The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 21, 2020 | Canucks win series 4-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Helping the team does not equal value.  Value is the relation between what you get for what you pay.

I disagree with your stance as you are defining value solely along the basis from a monetary perspective. Nobody can argue his contract is fair value when looking at it from that lens. and his lack of offensive production which is why he was brought in when initially signed by JB. (Try to look beyond that).

His style of play is helping us win in these tight playoff games and he is contributing to the team's success within the role he now plays on this squad (defensively sound, depth forward that can play up and down the lineup). 

*I also agree with other posters as he is likely the odd man out if and when TT can return to the team.

22 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Grass is always greener stuff.  

hey don't get me wrong, somehow adding Pietrangelo without causing a major cap problem and/or losing other core pieces would be great. He's also over 30 now and carries that age decline risk (although I think with his skill set thats probably a low risk). 

I'm not sure how you could make this work without losing Pearson, and both Podkolzin and Hoglander become big contributors right away because we'd need two more ELCs to have the luxury of Hughes, Petey, and Pietrangelo all making north of 8 mil each. 

39 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I disagree with your stance as you are defining value solely along the basis from a monetary perspective. Nobody can argue his contract is fair value when looking at it from that lens. and his lack of offensive production which is why he was brought in when initially signed by JB. (Try to look beyond that).

His style of play is helping us win in these tight playoff games and he is contributing to the team's success within the role he now plays on this squad (defensively sound, depth forward that can play up and down the lineup). 

*I also agree with other posters as he is likely the odd man out if and when TT can return to the team.

You are both arguing about a single word but in two contexts.

Contract Value - Despite whether the players team value is high, is the monetary aspect of his contract equal that team value, and does that fit within a monetary value to ice a competitive team

Team Value - does he improve the team when he plays and have a pivotal role 

so yes he improves the team defensive structure and two way play, he helps stabilise the line he is on well in the top 6

however the Contract value in comparison to the rest of the squad is skewed and not good value when compared to others on our team or in the league for what he brings.

what that equates to is that he is a player that has a role to fill here and does it well, but is overpaid. 

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

hey don't get me wrong, somehow adding Pietrangelo without causing a major cap problem and/or losing other core pieces would be great. He's also over 30 now and carries that age decline risk (although I think with his skill set thats probably a low risk). 

I'm not sure how you could make this work without losing Pearson, and both Podkolzin and Hoglander become big contributors right away because we'd need two more ELCs to have the luxury of Hughes, Petey, and Pietrangelo all making north of 8 mil each. 

Add Demko as a sweetener to trade Loui.  Add a draft pick as a sweetener to trade Sutter.  That money could be used to sign Pietrangelo.  Unfortunately we would have to let Tanev walk, but we'd have enough to re-sign Markstrom.  Toffoli obviously walks as well, but with Podkolzin, Hoglander, MacEwen, Lind and hopefully a rejuvenated Virtanen we should be good on the wings for awhile.  Pearson would have to walk as well after next year, so a guy like Hoglander would need to contribute almost immediately.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

I agree.  A lot of people on these boards, and almost every host on these useless talk radio sports shows (beyond useless) have no idea how important veteran leadership is when youre in the playoffs.  There are people on these boards who seem to think you can win with a bunch of 22 year olds.  You cant.  Its never happened and it will never happen.  You need foot soldiers who have been there and played hard minutes in crucial situations to make any kind of push.   We've seen it since day 1 how Beagle, Sutter, Roussel are literally taking the fight to the opposing team.  I am so impressed with Sutter right now who has been fighting and clawing his way to the net every shift to make something happen.  Our young guys are feeding off that.  I feel like this should be a learning lesson to everyone on the board that this is why we sign players like Beagle and Roussel, and keep players like Sutter, Tanev, Edler past their 20's.  If our kids can't learn from them, who will they learn from?  

That's exactly what I thought when our vets were signed to help out our young guns and everyone was pissed about it, all I could think of, how could people be this short sighted? 

Then again.. most fans actually believe the so-called experts and regurgitate the $&!#e they spew on a regular basis... 

Laughable for sure, but pathetic to be sure. 

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Add Demko as a sweetener to trade Loui.  Add a draft pick as a sweetener to trade Sutter.  That money could be used to sign Pietrangelo.  Unfortunately we would have to let Tanev walk, but we'd have enough to re-sign Markstrom.  Toffoli obviously walks as well, but with Podkolzin, Hoglander, MacEwen, Lind and hopefully a rejuvenated Virtanen we should be good on the wings for awhile.  Pearson would have to walk as well after next year, so a guy like Hoglander would need to contribute almost immediately.

we'd be weak on our 3C position tho. Not saying that has to be Sutter but we'd have to find a way to shore that up too. 

Still so impressed with a 2nd round berth. 

Last time was in 2011.  

The boyz earned it.  I don't think they are done.  They aren't content with "learning process".  If a good expansion team can go to SFC in their inaugural season, anything is possible.  

On 8/22/2020 at 5:16 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

Very true, but I just find it odd that Canucks moderators on that site are essentially allowing certain Canuck fans on there to blatantly troll there own fanbase.    It’s just odd to me.  Go ahead, try it for yourself.  Go over there and praise Benning for the job that he’s done with this team and see where that takes you.

naw, they can have their toxic little site. If it keeps those people away from other sites than great. 

12 hours ago, KirkSave said:

from the OED:

Value

mass noun The regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something.

‘your support is of great value’
  1. 1.1The material or monetary worth of something.
    ‘prints seldom rise in value’

1.2The worth of something compared to the price paid or asked for it.
    ‘at £12.50 the book is good value’

On 8/22/2020 at 10:57 AM, Kragar said:

Yeah, the Blues were channeling the Oilers D on Stech's goal.  And it is a complete joy to see rewards from strong forechecking with all those tipped passes and takeaways that it leads to, including the first two goals.

Binkie didn't have much of a chance.

But I'd like to think Marky would have stopped two of the first three B)

Well no way in hell he stops Boeser's laser beam or Steches oost and in but maybe the first 2.. maybeeee... Anyway it was awesome to see them in the net just at the right times to pull off a win.. 

We haven't "arrived" BUT at least we're a lot closer than a lot closer than most people thought, yeah we need tweaks still to become elite but I'm thinking JB can pull it off

Edited by iceman64

15 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Well no way in hell he stops Boeser's laser beam or Steches oost and in but maybe the first 2.. maybeeee... Anyway it was awesome to see them in the net just at the right times to pull off a win.. 

We haven't "arrived" BUT at least we're a lot closer than a lot closer than most people thought, yeah we need tweaks still to become elite but I'm thinking JB can pull it off

Boeser's was the 4th goal, but yeah 99/100 there's no save made there by any goalie.  I was talking more about the first two, as Stech was set up so well.  But who knows, Marky has made some remarkable saves this playoff season.  

Anyhow, "stopping two of the first three" was more to show Marky>>>Binkie

Hope TG can get the boys to turn things around tonight.

11 hours ago, Kragar said:

Boeser's was the 4th goal, but yeah 99/100 there's no save made there by any goalie.  I was talking more about the first two, as Stech was set up so well.  But who knows, Marky has made some remarkable saves this playoff season.  

Anyhow, "stopping two of the first three" was more to show Marky>>>Binkie

Hope TG can get the boys to turn things around tonight.

Done! 

• Upvote 1