The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Aug. 23, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Right.   If Friday was game 7.  They have no extra days off.    If Friday was game 5 and finished the series 4-1, then they would be off, sat, sun, and start Monday.   

not sure if I’m making any sense 

No.

game 6 was friday. game 7 would have been Sunday, which wasn't needed, so they started the 2nd round with Dallas/Colorado on Saturday. We had Saturday off.

6 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

We weren't sharp today. I agree with green's take on the game. We missed connecting on passes that we normally make. Plays where I was expecting the team to transition up ice but we bobbled it or made a weak pass that got tipped or intercepted. 

I am curious as well as to whether this was due to the Vegas speed or just not being focused. I felt like our guys had enough time to make the plays but just didn't make them today. 

Looking forward to game 2. I am hoping to see a much  sharper team. This was not the team we saw in game 6 against the Blues. 

Im slightly disappointed that our leadership didn't rally the troops in the first intermission but again, playoffs are a marathon. Let's see how they come out in game 2.

I imagine it's a little of a lot of things.  Still "winding down" from a huge win and a tough series two days before.  The uncertainty and apprehension with a new, even tougher opponent where they went in with feelers out and a little tentative and Vegas just took over.  Then the fact that the ice was tilted as the Golden Boys were able to mock, engage, face wash, cross check, trip and got...one penalty.  Wherein the message was sent pretty clearly to Roussel not to do that.  Was going to be one of those games where you don't do what they do or else.  Even Lehner came out like a proud chicken strutting his stuff.  Vegas was full of confidence, we quickly weren't.  They steamrolled us and we bobbled and fumbled and couldn't get anything going.

Doesn't mean the series will be that way.  They're a tough team, but they're not unbeatable.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can't see Reaves hoist that Cup. I just can't. That big dumb goofy look on his face, arrrg.

He looks like someone who bullied all of the weaker kids in school when he was young, and took great joy in it.  

Well we saw a legit rat hoist a cup. Anything is possible.

Hate to burst the Canucks bubble, but the Blues that showed up to this tournament weren't the same SC champions that won last year. Probably wasn't even the same regular season team that played. STL just wasn't into it. Great confidence boost for the young Canucks, but now they're facing the real test. A team who wants to win, and is strong at all positions.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hate to burst the Canucks bubble, but the Blues that showed up to this tournament weren't the same SC champions that won last year. Probably wasn't even the same regular season team that played. STL just wasn't into it. Great confidence boost for the young Canucks, but now they're facing the real test. A team who wants to win, and is strong at all positions.

Vegas is beatable, the question is can the Canucks solve them fast enough? I'm with Burkie, the Canucks get a pass on last night given what they just accomplished and the accelerated schedule. 

The boys have bounced back from hard losses a couple of times this playoff, I expect a very different effort tomorrow. 

I think some people here are missing the point

It is extremely important that management get to see our club play against playoff teams in an extended series so that we can actually see how we stack up and where improvements need to be made.

Just as equally important, is that our young players get experience against higher ranked clubs in a playoff format, which is intense, and a much different creature, than regular season.

In saying all that, it is only game 1, and there is still alot of hockey to be played, lets see how the rest of the games unfold, and not write their outcome before they are played.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Don't know what your smoking but I want some !!!!  ranked no 2 in nhl standing with 42 wins all season long unless they are paying to be there. it ain't no fluke I guess Boston paid off the reffs as well to be ranked no 1.  This nhl is all rigged up.  I guess las vegas outbid everyone to win the Stanley this year... 

Him and and his buddy are just whiny goofs ruining it for the rest of us. Try not to pay attention to their piss poor attitude as soon as a little thing someone else losing a hockey game ruins their day and makes them spit out hateful garbage like 5 year olds.

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think some people here are missing the point

It is extremely important that management get to see our club play against playoff teams in an extended series so that we can actually see how we stack up and where improvements need to be made.

Just as equally important, is that our young players get experience against higher ranked clubs in a playoff format, which is intense, and a much different creature, than regular season.

In saying all that, it is only game 1, and there is still alot of hockey to be played, lets see how the rest of the games unfold, and not write their outcome before they are played.

we didn't see the best of the team last night, they didn't come out with the same jump at all. If the team can solve this like they did the last two series its going to be really fun to watch. 

