The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 19, 2020 | Canucks lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, wildwood12 said:

Bieksa laughing as he comments about Calgary’s defensive mistakes. He’s a beauty!

I wish I saw that, but I missed it (and all of Dallas' 2nd period goals lol).

I was pulling for Calgary - not simply because of the matchup implications if the Canucks manage to knock off St Louis - but because I prefer them over Dallas - but at the same time, it's hard not to laugh at Tkachuk's antics in that press box.   If he doesn't like it up there, he might want to reflect on that filthy hit he threw on Scheifele - and countless other cheap and dangerous risks he takes, at the expense of his opponents.

Was hoping the Flames could follow through on that lead they built - but went for a walk, came back and Dallas had scored 5 x 2nd period goals....and it was hard not to laugh at all that attention the camera crew was giving Tkachuk.

Edited by oldnews

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I was pulling for Calgary - not simply because of the matchup implications if the Canucks manage to knock off St Louis - but because I prefer them over Dallas - but at the same time, it's hard not to laugh at Tkachuk's antics in that press box.   If he doesn't like it up there, he might want to reflect on that filthy hit he threw on Scheifele - and countless other cheap and dangerous risks he takes, at the expense of his opponents.

Was hoping the Flames could follow through on that lead they built - but went for a walk, came back and Dallas had scored 5 x 2nd period goals....and it was hard not to laugh at all that attention the camera crew was giving Tkachuk.

I don’t watch Calgary.

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Regardless of where one stands on Cherry’s antics, he was a big hockey voice nonetheless...

Hey man, preaching to the choir as our Christmases always had 20 of us sitting around watching the new Rock em Sock em video. It was more a joke of how quick he fell and disappeared. One person I do not miss a single iota is Strombolufouluss.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Honestly, I think that's an outdated moniker anyway....

I've mentioned several times over the years, that a modern coach has to understand how to motivate all of his players, even if those motivational methods might be polar opposite from one player to the next.

For example, I think we saw when Torts was here that both Hansen and Edler responded poorly to public dressings down. OTOH, Kelser, Wellwood and Burrows always seemed to play their best hockey after AV called them out. Same thing this playoffs for PLD on the Jackets....

Good post. 
seems so under rated by folks, when they discuss coaches. 
Players, just like everyone else, react differently. Key thing is to find a way to get through to any player, to unlock their potential, any which way possible. 

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Honestly, I think that's an outdated moniker anyway....

I've mentioned several times over the years, that a modern coach has to understand how to motivate all of his players, even if those motivational methods might be polar opposite from one player to the next.

For example, I think we saw when Torts was here that both Hansen and Edler responded poorly to public dressings down. OTOH, Kelser, Wellwood and Burrows always seemed to play their best hockey after AV called them out. Same thing this playoffs for PLD on the Jackets....

Exactly.

The problem with Torts imo - is that he had that hard-headed, cookie cutter determination to one-size fits all.   Has he developed more nuance since?  Maybe -probably not lol -  but for me, things like trying to make penalty killers of the Sedins was signature of his limits.  He is what he is.  He can't be bothered with the 'touchy feely' or whatever he wants to call it - but the problem then becomes that you have to populate your lineup with players that fit him ( he tends to want a lineup full of young, high end horses that are obedient - quite a wish list, but the CBJ are very rich in young, big, talent).  Otherwise you wind up with internal standoffs (ie as he had with Foligno, Hartnell...and probably a handful of others.  Maybe the CBJ have moved beyond that, but it seemed to cost them, possibly years.   I don't mind Torts, have a soft spot for him on some levels - but Keenan was similar, and I never managed to like him one iota.

You don't see Green managing Pettersson the same way he manages Virtanen.  For obvious reasons.  And interestingly, Green still manages to get through to players like Virtanen - to the point that Virtanen not only recognizes that his ice time depends on himself, but that Green is correct in assessing it as he does.  The article posted earlier in this thread contains some interesting, candid admissions by Virtanen, that I think make him that much more promising of a young player, recognizing his own limits and need for some tough guidance.  Green still manages to effect that, without the ballbusting - which I respect and appreciate.  I'm glad he's behind the bench of this team - he really seems to manage to get the most out of his lineup, top to bottom.  I think AV probably has a similar skillset.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I agree.  They are a group of proto-typical Canadian players, hard as rock, but up to this point they have not been dirty cheapshot artists in the way that Boston or LA has been in the past.  They play rough but don't try to deliberately injure.

Ryan O'Reilly is making himself a clear candidate for the Conn Smythe if the Blues get past the Canucks... he is a complete player who does it all.  He is complemented on the first line by two highly skilled and quick goalscorers.  On the back end, St Louis is the envy of the league.

The big difference between this year and last year is Billington... he is nowhere near as hot this season as he was in 2019 and Allen is good but not great.

Hopefully the play continues the way it has and we don't get any real nastiness emerging.

Schenn is a borderline case. I've seen him throw hits that is dangerous or might exploit earlier injuries. One hit at Boeser in last game par exam0le. 

I'd like to see the following lineup tomorrow (assuming Myers is out and Tofu is in):

Miller Pettersson Virtanen (wicked speed and chemistry)

Pearson Horvat Motte (high energy, north-south game)

Toffoli Sutter Boeser (2-way line, Tofu and Boes able to set up and/or shoot)

Roussel Beagle Eriksson (Dzone starts)

Hughes Tanev

Edler Stecher

Fantenberg Benn

Markstrom

PP1:

Toffoli Horvat Miller

Pettersson Hughes

PP2:

Boeser Sutter Pearson

Virtanen Hughes (keep him out for the whole 2 mins)

PK1:

Motte Beagle

Edler Tanev

PK2:

Eriksson Sutter

Fantenberg Benn

14 hours ago, coho8888 said:

I'm not sure what game you were watching but I'm pretty sure the territorial play was pretty even up until the final minute.  In fact, the blues had their lowest SOG total of the game in the third period.  

SOG only tallies shots on target that get through so you can be penned in your zone, and do a lot of blocking and stick work and come away with few SOG against. It doesn’t tell the story of pressure. 

12 hours ago, Rush17 said:

He actually took Motte's stick onto his own bench? :lol: How does the league not fine him for that? I know Demmer got away with one but c'mon thats funny

ZR1cUUZ.png                                              :lol:  

As soon as he picked up mottes stick should have been a minor right?