The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL announces sanctions to Coyotes for violation of League’s Combine Testing Policy

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Did I make a trade proposal? How can I be massively over-valuing picks when I never made a proposal? Not only that but Ekman Larsson has a NMC. He is going nowhere unless he wants to. He can pull a Kesler and get nowhere near what his value is. If ownership wants his gone it is clearly not salary they want coming back so that leaves prospects and draft picks. I think ownership is dumb to trade him cause of that NMC but if they want to, like I said, I am happy to give them some draft picks.

We don't know if Sutter couldn't be moved. What we do now is he was constantly injured and underperforming and JB didn't want to just throw him away for nothing. These playoffs have shown that Sutter still has gas in the tank and can still play and is a good veteran leader. I don't think there will be any issues finding a suitor for sutter in the offseason. 

This isn't about Arizona finding cap space. It's the ownership, that was reported, that is going to sit down with Larsson and decide on the future... that does not sound good. It sounds like they want to sell the farm and restart. Who really knows what is going on in the heads of Arizona's owner(s). Arizona is a dumpster fire so I will not not be surprised to see them trade Ekman Larsson for scraps.

Because you're making it sound like we can toss them a couple of picks and they'd jump all over it, nevermind the fact that our picks will likely be mid-late round ones especially if we add someone like OEL. Our picks would only be secondary to what we would have to give up. I imagine if we were to make a package, it would have to be something like Boeser, 1st, 2nd and probably one of Hoglander/Juolevi/Lind.

They are approaching him to see what direction he wants to go in. If he wants to stay (like I said, he chose to stay in Arizona in the first place despite them being sub-par teams for years anyway), then he will stay and he will be part of the team transitioning the next group, much like Edler. They are working the situation out with him for what's best for him. This is different than Kesler forcing his way out.

If it was that easy to move out 4.2 million in cap, it would've been just as easy to move out Baertschi. We may find a suitor for Sutter, but it won't be without us taking back cap, retaining cap or adding something extra to move him. Cap is at a premium now.

They may trade OEL, but any competent management would not move him for "scraps". Then still need to run a team. They aren't just going to dump all salary. They'll simply want to get younger which could still include young players with salary. Another example is that he could go to Colorado for Girard, 1st and 2nd to get Colorado a #1 with Byram taking over what Girard leaves behind. The point is draft picks are of secondary value in moving OEL.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Because you're making it sound like we can toss them a couple of picks and they'd jump all over it, nevermind the fact that our picks will likely be mid-late round ones especially if we add someone like OEL. Our picks would only be secondary to what we would have to give up. I imagine if we were to make a package, it would have to be something like Boeser, 1st, 2nd and probably one of Hoglander/Juolevi/Lind.

They are approaching him to see what direction he wants to go in. If he wants to stay (like I said, he chose to stay in Arizona in the first place despite them being sub-par teams for years anyway), then he will stay and he will be part of the team transitioning the next group, much like Edler. They are working the situation out with him for what's best for him. This is different than Kesler forcing his way out.

If it was that easy to move out 4.2 million in cap, it would've been just as easy to move out Baertschi. We may find a suitor for Sutter, but it won't be without us taking back cap, retaining cap or adding something extra to move him. Cap is at a premium now.

They may trade OEL, but any competent management would not move him for "scraps". Then still need to run a team. They aren't just going to dump all salary. They'll simply want to get younger which could still include young players with salary. Another example is that he could go to Colorado for Girard, 1st and 2nd to get Colorado a #1 with Byram taking over what Girard leaves behind. The point is draft picks are of secondary value in moving OEL.

Gretzky was traded for 20m dollars so please tell me again how ownership being poor and wanting to cut salary won't end up with OEL being potentially given away when he has a FULL NMC. He has ownership by the balls and can go wherever he likes. Ownership wants him out that is the only reason why owners would approach a player and talk to him about the "future" of the team. It is clear they want to try and pressure him into waiving that NMC. 

7 hours ago, Dekey Pete said:

I guess this really blows up a lot of the league conspiracy theories eh?  Being that Bettman's non-traditional hockey market teams get special treatment.  It's almost like the league is run by a board of governors consisting of mostly the owners of every single NHL team, and Bettman just carries out their wishes.

There moving to Quebec, so it’s a nice screw u gift from BettmAn

9 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Gretzky was traded for 20m dollars so please tell me again how ownership being poor and wanting to cut salary won't end up with OEL being potentially given away when he has a FULL NMC. He has ownership by the balls and can go wherever he likes. Ownership wants him out that is the only reason why owners would approach a player and talk to him about the "future" of the team. It is clear they want to try and pressure him into waiving that NMC. 

