The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 19, 2020 | Canucks lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Watching this team reminds me of that great line from the movie, "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". They kept looking back at the posse chasing them and saying "Who are those guys anyway?". I thought those guys were out of it last night when they were down 3-1. Almost turned it off, but like the posse, they just kept coming and coming.

6 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

I saw it almost cross and then not cross. Eagle eyes. Crossbar is irrelevant. Maybe you cannet see the red line, grab a magnifying glass lol. It's not even close. It's only halfway. Screenshot_20200820-121640_Chrome.jpg.308b7c3ec6ae587659403483c4ac7bfd.jpg

Considering the ref is right there, waived it off then confirmed both grounds for why there was no goal, I think it's pretty conclusive that the puck did not cross the line.

For all the justified griping about the refs in the playoffs so far, last night seemed fine.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

McLean with black pads and black sweaters looked killer. 

The black uni’s made the team look pretty intimidating out there. 

image.thumb.jpeg.88bb72d51de66e6705ab1b03ed40b798.jpeg

I agree, but they were also big and intimidating, physically.  They are my all time fav Jersey and would love to see them back, but they're not going to intimidate anyone 

3 hours ago, 70seven said:

Boeser looks to me like the player I saw all year.  I like Brock, but would easily move on him for a young RHD.  The guy has just lost his shooting mojo.  Still valuable!  But we have other winger options, and clearly need help on the back end. 

Brock brought it again last night.  He’s usually the last one off on his shift because he goes back and helps the defense (has anyone else noticed this? He’s been doing this all playoffs) and like usual made some great plays and had his chances ( a lot of which were blocked again).   Yes we need another RHD but why don’t we wait and see what we have in Rafferty and in two seasons we can afford to buy another Myers anyways.   He’s the best RW we have right now including TT - and I’m kind of getting tired of the beatings he gets from this fan base.  God help EP and QHs when their likely massive deals come and they don’t get on the scoresheet for a couple of games.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benn has been solid since joining the team. Extremely happy to see him returning to his bruising form. 

I thought he had a great game last night.......probably his best as a Canuck.  He was patient, tough and made smart low risk plays all night

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Remember when we were "years and years from contending" and that we needed to "Tank"? :lol: :towel::metal:

Yup I do! Those were some dark years, but well worth it.  Getting Pettersson and Hughes is showing that trusting the proceess and "tanking" for high picks is paying off! Where would this team be without those two?! Not even close to contenders!  Avs with Mackinnon, Rantanen and Makar is showing that their tanking is paying off too.  I remember their 48 points season not too long ago! Now, they're legit cup favourites this year!  This is what the pro tankers wanted!  An elite core that can have sustained winning instead of just mediocrity like the Wild have been for years.  The wild are the example of what you don't want to be.  Good enough to make the playoffs yearly, but not good enough to pass the first round.  Just a cycle of mediocrity because they don't have the high end talent. 

As a pro tanker, I'm very happy with the current team and can't wait till Pod and Hog come over!  I still have high hopes for Lind and hope he eventually gets a shot with us before he becomes Seattle expansion bait.

Edited by FireGillis
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Considering the ref is right there, waived it off then confirmed both grounds for why there was no goal, I think it's pretty conclusive that the puck did not cross the line.

For all the justified griping about the refs in the playoffs so far, last night seemed fine.

We cannot blame the refs last night. On Motts second goal there could have been a penalty and JT Miller's goal should have been no goal. I cannot believe Berube didn't challenge it. Just goes to show what a good PP can do. He was definitely afraid of giving Vancouver a PP.  If you watch the replay of the JT Miller goal Allen has the puck under his glove and Miller pushes it out... I was sure it was coming back. 

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

I agree.  

I was guilty of wanting to drop Fanta and Benn in favour of Juolevi and Rafferty,  but the 2 have been stalwarts, especially after Eddie went down.

That was never going to happen in real life anyway.  NHL coaches don't just put 2 rookie D men into a  must win playoff game lmao.  

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

On hfboards user name lazylarry ( I think that's it)

I liked him but it's obvious he didn't care for all the people that have been concerned for him since he vanished. 

Alf should have been permabanned for his posts on Kobe Bryant. 

57 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

Yea towards the end of the 2nd. Did you watch the 2nd period before we scored? Couldve easily been 5-1 6-1 without Markstrom

Yea towards the end of the 3rd. Did you watch the 3rd period? Could have easily been 6-3 7-3 (for the Canucks).

Haha...blues fans on the Canuck board!!??

Edited by CanuckCup2022

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

One of the things I love about this group - that I think will/could actually make them better than the 2011 team in the end.

Markstrom is pure fighter - whereas (don't want to be too hard on a retired) Luongo, was not so much. His body language was hard to watch at times.  He had his moments, but Markstrom is 100% fierce at all times.

Love the Sedins, but Pettersson and Hughes have latent killers inside of them.  They burn real hot.  They hit/slash back.  That helps in a game like hockey.   No disrespect intended to Horvat, but I hope Captain actually evolves a bit in that sense.

Miller, Pearson, Toffoli, Roussel, Ferland,  = veteran acquisitions that leave it on the ice / are of one mind = to win.

Beagle, Sutter, Tanev, Edler, Motte, Myers< Leivo, etc...one helluva #foundation.

And then there is the waves of youth beyond the core that push the depth and give the team flexibility - Boeser, Virtanen, Demko, Gaudette, Stecher, MacEwen, Juolevi - and another wave to come.

I think there is a thread running through that entire group = don't expect to break their will.

Thanks for triggering my PTSD

40 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

Why does it even matter? Ok Marky saved it and came up big again. If they scored would you be happy with the way they played for the last 6 minutes? You cant just say they played good because Markstrom made big saves. Markstrom played very well. The team on the other hand played really bad for the final 5 minute and not result will change my mind on that. Result of game does not change the way your team played. We had a hell of a first 12 minutes. Horrible last 8 minutes and first half of 2nd period. Played a good 3rd up until the 5 or 6 minute mark and decided we were going to let Markstrom win or lose the game for us

CANUCKS WON!!