The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Aug. 23, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

We weren't sharp today. I agree with green's take on the game. We missed connecting on passes that we normally make. Plays where I was expecting the team to transition up ice but we bobbled it or made a weak pass that got tipped or intercepted. 

I am curious as well as to whether this was due to the Vegas speed or just not being focused. I felt like our guys had enough time to make the plays but just didn't make them today. 

Looking forward to game 2. I am hoping to see a much  sharper team. This was not the team we saw in game 6 against the Blues. 

Im slightly disappointed that our leadership didn't rally the troops in the first intermission but again, playoffs are a marathon. Let's see how they come out in game 2.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

St. Louis is a crap team with a crap goalie that got hot for a bit, Green did not lead us past them, our players were better by a long shot.

Don't know what your smoking but I want some !!!!  ranked no 2 in nhl standing with 42 wins all season long unless they are paying to be there. it ain't no fluke I guess Boston paid off the reffs as well to be ranked no 1.  This nhl is all rigged up.  I guess las vegas outbid everyone to win the Stanley this year... 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He's already been the coach to get us to the next level, seeing as how this is our first time being in the 2nd round in 9 years.

Actually, Greeners gotten us to at least the next 3 levels - win a best of 5, win a best of 7, make the playoffs. 

• Vintage 3

11 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Actually, Greeners gotten us to at least the next 3 levels - win a best of 5, win a best of 7, make the playoffs. 

if we win this series and next does it mean we won the stanley cup? In my mind we did since playoffs are only 4 rounds if it was actually a normal year...anyways canucks nation didn't want to win this year because the naysayers didn't want us to be known as winning the covid cup of 2020.... so just relax and see how far we can actually get into the playoffs its our first playoffs in a long long time enjoy the kids and what is left of summer .... hockey in summer priceless.  

Edited by aznmonk

45 minutes ago, Cluminati* said:

Lehner thanked Roussel for getting him going and asked for more in the upcoming games. Finishes off his statement with... ’he’s just poking the bear’. 

Which grown man talks like that?! Lol!

Time to light this guy up like we did Stalock and Binnington. We’ll do more than poke him.

He wasn’t really lying tho... Roussel kind of embarrassed himself the whole night

1 hour ago, viking mama said:

And this means?? Canucks were hanging on for dear life? Canucks got treed? Lame post. 

Lehner is the panda.  He's implying that he didn't have to face a lot of action and was just watching from afar.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Has the NHL checked Lehner's gear?  Looks like he's wearing multiple layers, the dude is massive and I though Nilsson was big.  What do they feed these viking swedish goalies

Swedish meatballs!!!!! This is our strategy go out first game. so vegas thinks this is a breeze and let their guards down and BAAAM canucks strike.... with  4-1 series win reverse psychology....

We have played 10 games in 22 days. Come of a series where we played 6 games in 10 days.

had a single day off and back in. Normally the reward for winning a series early is a few days off,  but not this time, however because of the schedule Vegas started earlier and thus would get a day or two extra and wrapped up their series earlier to get some more days off.

I think this is really telling, the guys need a rest, need to heal up and just recuperate. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

IT is the same way the Canucks lost against Minnesota 3-0 and now 5-0.  I haven't watched the full game, only here and there.  Let's see if they will adjust for Tuesday's game and I think they will.  There is no way that they would target Hughes every time and they might get burnt with rush the other way with open space.  Hughes will figure it out how to counterpunch.  Also I am not liking Benn, and he got burnt a few times on the rush.  I think it's time to use OJ in the game to counterpunch the Knights' attack with good first pass so that the Canucks would get its momentum back with Hughes on that pairing and OJ on other pairing and see what will happen if Myers is not available. If there is one line either Petterson line or Horvat's , they need good passes from defence to make things happen.   They can't attack so they need good first pass from the defence.  I liked OJ from Wild series and he did a fine job and gave us another attacking dimension that we haven't had for a long time.

22 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

We have played 10 games in 22 days. Come of a series where we played 6 games in 10 days.

had a single day off and back in. Normally the reward for winning a series early is a few days off,  but not this time, however because of the schedule Vegas started earlier and thus would get a day or two extra and wrapped up their series earlier to get some more days off.

I think this is really telling, the guys need a rest, need to heal up and just recuperate. 