I always laugh any time someone uses the Gretzky trade to support their arguement.  It was 30 years ago. The NHL today bears little resemblance to the NHL he was traded in.  Gone are the days of being able to sell a contract.  There was no such thing as a salary cap. No such thing as no trade clauses. 

The Coyotes are in cap trouble and have very few picks.  That’s why insiders are SPECULATING that they might be open to moving players. To my knowledge there hasn’t been any reports of them specifically shopping OEL. 

Even if they were. Vancouver would need to pull of a miracle to make cap space for him. And even then there are other teams in a better position to offer a significant package for him. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

I always laugh any time someone uses the Gretzky trade to support their arguement.  It was 30 years ago. The NHL today bears little resemblance to the NHL he was traded in.  Gone are the days of being able to sell a contract.  There was no such thing as a salary cap. No such thing as no trade clauses. 

The Coyotes are in cap trouble and have very few picks.  That’s why insiders are SPECULATING that they might be open to moving players. To my knowledge there hasn’t been any reports of them specifically shopping OEL. 

Even if they were. Vancouver would need to pull of a miracle to make cap space for him. And even then there are other teams in a better position to offer a significant package for him. 

The shine on OEL has worn off for me. When he re-upped his contract on that team it showed me his desire to win a cup is next to none. Sunshine, golf, lifestyle mattered more to him then a cup or cup run.

3 hours ago, peaches5 said:

3.5m to Ferland, who will likely never play again, will be on LTIR.

They can't use the full 3.5M though otherwise they won't be able to recall players or add players mid-season (eg Podkolzin).  If they are in LTIR relief they can't bank cap space so they have to keep the full cap hit available to be able to add anyone.  The recall cap hit also has to include the performance bonus still attainable under LTIR.  It's going to be challenging to have a player on LTIR given the number of ELC players with performance bonuses.   Teams with players on LTIR can hardly build a regular roster up to the salary cap.  

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

As for Wayne Gretzky you're right its not the same because there was no salary cap or contract limitations and Edmonton still traded the best player to ever play the game for 20m dollars because they wanted to cut salary. Ekman-Larsson is much more likely to be traded than Gretzky was. 

This has nothing to do with having few picks.. Elliotte Friedman was the one who said ownership is meeting with Ekman-Larson, this was before the draft pick penalties. Why would ownership do this? The only reason they do this is to try and get him to waive that NMC. How badly do they want his salary gone? If he says I want to go to Vancouver and that's it then Vancouver can dictate the trade and its not going to be a hockey trade. It will be a fleecing. 

9 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

As for Wayne Gretzky you're right its not the same because there was no salary cap or contract limitations and Edmonton still traded the best player to ever play the game for 20m dollars because they wanted to cut salary. Ekman-Larsson is much more likely to be traded than Gretzky was. 

This has nothing to do with having few picks.. Elliotte Friedman was the one who said ownership is meeting with Ekman-Larson, this was before the draft pick penalties. Why would ownership do this? The only reason they do this is to try and get him to waive that NMC. How badly do they want his salary gone? If he says I want to go to Vancouver and that's it then Vancouver can dictate the trade and its not going to be a hockey trade. It will be a fleecing. 

Lol sure. In that fantasy scenario where OEL pulls a Kesler and only agrees to one place. Yeah. It’ll be a fleecing. You’re already in fantasy land thinking Vancouver will easily be able to dump their unwanted contracts so what’s another giant leap of logic 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Lol sure. In that fantasy scenario where OEL pulls a Kesler and only agrees to one place. Yeah. It’ll be a fleecing. You’re already in fantasy land thinking Vancouver will easily be able to dump their unwanted contracts so what’s another giant leap of logic 

Cause Sutter has no value right? Roussel has no value too? JB has already stated they have players that other teams want they just didn't want to trade them. He is not concerned with the cap. JB has shown he is far too honest so you believe that is accurate. 

A guy who has a full NMC and has shown he wants to stay in one place is suddenly going to waive this NMC and allow himself to be traded the highest paying bidder... That is fantasy land. This guy is going to pick one of two locations, if he is persuaded to waive his NMC, and if you look at our roster with the amount of Swedes on it and the direction this team is going it's not a giant leap of logic to think Vancouver would be a place he wants to go.

