The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 04, 2020 | Series tied 1-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I thought today was a dominant performance by the Canucks. Honestly, the late 2 goals by Fiala made it look much closer than it was. It wasn't close for 57 minutes and 45 seconds. We dictated the play from the start. Great games by our entire forward group. 

However, Myers was terrible. 3 penalties in a row, on purely boneheaded plays. It was cringy. Worst part was that he took a penalty as soon as Boeser was getting sprung for an odd-man rush. That must have been super frustrating for him and the forward group. Myers is a battler for sure, but he definitely lacks hockey IQ. He might actually be the lowest IQ dman I think I've ever seen don a Canucks jersey. His reach saves him from the constant pressure he puts on himself and his defense partner. If he can clean it up, I won't be worried long.

The battle in everybody was noticeable. I do want to single out 5 players specifically; Motte, EP, Bo, Stecher and Edler. Wow.

Virtanen was a factor. Unleash him next game.

He also wasn't covering his man on the sh goal as well as giving up a short handed breakaway which Virtanen had to be superman to get back on and break up. Horrible game for the giraffe. He needs to better next game.

The Canucks tried to finish the last six or so minutes of the game without getting into scrums. They just wanted to ease their way into a win/ratchet down the intensity. There is no way they make the same mistake again. Fiala wasn't that impressive for 55 minutes of the game and then was gloating about a 4-2 goal. 

The challenge for the Canucks IMO will all come down to special teams. The reffing is fair to both teams, but there is such in-game inconsistency. I imagine the players have zero idea what is/is not a penalty at this point. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The cognitive dissonance of some people to call Petey small/weak but also a goon/dirty. Which one is it Minnesota? I get that Americans have trouble holding more than one thought in their head at the same time but yeesh. 

Petey seems to be able to take a Sedin-like beating and keep playing, if he can now bring a little of it in retaliation to help himself thats freaking great. Its what Benning wanted these guys to learn. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

That natural athleticism is really something. Big Tuna can skate like the wind. Endurance is the only worry but with all the adrenaline last night he was just fine

I'd say endurance and focus (not last night, but at times).  Which I feel sitting/watching the first game helped with...focus.  "Seeing" what he'd need to do.

But yeah, he's so fun to watch.  

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wouldn't call it redemption but Loui did some good work last night. Poor bugger breaks his stick on his best scoring chance too :picard: 

I think the whole Canuck nation threw their hands up in the air on that play haha but I agree he was battling.

same lineup next game please. Or drop Ferland for Mac if needed

My 9 days off has aligned perfectly with the Play-in rounds...been watching a lot of games (the wife is ecstatic, over the moon).

one thing that is obvious is...going high top shelf a lot of goals are scored....just like Pearson's goal.

...thought LE fit well with Horvat.

...you gotta remember, I've got a ton of "get out of jail cards", which I'm utilizing some for the Play-in rounds.

So boys, you may not want to follow my lead...lol

Edited by Pete M

I also HAVE to say....I love Eddie.  Guy's a warrior (Tanev too).  Those guys who quietly go about their business but never show fear or even being rattled.  Calm, composed and that stuff helps settle teams down.

2 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

Hey all. I have been on here as a guest for years and finally signed up last night. I’m a huge Canuck fan and appreciate all of your insight, perspective on our beloved team. My favourite poster is debluvscanucks love the passion! Anyhow Go Canucks Go!!

Welcome aboard!   And thank you for the kind words.

GO CANUCKS GO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I also HAVE to say....I love Eddie.  Guy's a warrior (Tanev too).  Those guys who quietly go about their business but never show fear or even being rattled.  Calm, composed and that stuff helps settle teams down.

is there any Canuck that you aren't fussy on? :)

• Haha 1