I agree with you there but I'm not sure what NHL is doing but every other teams don't get much rest either with more back to back games.  

I think that there will be some rest after this series but it might be too late.  The Canucks need to find a way to stay sharp.  If they finished in game 7 against the Blues, they would have to play 2 back to back games as I have seen from Eastern conference with 2 back to backs.  I think it is NY Islanders-Flyers series having 2 back to back games in the series starting tomorrow..  Vegas has more advantage in term of rest and a day off golfing by finishing off Chicago in 5.

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

St. Louis is a crap team with a crap goalie that got hot for a bit, Green did not lead us past them, our players were better by a long shot.

Parayko and Pietrangelo are 2 of the top 10 defensemen in the game.  They are the defending champs for a reason.

• Vintage 2

i honestly fail to see the reasoning with the lineup shakeup to start the game when it's been working for you the last 2 games. i don't have great confidence in this series i expect a quick 4-5 games from vegas.. for whatever reason they own markstrom's number.. he's now 2-7 against them with a GAA of almost 4.5

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, aznmonk said:

if we win this series and next does it mean we won the stanley cup? In my mind we did since playoffs are only 4 rounds if it was actually a normal year...anyways canucks nation didn't want to win this year because the naysayers didn't want us to be known as winning the covid cup of 2020.... so just relax and see how far we can actually get into the playoffs its our first playoffs in a long long time enjoy the kids and what is left of summer .... hockey in summer priceless.  

Errr in what way was my post against Greener or say I was a naysayer.... I was praising him... idk what u r sying men when u jump thot 2 thot aznmonk engsh 2oo kewl

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Rookie year Jake would have obliterated him. I think that was Stephenson. I yelled at my screen when he slammed on the brakes 3 feet from him. 

Reminds me of the time Bertuzzi ran over Barrett Jackmam in the playoffs or Raffi Torres on Seabrook except this time, there was no hit... 

I wonder what was going through Jake's mind there... 

happy ice hockey GIF by NHL

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I agree with you there but I'm not sure what NHL is doing but every other teams don't get much rest either with more back to back games.  

I think that there will be some rest after this series but it might be too late.  The Canucks need to find a way to stay sharp.  If they finished in game 7 against the Blues, they would have to play 2 back to back games as I have seen from Eastern conference with 2 back to backs.  I think it is NY Islanders-Flyers series having 2 back to back games in the series starting tomorrow..  Vegas has more advantage in term of rest and a day off golfing by finishing off Chicago in 5.

I’m guessing the condensed schedule is then looking to

a - keep Interest by having hockey on most days

b- pressue by networks

c- with a view to next season. The quicker the post season is done the quicker next season can start or at least the more time is given to work out/implement whatever that is.

i just wish that they have given 2 or 3 days of rather then straight into the next series

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

The extra day after the first series was very appreciated - Markstrom said as much after game one (St Louis) saying a lot of guys were playing with bumps and minor ailments from those games (if people already forgot that was a rough series too).   How many times has EP being knocked down now?  Over 50 times easily.   Then a harder series physically and no extra day.    Yes these guys are into now with sore sore body’s  - in the early 80’s this would be the conference final under normal circumstances...Vegas is rested and just played ahem CHI and had their way with them.    A warm up really. 

Im not too worried - already feel we’ve done more then we could hope for and anyone saying St Louis didn’t play well or hard wasn’t watching.   Blaming Binnington is foolish too - most of those goals would have gone in no matter who was playing we just have his number.  

We went from playing the best game of the playoffs - were we were all over the reigning cup champs - to the worst game.   And on Reaves.   Hate the “new NHL” ...he’s not even that great of a fighter by old enforcer standards, middle of the row - wonder if Berube needs a job ha ha.  Seriously though those guys are invaluable - make your teammates feel two feet taller.   And he’s the last one standing.  Only Boychuk, Wilson and maybe Gudbranson could have a chance at this guy in a fight ... 

The best way to deal with Reaves is goad him into dumb penalties and burn them on the PP.   And do it all series eventually his ass will get stapled to the bench - that’s about it.  McEwen could fight him but that probably won’t go well ... I’d play TT not McEwen once he’s available which hopefully is soon - and we need Myers back posthaste. 

Edited by IBatch