Kesler didn't agree to go to one place. Kesler demanded a trade to Anaheim. He wanted nothing to do with Vancouver's "rebuild" and demanded to be set to Anaheim and nowhere else. We were lucky to get what we did.

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Cause Sutter has no value right? Roussel has no value too? JB has already stated they have players that other teams want they just didn't want to trade them. He is not concerned with the cap. JB has shown he is far too honest so you believe that is accurate. 

A guy who has a full NMC and has shown he wants to stay in one place is suddenly going to waive this NMC and allow himself to be traded the highest paying bidder... That is fantasy land. This guy is going to pick one of two locations, if he is persuaded to waive his NMC, and if you look at our roster with the amount of Swedes on it and the direction this team is going it's not a giant leap of logic to think Vancouver would be a place he wants to go.

Kesler didn't agree to go to one place. Kesler demanded a trade to Anaheim. He wanted nothing to do with Vancouver's "rebuild" and demanded to be set to Anaheim and nowhere else. We were lucky to get what we did.

In a NHL where the cap is going to be flat for a minimum of three years cap space is incredibly valuable.  There are a limited number of teams with cap flexibility. It’s going to be a buyers market for teams with cap space. Everyone else will have to rely on hickey trades where cap in = cap out.  You’re fooling yourself if you think teams are going to do Vancouver a favour by taking a guy like Sutter. He’s overpaid for where he plays in the lineup and he can’t stay healthy.  Vancouver is going to need to pony up a good asset to move him or they’ll need to rest Ian a significant portion of his contract.  

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

In a NHL where the cap is going to be flat for a minimum of three years cap space is incredibly valuable.  There are a limited number of teams with cap flexibility. It’s going to be a buyers market for teams with cap space. Everyone else will have to rely on hickey trades where cap in = cap out.  You’re fooling yourself if you think teams are going to do Vancouver a favour by taking a guy like Sutter. He’s overpaid for where he plays in the lineup and he can’t stay healthy.  Vancouver is going to need to pony up a good asset to move him or they’ll need to rest Ian a significant portion of his contract.  

Nope.

it's hard not to 'schadenfreude' this.

what a bizarre entity that franchise has been.  to think they were once the great and glorious Winnipeg Jets.  What a fall from grace.

Raising Arizona - Block U

anyhow...

To Montreal:

OEL

Dvorak

To Arizona:

Drouin

Lekhonen

Cale Fleury

Kulak

2nd

lol.  this might be the worst time possible to have to deal a franchise player's contract - a player that has a NMC. 

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

They are letting OEL know what direction they're heading in and want to know if he wants to be part of it. We did the same thing with the Sedins and they wanted to stay (although not sure if they were tradable if they had to go together, but that's besides the point) and be part of the rebuild process. OEL has spent his entire career there and signed on for 8 more years, there's a good chance he stays. If he's open to being moved though, then yes he's in control, but likely he will be asked which say 5 teams he would be willing to go to. This isn't OEL forcing the situation. Ownership is being open and honest and OEL will respect that.

The topic brought up was that they have picks taken away and they are very close to the cap, so apparently there must be a connection to this. They have other pieces they could move to be cap compliant/shed cap if needed. Another scenario is they want to know if he's open to being moved in say a massive deal where Matthews goes to Arizona and OEL goes to Toronto if OEL is okay with it, but they have to discuss with him. They will never sell OEL for "scraps". They are not desperate to move him.

28 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

No said Sutter has no value. Being able to trade Sutter and get his full 4.2 million off the books is the challenge. Perhaps a team is willing to take him on, but not without some retention. Teams know cap space is a premium right now, so no team is going to take on that much cap that easily. Roussel may be moveable, but it's not enough to fit in 8.5 million dollars. We may have to move a Roussel (and/or buyout Sutter or trade with retention) just to be able to fit Markstrom and Tanev. OEL is an LD which overloads that side if we acquire and puts us short a top 4 RD, while making it tough to re-sign Marky as well.

We may have players that other teams want, but that could be someone like Gaudette or Motte for example. He never said there's demand on all of the players on our roster.

I'm not concerned about the cap either to be honest, but that's only when it comes to trying to sign Marky and Tanev. Not trying to fit in 8.5 million dollars. If we could work out that much cap, then we may as well try and go after Pietrangelo would would fit our needs better.

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Now do two lotteries for their draft picks where all 31 teams (Including Seattle) get a equal chance at winning them. 

They’ll just skip over the picks. Easy peasy. Everyone behind where they would have been moves up a spot.