But if they can't, thats where Jim has to step in during the offseason and bring in whats needed. But it was just one game, we don't really know what that is until we see the best of the Canucks show up for this series. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

we didn't see the best of the team last night, they didn't come out with the same jump at all. If the team can solve this like they did the last two series its going to be really fun to watch. 

But if they can't, thats where Jim has to step in during the offseason and bring in whats needed. But it was just one game, we don't really know what that is until we see the best of the Canucks show up for this series. 

Regardless of what happens the issue is defense. We need better D. That will be tough to rectify unless you get lucky in FA.

The Vegas team is a different kind of beast - tough, big, skilled and FAST.  Think their ability to play fast was part of what got us in trouble.  We were able out out skate Minnie and the Blues - not so last night.

Coaching staff has their work cut out for them.  Not sure we have an answer for Reeves - possibly the best would be to ignore him as much as possible.  The Knights are the kings of chirps.

Game 2  - hoping for a totally different game

Lets go Canucks

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Vegas is beatable, the question is can the Canucks solve them fast enough? I'm with Burkie, the Canucks get a pass on last night given what they just accomplished and the accelerated schedule. 

The boys have bounced back from hard losses a couple of times this playoff, I expect a very different effort tomorrow. 

I think they're beatable too, the Canucks have beaten them before. Seeing the Knights players laughing at the Canucks from the bench, Reaves having a field day, enjoying himself with the refs, making chicken noises, etc. Roussel looked like the only Canuck to show up and give his all. Was the rest of the team planning the parade after they beat STL? I sure hope they come out better next game, Game 1 was embarrassing, as Canada's last team.

• Cheers 1

They were well prepared for us and had extra time to do it. Vegas was attacking the second pass like they knew where it was going most times. Hughes, Bo, Petey, all heavily blanketed. They disrupted our breakouts over and over.  Lehner was stone cold solid in there too and gave them confidence, with a lead, to really limit us in the neutral zone and our own end.  Marky was a little loose tonight too but obviously this is not on him by any stretch.  And that was the best counter punching game I've seen in awhile.  We would get some zone time maybe a couple of shots and then when they possessed the puck bang one pass, defense to offense, to the neutral zone and a couple of strides and they are carrying it into our zone. By comparison we were making three short passes in our end trying to break it out.  Usually one of those passes was tipped our blocked. Maybe we should be looking at more stretch passes. Throw the long ball a little more and let Virt, Gaudette, Mott chase it down.  

Put this one behind us and come back with a tighter effort.  Green will have to do something with our breakouts and keep people in line when we get behind.  Last night people started to try and do a little too much to try and make a play and ended up turning it over.  

Time to see what we have with this team.  Horvat will have to have a big game and turn this around like O'Rielly did to us.  You want the C well here you go.  

Boys, to win a hockey game you need to score more goals than the other team. How many goals did we score????

26 shots and nada

Marky saves 34 and gets lit for 5.

I write that off as bad game and now we need to make a few adjusts and get some needed rest!!!

AND DON"T POKE THE BEAR!!!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

Vegas should hope he does not wake up in this series. Its hilarious that Vegas is doing the exact same thing and playing the same way has the 2011 Canucks yet the 2011 Canucks were the most hated team in NHL by the media and fans. Ron McLean literally is having a field day with Reeves yet burrows played the same way and had more points 

They are asking for trouble doing that :lol:. Petey is going to hulkify in the off-season if we don't beat these nerds. Forsberg came into the league around the same size as Petey. Can Petey will out like him I'm not sure. But he can whoop their ass as the skinny kid he already is lol. I hope MacEwen draws in. I don't want him chasing or staging a fight with Reaves.. but if it naturally happens out of a fit of anger i'd love to see him thrown down fearless vs reaves. 

Cannot do a staged fight tho cuz that plays into Reaves game. It has to be a response type fight from a big hit or Reaves going after him for laying the body on their guys. I don't think its really fair to ask MacEwen to fight Reaves but i'd be ecstatic if he did and held his own. Don't want him forcing the issue tho for sure. Loui needs to come out. He isn't as effective vs this vegas team.

• Upvote 2