The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 19, 2020 | Canucks lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Joe Vitale's synopsis of the game is a great listen.  STL is used to grinding teams down and destroying the will power of their opponents.  Seeing the Canucks comeback was a big shock.  

Also, some of the shots last night were freaking perfect.  Both of Mottes and Schenn/Sanford's goals were perfect shots.  Virtanen too.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

I think the top unlikely hero not named Motte, has got to be Fantenberg. He has played solid. Very impressed with his play. 

I agree.  

I was guilty of wanting to drop Fanta and Benn in favour of Juolevi and Rafferty,  but the 2 have been stalwarts, especially after Eddie went down.

• Upvote 1

During the rebuilding years one of my favourite Canuck was Thomas Vanek even if he stayed with us only for few months. 

Well, now we owe him a big thanks for his greatest play as a Canuck: bringing us...TYLER FREAKIN' MOTTE! 

Edited by ItalianCanuck1

8 hours ago, bree2 said:

why not, Motte seems to do it! Jake was great tonight, but he has played  in the top six during reg season and then he cools off. but if he can keep it up , keep him up for the next game,  with Petey, and Pearson  and put Miller, Horvat  and Boeser together again

Love Motter, but he did it one game. Prior to this his offense was non existent. And that style of play suits Motter's game better than it does Jake. Going back as far as the Wild series our bottom 6 hasn't really scored with any consistency. People blame that on Jake but I also think it's just how they are being deployed and the mindset they are being deployed in. Greener wants that 3rd line to function more as a shutdown line. Which is why we seen Jake just flat out not perform since that's not his style of play. But Motter and Sutter have played incredibly well in that shutdown 3rd liner role. It's a style that makes sense for Motter and doesn't for Jake.

It's why as an avid Virtanen supporter it's sad to see his talents not being utilized properly, for offence. He functioned well on the 3rd line when it wasn't a shutdown line. Back when it had Roussel and Gaudette. Unfortunately Roussel seems to be a shell of his former self due to injuries and Gaudette has a style not made for playoff hockey in the slightest so he's largely been on the sidelines. 

15 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

I really want to see them switch to this Jersey full time. If not atleast make it a permanent 3rd. It's just a Jersey but these guys look fire in them!

1183187099.jpeg

1192743781.jpg.0.jpg

canucks-16.jpg

gettyimages-1182961370.jpg

USATSI_13678955-scaled.jpg

r664907_608x342_16-9.jpg

Hands down my favourite colours. I grew up watching the Nucks in these colours. 2 division titles and a memorable cup run. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Joe Vitale's synopsis of the game is a great listen.  STL is used to grinding teams down and destroying the will power of their opponents.  Seeing the Canucks comeback was a big shock.  

Also, some of the shots last night were freaking perfect.  Both of Mottes and Schenn/Sanford's goals were perfect shots.  Virtanen too.  

Where’d you hear that? This series has been the best. 

54 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

For some reason, I was less stressed for this game. I had just assumed STL would take it to them, and they did, except Markstrom saved their bacon over and over. Thank Benning for him. It was a great result, and hopefully they can put away the Blues on Friday. Awesome to see Motte play so well and be rewarded, and for Jake to finally contribute. Losing Edler and Myers - is a huge blow. Well...hopefully Edler is okay. Tomorrow's game should be fun, STL will be playing desperate, dirty hockey, so I hope the Canucks can weather that storm and finish them off. I wonder if the "home team" will end up winning a game in this series?

What's the betting they will target Edler's head in post whistle scrums.   It's what Berube would do were he playing

50 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

Totally agree. I expected the Canucks to kinda just fade last night, “well it was a good season, nobody really expected us to win more than a game or 2 against the Blues anyway” kinda thing. They could’ve just shrugged and gone through the motions. But something stirred inside these guys to keep pushing and competing. You may not always win, but you never ever want to quit pushing and competing. Teams with moxie and championship mettle never quit.

Note to League .....

Against the Canucks, no lead is big enough, no lead is ever safe