Doctors and scientists don't know what they talking about.

much better to take the word of an anonymous poster on a hockey fan forum, amirite or amirite?

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Exactly. I don't want to hear this excuse that addiction is a disease. Person A says no to drugs, has a nice life, own house, car, stable job. Person B gets hooked on opiods or whatever they take these days, lives on the streets. One said no, the other one decided to be a moron. Nobody is forced to take these substances, its always been a choice and sadly, us tax payers have to pay for it. I work a few minutes from the DTES and they around the streets, I know exactly how you feel about them.

It should be a legal choice so that we can profit and support those that need help. With that nice side product of reducing organised crime.

Not unlike that very deadly drug alcohol. Did you know BC has a 10%liquor tax on that nasty stuff?  therefore lots of profit for the gov instead of criminals. 

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

As soon as the border opens, we should start sending our homeless to Vancouver.

Nicer weather, free camp, injection sites etc.

Hand them out nice knapsack with big ol’ maple leaf and of you go.

The way your country is going, you might have a lot of them.

I'll go start drawing the social distance camping circles in Lord Stanley's park. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The way your country is going, you might have a lot of them.

I'll go start drawing the social distance camping circles in Lord Stanley's park. 

Once it hits 30 below in the winter, most of them prefer Florida or California.

On 7/16/2020 at 7:07 AM, GoCanucks16 said:

I support the homeless.

And this is a matter of human rights.

If someone has nowhere to lodge, this goes a long way in contributing to their health and safety.

People on this board don't understand.

You support people being homeless? 

That’s terrible. 

• Haha 1

On 7/16/2020 at 7:07 AM, GoCanucks16 said:

I support the homeless.

And this is a matter of human rights.

If someone has nowhere to lodge, this goes a long way in contributing to their health and safety.

People on this board don't understand.

Don’t a number refuse to sleep in government provided shelters?  Some may have legitimate (their opinions as I’m fortunate enough never had to live in one so I’m not saying they’re factually correct) reasons like feeling it isn’t safe in those places.  Some don’t want to have to follow the rules in those shelters.  But as I implied....I’m ignorant of the situation & would like someone with real life experience with the system to educate me.